Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My body, my band, my BETRAYAL

MamaJava,

Sounds like Water weight you're gaining to me. Sometimes a body will do that when you least want it to. I was drinking all my Protein, all my Water for the last two weeks and all I did was blow up bigger. Yesterday, at the advice of a friend, I had 33 oz of green tea (good ole caffeine; I remember the days fondly). Well... alas, I must have peed 20 times last night. I woke up exhausted, but the scale had dropped 3.2 pounds! I wish I could blame it on my time of the month, but since I'm a guy... I supposedly don't have one. I now realize that my body has a propensity to retain water and, realistically, it's impossible for us to gain weight with the restricted number of calories we are having.

Stick with it... don't kick the dog or cat... it WILL get better.

I haven't been banded yet but I can certainly feel your pain, I am a huge fan of "The Biggest Loser" (Isn't everyone?) :eek: Anyway.. I think one of the things that show has kind of set in my head is that if you're not dropping more than 5 lbs a week it's a disappointment.. but truthfully.. the healthy way is 1-2 lbs a week.. If only it came off quick.. but then who'd recognize you? j/k... Keep your chin up Mama.. Good times are yet to come!

There is a reason your Dr. will not give you a fill yet, you need time to heal!

As has been pointed out, this is VERY common, and is referred to around here as Bandster Hell. I compare it like this...

Having a new band in place, with no fill is like having a new car, with no gas....You have the thing you wanted, but without the "gas" it is not getting you very far!

Give yourself time, many people gain weight prior to finding a bit of restriction.

My sister in law and I were banded the same day....had basically the same amount of weight to lose. I started steady, lost at a steady pace, found restriction quickly. She lost about 15 pounds and stuck, then gained, and bounced around, had several fills, got too tight, had an unfill....and then it kicked in-----and her weight began dropping quickly then! She dropped past me so quick it made my head spin! She has been at goal for 3-4 months now, and I am still working slowly towards goal. It works differently for each of us---but give yours a chance!!!

All of us had those feelings that this would not work for us--nothing else in our pasts had, why should this? That is very normal I think!

Kat

Hi Krista, I was banded on the 16th Jan.08. I didn't have to do a pre op diet which I was glad about. I was on fluids for 2 weeks and have just started on purees. I have tried not to weigh myself as it can be discouraging when you see nothing happening. It gets the better of me though. I am walking and swimming and have only lost between 5 -6kgs. I have noticed by measuring though that I am loosing centimetres and my bras fit better. Have you tried taking your measurements you might be surprised. Keep your spirits up I'm sure good things will happen even for us slower loosers.

Saleel22

(Australia)

eenerms--Your doctor won't give you a fill because you haven't lost enough, or because it is too early? If it is just because you haven't lost enougg that doesn't make sense to me--isn't a fill supposed to help you lose weight not be the reward after weight loss? Just wondering!

Trish

First of all, throw out your scales! Weight is one of the worst possible ways to check your progress because of the way your body composition changes. If you are working out, you are building muscle and muscle is significantly heavier than fat (which is why fat ladies like me float so well! LOL!) Anyway, use your tape measure and record the difference in body SIZE. Keep doing your muscle building exercises because muscle will speed up your basal metabolic rate, meaning you'll be burning more kilojoules / calories than ever before.

Next, you really need to get this all in perpective. Take off the "week at a time" goggles and look at the big picture. If you must weigh yourself, do it monthly, that will give you a much more accurate picture that takes into account your regular, and very normal, body cycles.

Lastly, remember that the exercise and good eating that you are doing will be beneficial to your heart, lungs and other vital organs. You are slowly the ageing process, increasing your strength and stamina and toning those muscles.

Keep going... I know you can do it!

well its been ages since i was in here, simply because i feel like a total failure, the band is not doing what i thought it was going to do - no one told me it was going to be such hard work - i havent been back to my surgeon in months as i dont think there is anything he can offer me anymore except more fills and i dont see the point of that - the band is as tight as it can go without me stopping eating completely, - blah i hate, i know i have to tkae a much more active role in it all - i suppose i thought it was going to be that miracle thing and then i would be thin!!!

eenerms--Your doctor won't give you a fill because you haven't lost enough, or because it is too early? If it is just because you haven't lost enougg that doesn't make sense to me--isn't a fill supposed to help you lose weight not be the reward after weight loss? Just wondering!

