Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get fiber in your diet?

Hey Zoe..thanks for the thoughts. Yeah, I was out walking the other day (after a refried bean dinner) and found I was doing that old person step, fart, step, fart...and farting without my consent! Not good.

The main issue I'm having with all the suggestions so far is I'm really trying to keep to pretty low carbs. I mean not crazy low, but juice, fruit, shredded wheat, prunes, all of that are no-no's.

Maybe I scoot out now to the drugstore for some Benefiber.....

I have been eating this stuff called Perfect Balance by Malt-O-Meal

It has:

7 grams of protien

4 grams of Fiber

100% of the recommended Folic Acid

70% of the daily recommended Iron

115 grams of potassium (I was needing this because I was getting so sluggish)

200 calories in 2/3 cup prepared

0 saturated fat

0 trans fats

I eat mine with that sqeezable fake butter and sugar-free Syrup - sooo good and filling

I have also had it with honey and jelly. They suggest chocolate syrup, Peanut Butter or anything else that you can think of - so you just mix it according to cravings. I use it when I have a sweet tooth.

Also - I like the refried Beans with a dollup of f-f sour cream and taco sauce. - liquid beano totally taked care of most side effects :D

Another thing that has been VERY effect in getting things moving - are the coffee flavored EAS shakes - 110 calories, 15 grams of protien and just enough caffiene to send you to the bathroom after about 15 minutes each morning :)

So I got some of that Benefiber and it's good stuff. No flavor so it can be used lots of ways. I got the tablets too but they have sugar in them so I probably won't use them much.

I finally have gotten some "movement" in my situation. It was like once it started up I couldn't stop. I went and went and went. Ew, I know, but I'm just saying.....

Will keep the Benefiber around, it seems to be the right stuff!!

black Beans

hummus

flaxseed

whole wheat everything

sprouted grain muffins

and my old standby - I take psyllium tablets daily. In a 14 month time frame, my mom and dad both had colon polyps removed and my brother had diverticulitis. I decided I was going to keep a clean colon. I detoxed and then started psyllium. I don't take as many as I used to since my food input is less.

I believe in the 3 bm per day, floating, etc. that is supposed to signify health bms. Oh, what a gross topic to write about in the morning.

Vitamin C supplementation also helps keep you regular. Start w/500 mg per day and then if that doesn't help up it by 100mg per day. At some point, you may reach a dosage that causes diarrhea, in which case you need to scale it back again.

I know that 100mg Vitamin C daily and 1-2 tablespoons flaxseed daily has kept my 7 year old daughter regular, and she was having soooo much trouble before we started that regimen!! I only just started the Vitamin C supplementation on myself, so the jury's still out ... I think it's helping, along w/prune juice and flaxseed! :)

Flaxseed oil is SO good for you too. My son takes it and it keeps his eczema under control beautifully. Full of Omega 3's for heart health and skin and hair health.

30g is usually the recommended daily fibre intake for adults but there's no way you'd gett through that with a band. I have no idea how you'd do it, this is the main issue that has scared me away for now. I have no problem with the concept of changing my diet to cut kilojoules but at a relative modest 38kg or so overweight I'm going to try to do that but cutting out the bad stuff and not my intake of fruit and veg and wholegrains - of course its a way different trade off if you're facing much more weight loss than that.

You do better to take a fibre supplement than to actually use a stool softener or laxative. To use those regularly makes your bowel less efficient and only compounds the problem. Water Water and Water too.

Surely though 30g of fibre is recommended to move the amount of food an adult generally eats and that if you've been banded, obviously the volume of food moving through your system is less so the volume of what comes out the other end is less and therefore your fibre needs would be slightly less?

I just learned that benefiber is just guar gum. Never worked for me. What DOES work for me is Fiber Choice. It contains insulin, "an all natural dieiery fiber source found in fruits & vegetables. Insulin not only tastes better and has a better consistency (true) it is the only fiber source that helps boost Calcium absorption" That's from the label, obviously. Read label for the rest. Interestingly, since I've been using Stevia Plus, which contains insulin fiber as well, I've been going better. Hm, maybe there is something to this insulin fiber stuff.

Next month in September is Pear season, lots of different variety of pears out there and they are one of the best ways to get in your fiber, they are loaded with it...a pear a day keeps Constipation away :)

My doctor recommended Cascara Sagrada 450mg. I get mine at Wal-Mart, it is from Spring Valley. I take one a day in the evening. I also take a vit. c supplement.

shagamelic