Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post band exercise options

Hello all... was just wanting to know what steps you took toward exercising. How did you start off? What was your first "activity" in exercise. I am assuming that we aren't just supposed to run out and get a gym membership so does anyone have any suggestions. And please don't tell me Curves gym. Ug I don't like them, they have been fired.

I am particualarly interested in how you rejoined the world of exercise. Also, some options for "free" exercise (i.e. ones that don't cost money to do). Be creative!!!!

Thanks.

Little, bitty baby steps. First, I walked 1/3 around the block and a 90 year old on a walker could have blown past me. But I kept walking...gradually a little more. I got up to 3 miles a day. But it's extremely hot and humid here in the summer. So I started bicycling..3 times around my block is a mile. Pretty soon I got bored, felt like a hamster in a wheel. So I ventured off the block. I've worked my way up to an average of 10 miles a day. On weekends, I can hit 20 miles. We've been on some wonderful rides, seen some amazing things. I've taken part in 3 bike benefits...two were 20 miles, one 25 miles. My favorite one was a country ride along a winding river and rolling hills. Last October, we went to Colorado and hiked 4 and 5 hours every day in the mountains. Would I have even thought about doing these things preband? No way! I'm very fortunate that my DH is my biking and hiking partner. He encourages me to never give up.

It all starts with a single step.

The first exercise I did was walking also, two weeks after my surgery I started to go swimming as well and just took it easy at first nothing too strenuous. Good luck hope you find some exercise which you will enjoy.

Helenxx.

WOW New Hope that blows my mind! How amazing are you!!!

I was told to use to pedometer and take 1000 steps a day.

I havnt bought one yet and have no idea how many steps i take normally in a day, I would assume no where near 1000.

I have lumbar disc disease with sciatica. I get SSI for it.

I need fusions for three herniated discs in my back, I cant have them until I loose 100 pounds because my neurosurgon says its too risky because of the scar tissue of my last TWO back surgeries (that failed)

so, I dont move much. I use a motorized cart to shop and enjoy the zoo...ect.

I just got my YMCA membership TODAY!! ME and my cousin got a scholorship and I only have to pay 13$ a month for me and 5 kids. ISNT that amazing.

I really appreciate it.

All I can really do right now is use the pool. The Water excersize classes are free! Maybe I will be able to ride a stationary bike, as long as I take enough pain pills to handle it.. I dont know yet, but I will try!

I am taking all the kids to the ymca tomarrow (me and my cousin) to get member cards and check the place out and do what ever.

Um... I hope they dont have a problem with me in my tank top and black knit capri's. (most places dont, I go swimming alot)

I havnt had a swim suit in forever!

Nykee - The pool is the perfect place for you to start, no pressure on any of the joints. Try signing up for some arobics, easy on the joints. You might not be able to do much at first, but each day you will get stronger and better. Good Luck!

Why not go out and start a gym? It is the place you can work with professionals to get back the body you want. Go for a month with a trainer and they can give you more idea than you can ever know. Walking is always free. I also hit the jackpot at a garage sale and found about 10 aerobic tapes for $1 each. Dancing is my favorite workout, so turn up the music and practice your dance steps in fromnt of a mirror. Start small if your new to this, but a gym is the best place to start with a triner so you can learn all of the correct ways to stretch and move when you exercise. We have a local PBS station that has a show called Body Electric and it is on daily for free and low impact and toning. If you are scared of a gym, try a local rec center, they usually have dance classes and kickboxing classes for a fraction of the price of a gym. No matter what it is you do, Just do it every single day and your progress will pass anything you have expected!

After my 2-week checkup the doc said to start exercising for 30 minutes every day. DO anything, even just walking, weights while you watch tv, anything MORE than what you were doing before. I love Water aerobics and have been taking it for the past 3 years. I love the Water and the exercises are so low-impact that it's great therapy for anyone with back problems, arthritis, etc. I couldn't go until the scars healed and there were no scabs. So, I did something i had NEVER done in my life. I signed up for 10 sessions of Weigh/Strength Training with a personal trainer, who I also knew as my ex-WW Leader. It's really expensive but she was running a half-off sale and I NEVER pass up a good sale!!! :) So i signed up and she was very thorough. I had to complete a medical history, she took measurements, and tested me the first session to see what I could handle. Each time we alternated upper and lower body workouts, etc etc. Anyway, it was the best thing I did to get me started. I also walked the treadmill and got a few walking tapes so I wouldn't get bored. When I was able to get back to water aerobics around the holidays, it was great!!! And now that I have lost almost 70 pounds I want MORE!!! More of a challenge!!! LOL I've asked for a bike for spring and one I can get a stand for to use in the winter.

Several people along with myself have the Walk Away The Pounds DVD which is a great in-home workout. Some people like Curves. I was there for an intro but it was too hard on my knees at the time....maybe now it might be better...but I liked the other machines at the gym tour i went on. Just heard about a place called Fitness 19, and you can check out their website.