Trish

My doctor wants me on liquids only for 6 weeks. He hasn't 'said' lose more before I fill you, he just said he wants me to lose more and won't fill until after the 6 weeks anyway because I have to heal etc. Sorry for the confusion.

:eek:

Okay take a deep breath! The first 6 weeks are for healing. My doctor does not even care if you lose weight during this time. The band is a tool, and you do not feel restriction sometimes until 2 or 3 fills. So it will kick in but you have to give it time. Also sometimes people say if they increase the calories to 1,000-1200 calories they will start to lose. I know myself I was frustrated as the scales said the same thing for 4 weeks straight. I was exercising, and just was not losing. But yesterday I finally lost another pound and a half.

I was banded Christmas eve. I lost 30 pounds total by the time I was 2 1/2 weeks out and then nothing for the rest of the time. I understand frustration but you have to have a "mind" check! You can't be thinking doom or its that much harder to keep your spirit up. I see so many post here of people that have achieved wonderful results and many go thru periods like this.

Keep going! You will get there

If you had any kind of preop diet, the weight you lost on that is going to be SUPER easy to regain. You can't go from living on broth to eating mashed potatoes without paying some kind of price.

Keep your head up, you can do this!

Hi Krista,

I was banded on 12/26. I actually gained weight on the pre-op liquid diet due to the amount of sodium I was taking in. I lost about 14 pounds in the beginning and then just stalled. When I saw my surgeon he told me not to focus on my weight. The weeks after surgey and before your first fill are not considered weightloss weeks. Your body has to heal. Also keep in mind that if you were on a liquid diet pre-op and your now eating more your weight might go up. I had my first fill last Monday and fortunately I have some restriction so I have been able to lose another 5 pds. Don't get discouraged because we all go through it at some point. I would talk to your nutritionist and tell her what you have shared here. You're doing everything you should be and she needs to support you and encourage you. Hang in there!

Jenn

I know this sucks, I really do. My weight was similar to yours when I started and I was banded one year ago on 2/23. I started out REALLY slowly. I lost 8 pounds on the preop diet, and still had only lost 13 at my 1st fill. That helped a little, and I lost 5 more pounds at the 3 month mark. I felt really discouraged, but I hung in there and when I got my 2nd fill it all clicked. I've been reading these boards for over a year, and there really do seem to be all different kinds of weight loss. For some it starts very quickly. I would see all the people from my 2/07 group losing massive amounts of weight and it would be so discouraging. I started really losing after that second fill and realized for ME, I had to have tight restricton........that is the only way the band works for me, and over the year I have averaged about 7 pounds a month. It doesn't sound like a lot, but actually, I started at 292 and I'm now 208!!!! I've lost 84 pounds, and interestingly enough, it's very close to the same amount as others from the 2/07 group that lost quickly at the beginning. The best part for me is I haven't really followed all the rules, or exercised a great deal. I have just eaten in much smaller quantities b/c of my tight restriction. You will know it when you get there, and you will figure out how this thing will work for you. It's a very interesting tool, b/c it works so differently for everyone.

Just try to be patient, I know how hard it is. I seriously went 3 months only losing 18 pounds, and will probably end up losing 90 this year. You have just started, but the pounds will really add up over time. Good luck, and wait for your fill, it will probably make all the difference when you get to the right restriction!!

well its been ages since i was in here, simply because i feel like a total failure, the band is not doing what i thought it was going to do - no one told me it was going to be such hard work - i havent been back to my surgeon in months as i dont think there is anything he can offer me anymore except more fills and i dont see the point of that - the band is as tight as it can go without me stopping eating completely, - blah i hate, i know i have to tkae a much more active role in it all - i suppose i thought it was going to be that miracle thing and then i would be thin!!!

Yep, you're right, with that attitude you will fail. I'm sorry no one told you that you were going to have to pull your load in order to lose weight with the band. Shoot, even with bypass you can gain weight if you don't eat what you are supposed to.

What are you eating? Are you eating Protein first, veggies second and carbs last? Are you staying away from bread, Pasta, rice, and potatoes? Are you exercising? Unless you do your part, you will continue to fail.

It's really up to you.