Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded 1/17 & eating too much

Hello everyone:

I am feeling a little down and depressed about my band. I was banded on 1/17/08 and this thursday it will be 3 weeks since I was banded. I am feeling pretty good except for the port area which is taking longer to heal but I will get there. I have not started exercising yet and have no good reason why. I need to just do it. I am noticing that I can now eat more than before and sometimes I eat too much and it gives me bad pains in my side when I do. I guess my head hunger overcomes me. This morning I didn't do too bad and had cream of wheat for Breakfast and for lunch I had mashed zucchini and squash with tomatoes with fresh garlic and olive oil. It was good but then I had to go and have a some vanilla wafers just because. I am mad at myself for eating them when I didn't need them it was just out of habit. I'm afraid I am going to resort back to all my snacking issues because I feel no restriction at all. My first fill appointment isn't until March 4th so I have to really focus and be good. It is still early on and I was always an emotional eater and now I don't have that anymore. I know I have to find other ways to focus my stress/emotions onto but food was always my comfort. Did anyone else have trouble sticking to the bandster rules of eating before they had their first fill. I still drink when I eat and I think I take bigger bites than I should but it's hard to remember since nothing is happening since I didn't have a fill yet. I hope all that changes after my first fill. I'm just venting and disappointed in myself. I really need some encouragement and advice right now. Thanks guys.

Jeni in PA:frown:

The only thing I will ask is if you realize that your new pouch needs time to heal? Digestive enzymes are very hard on it, and you risk band slippage.

It's very obvious that you weren't mentally ready for this surgery and the key word in these few weeks is "discipline".

Now you are banded and you are risking injury by not following the band's rules. "Mushies and soft foods" are required for so short a period of time--you have the rest of your life to eat solids. And you already know drinking is definitely a no-no.

There's really nothing anyone can say to you, because you've covered it all: you are totally aware of what you are doing wrong and it's YOU that can get back on the right track.

I sure hope you do...

Well, I can remember being where you are now.... band is healing after surgery and you are getting your "normal" hunger signals back.

During the 6 wks post surg. you will probably NOT loose too much weight.. This is a healing time.

That being said it does not give you free licence to go eat everything in the house that is junk.

Eat PROTIEN first, then vegetables, then if you are still hungry eat whole grains... oatmeal (not the instant junk either) Cook it and add a low cal sweetner.... skim milk.

Get lots of yoghurt and cottage cheese in... low fat high Protein options that are easy to digest and FAST to prepare.

I know its tempting to eat the Cookies but remember we are going for lifestyle change here.... I am SAYING THIS TO MYSELF AS I TYPE too...

The only thing I will ask is if you realize that your new pouch needs time to heal? Digestive enzymes are very hard on it, and you risk band slippage.

Digestive enzymes are inside the stomach and are secreted no matter the consistency of the food. It is the physical churning of the stomach and resulting pressure on the new stitches that people are commonly concerned about.

This morning I didn't do too bad and had cream of wheat for breakfast and for lunch I had mashed zucchini and squash with tomatoes with fresh garlic and olive oil.

If you want to stave off hunger, you will need to make Protein the major focus of your meal. eggs for breakfast or perhaps a higher Protein hot Cereal llike Kashi. Add some tuna to your lunch (which sounds delish) and you will feel full longer.

Be patient with yourself--You can do this!!!!!

Hello:

I wanted to thank you all for your responses to my post. I was having a bad morning and just needed some support.

I do have a response to "Make33" in regards to your comment and I quote:

"It's very obvious that you weren't mentally ready for this surgery and the key word in these few weeks is "discipline".

I am looking for support and not judgement on your part. I'm glad your so perfect! I on the other hand had a single lapse over a few vanilla wafers and I realize it was wrong but I don't need you to tell me that I wasn't ready for the surgery. You don't know me and what I have gone thru so please don't judge me unless you know me. I am looking to this board for support and nonjudgemental advice. I wasn't asking you if you thought I was mentally ready. I know what discipline is but if I was perfect than I wouldn't have needed this surgery. I am still at the beginning of my journey and have every intention of doing well despite my lapse this morning.

