Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get fiber in your diet?

Karen, I just noticed we were banded 4 days apart. Since my partial unfill, I think I have about 1.2 in my band now. Haily's MO?

could someone pass me the dynamite, please?

LOL LOL

Paula, give the frosted shredded wheat a try. Are you drinking plenty of Water during the day?

Senokot is a stool softener and works like a charm. I take two a day till the first movement then take one a day to keep it soft. IT works. And It is safe and natural.

Marie, I think Im drinking enough Water 80 - 100oz's a day.

And yes, Ive been eating the shredded wheat, but have you looked at the carb content in those things??? That number alone sould make me go.

I even thought about drinking a bottle of mineral oil, thats what the 'old timers' used to use.

I just remembered something from the South Beach Diet...Uncle Sam Cereal. They carry it at most supermarks, health-food stores & Trader Joes. It has no sugar, 10 gr. fiber/serving, 7 gr. Protein & it works like a charm! I ate some last nite after posting on this thread, and this morning, success! It contains flaxseed & 200 mg. omega-3 fatty acids per serving. Yes, I'm reading off the box.

Hope this helps someone besides me!

I eat it where I can, then if that does not work, I take a swig of french vanilla milk of magnesia every other day at night until things are going at a normal pace, if you know what I mean? This stuff is safe for you. Hope this helps you, I know it's not fun!!!!

Hey Pat, you're right...4 days apart. It's not Hailys MO, it's Phillips MO. It says "lubricant laxative, STIMULANT FREE, gentle on Hemorrhoids" It's safe for us to use.

I'll also try the Senecot. I remember using it on my kids when they were potty training (seems like a million years ago, even though they're 15 & 17). Even then they wanted to be in control by holding it in!

Isn't this a lovely topic?

Some times I'll eat oatmeal cooked w/ a couple prunes. Makes it real sweet w/o using sugar.

A apple at night,does the trick every time.

try aloe vera gel caps, sooo good for a good cleaning "out"

Alfalfa pills....so good for Water retention and again "good cleaning out" you fill 5-10lbs lighter after these. But these are big, you would have to cut in half. My midwife gave me these when my feet had some puffiness.

How about sprinkling a little ground flax seed on your food. or in your shakes. on salads, in your cooked oatmeal....

Good Luck with your smoooth sailing.

There is a cerial out there called Sashi that is very high in Fiber. Its not too bad. I always try to find ways to get more fiber in too. It is a very healthy benifit to your colon to have more fiber, its not only about staying regular. I have heard several studies about fiber intake and colon cancer relationships. Teresa

Okay, I'm resurrecting this thread......This has been on my mind the past few days. I'm still on mushies so I'm SO not getting fiber in and things have...well.....stopped. I've NEVER had this problem before...I'm regular at the moon and stars. Oh the pain....

So I tried a half scoop of Metamucil with double Water to keep it from gelling up in the small stomach before it went through the band. No progress yet.

Prunes suck. Ew.

I may go out and find some of that Benefiber that is mentioned on this thread.

Anyone else want to share their ideas? My dr just says "are you drinking enough water" and I say yes and he harumphs. What. Ever.

Karen, I know just what you're going through. I never had this problem until I got banded. I have a green salad almost every day, but still. . . those refried Beans I mentioned in an earlier post help, but -- yikes! the musical side effects! I farted during a choral rehearsal last week, and unfortunately I wasn't even keeping the beat.

I've been eating Grape-Nuts lately, and that seems to help, but it's not a perfect solution. People suggested apple juice in an older thread on this same topic, so I'll try that too. Good luck. We can all share suggestions on this icky topic.