Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are YOU Fat?

I read many but not all of the posts on this thread.... but haven't seen one that said: I was fat because I quit smoking, and replaced the soothing effect of cigarettes with the soothing effects of food. I wasn't heavy until my 30's (unless you count the freshman 15 that I was able to lose just be stopping the beer drinking for a few weeks, or the 10lbs I wanted to lose so I could wear a size 4 instead of a size 6 wedding dress). Somewhere around 15% of women who quit smoking gain 50lbs or more; that was me.

I'm fat for three reasons:

I have the genetic factor that runs in my family which gives me an obesity predisposition.

I did not think I had an eating problem.

I am a compulsive overeater with a food addiction. I accepted it, got the band to help me to not overeat, and I follow the 12 steps of OA.

Keepin' it real.

Patty in Florida.

I am a stress, boredom and depression eater. If anything acts as a trigger, I will binge the whole day and later that night cry for failing to have more willpower or control over my own self.

I too think about food all the time, it consumes me. Even now, after banding, I constantly think about what and when I'm going to eat. I know "normal" people don't do this, and wonder why I can't just be like them?

I have seen a counselor off and on for several years. Each one tells me I have to understand the "why" behind my addiction. Why do I turn to food instead of something healthy like; working out, yoga, discussing with friends or doing deep breathing exercises....quite frankly I don't know.

My greatest fear is failing to gain control and failing to conquer my weight issues and body issues.

Anyway, thank you for starting this thread and for all those who have posted their "stories".

livin, I can SO identify with everything you said. I have never been able to understand it and no one has ever been able to help me understand it.

I have come to the conclusion that for some people, our behavior is similar to a person who has anorexia. Except instead of us not eating until we kill ourselves, we eat until we kill ourselves.

We don't want to eat anymore than an anorexic wants to not eat. But at some point, there has been some trigger that has happened in our bodies that causes us to be so driven. I don't know if anyone has ever done studies to link up the two behaviors, or illnesses maybe? But when behavior of either eating or not eating can be so extreme that it can eventually make you sick and kill you, it is not something that is as simple as dieting for the overeater or forcing yourself to eat if you are anorexic. Neither of those things alone solve the problem.

I honestly think over time, eventually someone will discover the root cause of both conditions and then, they will be able to find a way to cure them.

I still cannot dump food in the garbage.i say i ll eat it later-knowing i wont.i leave my plate on the table and at bedtime it gets to go in the trash.stems from growing up poor and hungry.i just realized recently that i like to feel my stomach growl.......not like when i was a child.

I still cannot dump food in the garbage.i say i ll eat it later-knowing i wont.i leave my plate on the table and at bedtime it gets to go in the trash.stems from growing up poor and hungry.i just realized recently that i like to feel my stomach growl.......not like when i was a child.

you are just like me!

Because I use food for more than nutrition.

I have daily pain and food boosts something that gets rid of pain. So...

When I hurt, I eat.:ohmy:

When I get depressed, I eat.:sad:

When I Celebrate, I eat.:)

When I have anxiety, I eat.:w00t:

When I can't sleep, I eat.:eek:

When I'm angry, I eat. :eek:

when I'm anxious, I eat. :mellow:

When I'm bored, I eat. :cool2:

When I watch TV or go to the movies, I eat. :tt2:

Get the picture?

Because I use food for more than nutrition.

I have daily pain and food boosts something that gets rid of pain. So...

When I hurt, I eat.:thumbup:

When I get depressed, I eat.:smile2:

When I Celebrate, I eat.:mad2:

When I have anxiety, I eat.:smile2:

When I can't sleep, I eat.:smile2:

When I'm angry, I eat. :D

when I'm anxious, I eat. :(

When I'm bored, I eat. :)

When I watch TV or go to the movies, I eat. :)

Get the picture?

:thumbup: TOTALLY !

Used to be not overweight in school, never was "skinny", but used to be "healthy" and a competitive swimmer. But since I started working fulltime, eat out more often, alcohol nights and got heartbroken.. :smile2:

I lost balance in exercising & eating.

When I feel hurt, the more I don't like to look at myself...

I eat to find comfort. :thumbup:

Until I realize it, I've lost myself.

In a span of 5 years, gained from 130ish to 220lbs...

I have thought about this a lot lately and I have come to realize I binge eat when I feel like I have been deprived of something. I also use food as a reward.

Carrie what you posted is exactly what I'm dealing with. Exactly. If you figure out a way to stop that behavior cycle, I would be eternally grateful if you would share it with me.

I saw Oprah the other day for the first time in a long time and I felt really sad. She has every resource imaginable to her and she is still fighting it. This weight problem is not a simple thing, that's for sure.

That's so true. Since I have realized why I binge, it has helped me to stop some. I just try to find something else to do when the urge to binge hits. Or if I can't resist it, I will try to find something sugar free to eat. I have also stopped buying things that I know I am going to binge on, like candy and chocolate. That helps some, because if it's not in the house, it is very unlikely that I am going to go out and buy something just to binge on. I will find something else healthy that I already have in the house to eat.

I agree that not having it in the house is a huge factor. When the urge to binge hits, it causes a spontaneous reaction. If we have some time to think about it, we're much more likely to choose something sugar-free, like you said. If you have this stuff figured out, hurrah for you!!

I've always been overweight, but I got fat when I fell in love! I was 5'5 and 190, my boy friend (now husband) was 6'4 280 and I thought for some reason I could eat everything he ate, and the same amounts. Needless to say that is why I am FAT!!!