Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rant About No Restriction

I am at a plateau but I am done feeling guilty about it. My band is not tight enough yet, and my doc has delayed my next fill until he can arrange to have all his fills done with a ’scope at the hospital. (I'm at 8ccs in a 14cc band).

I have been eating Protein first, drinking after meals, and keeping my calories between 1200-1500. I tried to get down to 1,000 a day but without feeling restriction, it’s impossible.

I’m working out 6 days a week (4-5 30 min. aerobic; 1-2 weight training).

Am I still sneaking in some chocolate? Yes, but not enough to explain the plateau; I’ve stayed within the 1200-1500 calories.

Without a band, I hit a plateau five years ago when I got down to 235lbs (from 275); this feels similar (240 from 272). My body is fighting me again and the band hasn’t kicked in. Still, I’m not giving up. I’ve reduced my diabetes meds by 75%; five years ago was when I found out I was diabetic and started taking the meds.

Rant over.

:)

I hadn't gotten any restriction until this last (third) fill--and I'm sorry to say it only lasted about two weeks--so I'm back on my own personal restriction. And yep, I've been on a plateau for about two weeks--no change, even by 1/10th!

I'm just doing the exact same thing I've been doing--limiting my food and exercising four days a week (you're ahead of me in that area!!) so I KNOW it's bound to kick in sooner or later.

I'm looking forward to my March 14 appointment for that next fill and restriction again!! :)

I'm there too, I had my second fill last friday and the doctor didn't really want to do it. Now i'm thinking she took some out because i'm really hungry, much hungrier than i was last week. I'm going to wait until Friday and call them again. Do you think the hunger is in my head, I don't feel that restriction way up high when i eat anymore.

Honestly, Novbeginning, after getting restriction on my third fill I can say that I never had restriction with the first two fills.

And man, it's tough when you don't have restriction--I really have to keep my hunger at bay and an awful lot of it is your own personal restraint. When I had restriction for two weeks, I really knew what it was like to be Banded!

We just have to hang in there until we finally get a great adjustment...:)

Thanks for the encouragement from bandsters that are still in "hell." Band33 that was especially encouraging since I too was banded in Oct., 10/18/07. Like I said, trying to stay positive and control what I can control until my doc lets me know when I can have my third fill. Boy, I would love to eat a half-cup meal and say, "I'm full!" lol :)

Jack, as for the diabetes medication reduction, I've lost 30+ pounds and studies indicate say that even before you lost a lot of weight, the surgery seems to help reduce your insulin resistance. Five years ago, I began losing weight because I had just found out I was diabetic and was "scared straight" into going back on a diet. Lost 40lbs in 5 months, then the plateau hit and I eventually regained the weight.

Lori

You are not alone, please do not get discouraged!!

I was banded on 10-25-07 and have lost 40lbs post op & 25 pre op - that's the good news. I have been at this plateau for over a month. My second fill was on 1-12-08, had some slight restriction for two days then it just became shear willpower (still is). My next fill is sst for 3/4 - can't wait.

Still all in all I'm happy, I am off the sleep apnea machine, med's down to 1/2 pill from 2 for blood pressure. My blood work came back great - no longer border line diabetic, chloesterol is good - best of all I feel better.

Went from a 52" waist to a 48" waist, from a 3x shirt to a 2x sometimes a 1x.

All this in 4 months, can't wait to see where this band takes me.

I have not lost any weight since November 2006. I had by lapband surgery on April of 2006. I lost 86 lbs. Its pretty frustraing because I wanted the lap band because I know what to eat just not how to stop! If I have to rely on my will power again I WILL FAIL!! Maybe I'm stupid but I know the lapband is a tool, but I need restriction. Also my doctor said my last fill (on February 15, 2008) was the last fill. My band can hold 4 ccs and my last fill had me at 3.2 ccs. Any suggestions?

wow i know how you feel i was banded nov 06 and went last week for my third fill and the dr. said lets try it without it for a while because it is your last fill...what the heck, i thought this was a life tool no one ever told me that there was a limit on fills, i have this"tool" for life inside me and i get 3 fills? what the heck...i am so diappointed in it all i have lost 66 lbs but have 50 more to go, and i feel like i have no restriction.

wow i know how you feel i was banded nov 06 and went last week for my third fill and the dr. said lets try it without it for a while because it is your last fill...what the heck, i thought this was a life tool no one ever told me that there was a limit on fills, i have this"tool" for life inside me and i get 3 fills? what the heck...i am so diappointed in it all i have lost 66 lbs but have 50 more to go, and i feel like i have no restriction.

Elketta, why is your doctor saying that this is your last fill? What size band do you have, and what is your current fill level? :smile2:

Thanks for the encouragement from bandsters that are still in "hell." Band33 that was especially encouraging since I too was banded in Oct., 10/18/07. Like I said, trying to stay positive and control what I can control until my doc lets me know when I can have my third fill. Boy, I would love to eat a half-cup meal and say, "I'm full!" lol :smile2:

Moviejunkie32, I had my surgery a couple of weeks before you, and I'm also at 8 cc in my 14 cc band. I also wish I could eat only a half-cup meal and be satisfied for 3-4 hours. My next appt is in early April, and I have a feeling that I'll get another fill. Some days I feel more restricted than others. Do you feel this way?

I am in a similar situation. I was banded on 11/24/07 a 11ml band I believe and after 4 fills Iam now at 7ml. He took me from 4 to 7 the other day under flour..yuck! he says no slips or problems of any kind and did not believe me when I said I feel nothing. He had me do the cold Water thing..actually took me to 7 1/2 but took out a half he thought it was too muh. I am very dissapointed! I thought I would feel full longer and real restriction..granted I am still on "liquids" but I snuck some mushies to see if it was different from liquids and not too much ..will I feel more restriction with solid Protein, is that when you can really tell?

I sure hope so..this was a self pay and I see everyone on atkins/south beach etc I could have done that without that band!!

I got banded on Oct 23 2007, I lost 30 pounds after the surgery. Since Decemeber I have not lost anything!! I have a fill on Jan 7, and I just had a fill last week. It does not make me feel full. I can eat anything what the hell is going on? I have no tool inside me working? I thought it was a tool to help with weight loss it is doing nothing. HELP!!!!!!