Jeni in PA :)

:cool2:I was banded Dec. 17th and felt the same way you are. I didn't eat that much the first 2 weeks and had pressure up under my left rib cage. It finally went away with walking more. I started eating more then the 1/4 c. the nutritionist advised us too. If I could have eaten 1/4 cup without the band being filled, I wouldn't have needed the surgery! :-)

I was cold and had no energy eating so little. Each week I started eating just a little more. Between my 3rd and 4th week after surgery, I went out of town. Eating out in restaurants for my evening meal. I could only eat 1/2 of what I normally used to eat. That has pretty much been true until the 6th week after surgery. I felt good and had energy to do things but I was concerned about my eating creeping back up. My weight loss slowed too... :-/ At my 6 week check up, I had the band filled for the first time. It definitely cuts down the amount you can eat. Which, of course, makes it easier to eat better.

I had trouble not drinking also. That has gotten better also since the fill. I still drink a little or I feel like things are uncomfortable... but I'm full and I'm not eating near as much. I'm eating more than 1/4 c. But not more then 1/2 c. at a time. The fullness sneaks up real quick! Just remember after you get your first fill, grab something healthy first, like your Protein. You'll get full quick and the urge to eat something bad WON'T be there! :-)

I'm not an expert in any way about lap-band... Just my experience, which is different for everyone... Hang in there and good luck! :)

Hang in there Jeni! You know you can do this. We are all in the same boat when it comes to problems with food, so even though you had something you might not have wanted, its done and over. Focus on recovery and take care of yourself. Once we get through the hard time between our surgery and first fill it will all be worth it. I know this. My father had the band 4 years ago and lost 160 lbs. He is my inspiration. We can all be yours! You are not in this alone. Take care and good luck!

Jen in PA:

We all come to this site for similar reasons, but the type of support we receive varies because some of us need the straight talk of folks like Make 33 and some of us need the more sympathetic support of the others in this strand.

Please don't be mad at Make 33 or be afraid to post anymore because you are afraid of the negative response. Regardless of how you received Make 33's response, you probably walked away with something to make you rethink what is happening. And thankfully there were some other folks in the strand who provided the type of support you needed in the way you needed it. I guess I am the type that can look at all of the responses, not feel judged, and still walk away with information to make me re-think my behaviors to make this band work.

I have been through similar things that you have been through, but not until I was at the 8-10 week timeframe. I was pretty careful during the first 6 weeks to make sure my stomach healed, but I did slip twice during the first six weeks, but it was more about what I ate and not about how much....

Try to connect with your Dr and nutritionist to get some additional support. Good luck and we all pray for you.

Hey Jeni! You can do it!

i found a non-fat greek yogurt at Central Market (i live in texas, but i know whole foods or other specialty stores carry it... you can probably google too) called Fage. I mix a tiny bit of honey or even sugar free jelly in it. It has 20 grams of Protein per 1 cup serving... so 10 if you only eat 1/2 cup. I have found that it helps me make it to lunch.< /p>

also, from my adkins days, i have returned to the fat free ricotta for a bit of sweet, and good source of Calcium and protein. Just some ideas.

i ate 4 hersey's kisses today, so i too am feeling guilty. it's amazing, i know better, i just couldn't say no. tomorrow will be a better day!

Hi Jeni,

i agree with upping the Protein. eggs with some salsa or something for Breakfast. maybe a slice of cheese melted on top??

you may not be able to eat eggs for long, but eat them while you can. lots of great Protein.< /p>

what about lean meat? how are you doing on that?

if you arent supposed to be on full solids yet, stick with eggs and some Protein drinks.

this period you are in right now is called "bandster hell" for a reason, its not easy and does take willpower to maintain. do necessarily go for losing right now. start the good habits, eat well and move when you can. the band will take care of you once you have a proper restriction. take care and welcome to bandland!

Yes Jeni!

We are sisters. I did everything you are doing and still do sometimes..I too haven't had a fill but i just get up and keep going. You will get better and you will feel better. I know it is hard to not fill guilty because I feel the EXACT same way...You are not alone! We will get better..

I was banded the 22nd, so I know your pain. I am for the most part doing well. I am really trying to change. I start with the protiens and if I decide to eat something it is a bite and I leave it at that. I think as long as youre giving your bod what it needs your good. This is life long so if an occas. wafer is what you want and its 1 or2 and not a box and everything else is a good choice you will suceed. Hang in there. Life is trial and error that is how we learn. Good Luck

I know how you feel .I was banded on 12/19 and Had my 1st fill on 1/30 and no restriction still. I am very discouraged. people said it takes up to 2-4 fills before you feel restriction. I have another fill next week. I'll keep you posted.

Good for you for answering those negative comments. This site is to support each other. We don't need to hear things to make you feel worse or belittle you. Forget your one mistake. Eat Protein first always. Stay away from the sugar wafers( I love them too) and you will be fine.