As the weather gets warmer, I plan to do more painting, cleaning, outside work, etc etc...now that I actually CAN!!!...and as my good friend says "I'LL SUCCEED" :)

I have two little children who keep me moving pretty well when we're home. After surgery, I didn't start any regular exercise program until about 6 months out, when I joined the Y. That has been my saving grace! I love the Y, from the fitness classes to the pool to the free weights to the personal trainer to the cardio machines and on and on. I plan to be a member for life (though I pay a hell of a lot more than $13/mo). :)

I have gotten A LOT of private message (about 15 emails and pm's!!!) suggestions as well (guess they don't want to post here?) and thought I would share them with you all. I think some of them are quite creative and "free". Since self paying for this surgery I definitely need some creative and FREE things to do. Some of them were REALLY creative and I thank everyone that messaged me their suggestions!!! These are other peoples suggestions, but since they PM'd me I guess they don't want their identity revealed? So all of these suggestions I guess are anonymous, but they sound GREAT!!! And now to share their creativity with all of you.......

1. Walk the dogs. (and if you don't have one, ask your neighbor if you can walk theirs!)

2. Park your car in the farthest available spot. Not only do you get the exercise walking into the store/mall/whatever but your car won't ever get dinged. (this one is my favorite!)

3. If you have stairs in your house, climb them! Up down up down! (the person that messaged me said that when she does laundry, she puts a load of clothes at the top of the stairs, then has allowed herself to take ONE piece down at a time, therefore having to do the "stairmaster" while getting house chores done, she says it is fun and makes a game of it and the break from the bottom of the stairs to the washer allows her to "break" and get her breath back)

4. Mow the lawn(great for legs/arms), pick weeds (good for legs but don't use your back!), gardening (great for upper arms)

5. Wax the car (great for arms/back/shoulders) Wax on.... wax off...

6. Mall walking (it is free, comfy and lots to see... and I guess there are actual mall walker clubs you can join!)

7. Hiking in woodland trails, nature trails or mountains (each city or area should have maps, check with the visitor center)

8. Bicyling

9. Pilates at Home

10. Using a chair for lifts/dips/pushups

11. Play mind games... for example, you tell yourself that the mailbox at your driveway but you are not "allowed" to get to it except by approaching from one side or the other therefore you must walk around the block to get to it. (yeah, this one seems a bit strange to me too but hey, if it works, I appreciated the suggestion!)

12. Jumprope

13. Fly fishing (I was like whaaaaaaaa? when I first saw this but then they explained all of the upper body strength it needed and I was like, oh.)

14. Sweep the sidewalk/driveway. (It gets you moving and uses upper body for the sweeping motion as well as cleans off your driveway! Once you are done, you are wanting to do more!)

15. Go to Vegas baby! Walk the strip and people watch!!! (woo hoo, I like this idea)

16. Never take the elevator, use the stairs! No matter how high, tell yourself you are not to take the elevator. (this person also said he uses this with money: tells himself he is never allowed to buy or pay with change, therefore spends $2.00 when something is $1.10 and gets .90 in change, then pockets it in a change jar and has booookooooo bucks at the end of the year and buys himself something he wouldn't normally have spent the money on!)

17. Visit the botanical gardens/nature centers/zoos etc....

18. Vacation while you exercise!! Pick places like the Grand Canyon and hike down. (this one didn't exactly sound free to me though lol )

19. Stand or walk in place while watching TV.

20. Volunteer. It may not be all out exercise but you get out and get moving just by volunteering and you do something for others. Habitat for Humanity is one volunteer organization that will really exercise you while doing something great for other people in need! (i love this idea too!)

OKAY... well that's all I have for now. All were GREAT suggestions. And thanks to all of the "lurkers" that sent me a message or emailed me their suggestions. Your secret is safe with me!!!

Have a great day everyone! Jen ( 25 more days till lap band land begins!!! )

"Chubby girls don't skinny dip, we CHUNKY DUNK!!"

I was walking around the park after 3 days post. I had been running around it. I spent atleast 6 weeks just walking. After that it was on. I do several miles at a jog now and lift weights. There are some positions that irritate but not many at all. I'm careful with ab work. Its all out otherwise.

I stress exercise is important here so dont leave it oput of yopur program!!!

I started doing gentle stretches with bands, pilates stuff. I then did a Lesley Sansome walking in place 1 mile. This was about 2 -3 weeks post op.

I eventually went to the gym to do 20-30 minutes on treadmill or eliptical trainer and 20-30 minutes weights.

I am recovering from eye and ear surgery and must start over again it seems.

LOL I've asked for a bike for spring and one I can get a stand for to use in the winter.

As the weather gets warmer, I plan to do more painting, cleaning, outside work, etc etc...now that I actually CAN!!!...and as my good friend says "I'LL SUCCEED" :)

Hey Nancy- As soon as you get that bike- Its you & me biking together--ok?? I bet your daughter may join us as well;0) We could even share a spring yard clean up-I have done this before. We do 1 to 2 hours at your house than 1 to 2 at mine. Twice the work in 1/2 the time & AWESOME exercise.