Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heartburn and Restriction

I started getting a little heartburn a few days before I got the stomach flu a couple of weeks ago. I took some Prilosec OTC for a couple of days and it went away. Then I got the flu, and I stopped taking it. The heartburn came back a few days after I started feeling better. But I would feel sick after I ate every time...no matter what I ate. It wasn't a sick in my little stomach- but sick in my big stomach. I thought it was the fact that I was eating crap-so I tried to watch it...still felt yucky. I even thought that maybe I had done something to my band after throwing up, but I could feel that it had nothing to do with the area of my band. I also was really tight, and even tried going to liquids for a day or so. That didn't work either.

So, a week or so ago, I started taking the Prilosec again. What a relief. I now feel so much better and have no heartburn. But, I also don't have the sickness feeling after I eat. And the real kicker- my restriction is way less. I guess my stomach was kicking up the acid and causing trouble.

This post has a point...maybe the amount of acid in our stomach causes our restiction to vary. Hmmm...something to think about.

Megan

Hi Megan,

Sorry you had to go thru that experience. I haven't had those issues yet while banded but I had it on occassion before banding and it stunk. Hopefully it ends for you soon and things mellow out. Best wishes, Teresa

I have really bad heartburn now, and im not banded yet.. I hope it will not give me to much trouble when I DO get banded. Im on prescription meds for my heart burn. If I dont take them I get heartburn 3-4 times a day its so bad my eyes Water. Im actually hoping it will go away after being banded. We will just see.

Thought #1--The area where stomach acid is NOT supposed to be--the esophagus--might, when exposed to acid, bcome swollen as well as irritated, and then the restriction could increase. Just a theory. What do I know?

Thought #2--For those with pre-existing reflux, the band "cures" the problem more often than not. It's those of us who never had reflux pre-op who have to watch out.

You made a very good point Megan. I have been feeling more acid in my lower stomach and had to start taking the medication the Doctor gave me to calm it down. I add it up to my sinus acting up again. I have more restriction just trying to drink coffee today.

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! I'm feeling much better.

Geezer Sue- I think your first thought makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again...

Megan

I agree with Megan on Sue's first thought, it make total sense. When I had esophagitis my esophagus was so swollen I could not eat any solids. The prevacid really helped me to repair my damage esophagus.

Yuck! Glad you're doing better!!!! I wonder if stress plays any part in acid reflux??? Could be it's one of those things that all sorts of outside factors play a part in.

I had acid reflux almost daily..

I havnt had it since the band..

day 16

I agree with Megan on Sue's first thought, it make total sense. When I had esophagitis my esophagus was so swollen I could not eat any solids. The prevacid really helped me to repair my damage esophagus.
What causes esophagitis? Did you get this because of something to do with your band?

You are right I think, Sue. I had SEVERE reflux before the band, since I was banded I have not had one episode. Not one time.

Thought #2--For those with pre-existing reflux, the band "cures" the problem more often than not. It's those of us who never had reflux pre-op who have to watch out.
I think the band can and does cure reflux for people who had it prior to banding, but I don't think those people are necessarily immune to reflux post-banding if they get over-tightened. I have no scientific basis for this belief, but I don't think there's any scientific basis for the other assumption either (correct me if I'm wrong). wink.gif

I'm one of those who never had reflux prior to banding, and now I am very prone to it (even when I'm not really that tight). I have felt a lot of resentment about this, but in the long run I think it has helped to make the band work for me since I am afraid of overindulging and causing reflux.

-Yvonne

260/172/160, 5'8.5" tall

Midband July 2002

I decided to continue this thread since it is rather recent instead of staring a new one. I have had a tight restriction for about 5 1/2 months (2.75 cc). Since January, I've had lots of issues with restriction and an irritated esophagus. About 1 week ago, I got sever heartburn, it feels like near the stoma and lower esophagus. i take pepcid or tums and it subsides but i pretty much get it any time I eat. also i have pb'ing where gooey saliva (yes the technical term) comes back up even though the food/liquid or whatever passes through the band or so it seems. sometimes i vomit a few times a week (especially lately)

the dilemma l is that i like this restriction and the weight that it is keeping me at but don't feel like dealing with reflux and vomit. does anyone have any advice or experince a smilar thing? i appreciate any insight you wondeful bandsters may have and wish you all the best.

-g

215/155 , 5'7"

Banded 12/2003

Hi Glitz,

Have you talked with your doctor? Last year I started to have some reflux with a fill I'd had for months, and my doctor thought a slight unfill was in order. Even though nothing had changed that I knew of, clearly something had and I wasn't willing to risk anything getting worse.

The good news is that even with the unfill I didn't gain any weight. It's not the fill that's keeping you where you are, it's YOU. If your pain and discomfort continues for lont you may end up avoiding the healthier foods in favor of soft stuff that's low in nutrition and high in calories. That's what I was heading for this last time (I've had another fill and unfill since last year, too).

You don't want to play around with your esophageal health. I think a call to your doctor is in order. Even an unfill of a few tenths of a cc can make a difference!