Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cheat on pre-op liquid diet

Did you cheat on liquid diet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you cheat on liquid diet

• No, I didn't cheat at all
    • Yes, I cheated but ate healthy foods
    • Yes, I cheated and ate everything in sight
    • Yes, I cheated so bad they cancelled my surgery

I am on day 4 on my pre-op diet and I survived my first restaurant visit while on the pre-op and I am proud of myself. I ordered a turkey burger no bread and instead of fries I order steamed broccoli and surprisingly I was satisfied which would have never been the case pre diet. The only cheating I have done is I will occasionally eat a baby dill pickle for the crunch but I am going to cut that out. I was tempted to snatch one fry since everyone at the table had them (restaurant gives u endless fries) but I don't want to open that door.

BTRIEGER,

You could be a bit nicer. Many people screw up but they learn. You have been here and done this....don't be so freakin judgmental. This is a very hard process and it's all about learning from your mistakes. You don't have to offend everyone else because they make a mistake. It's rude and immature. From your other posts, I thought you were more supportive than that.

Nice is no fun. You can never tell is someone really is being nice or just acting it. When you speak frankly, it leaves no doubt.

Not only have I been there, I am still and always will be there. I am not preaching from a pedestal, I break rules and make mistakes as well. I just don't think it should be taken as lightly as it is. How can we take this long journey if we don't give it all we have from the start?

And I am very supportive. Sometimes a bit opinionated but very supportive of anyone that is giving it all they have.

"The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off!"

I actually didn't cheat on the pre-op and have followed the four weeks post op to a tee. "Cheating" got me to where I was for many years................ This is just so much bigger than a "taste of this" or "it's only one day". I lived though years of that and the fact of the matter is I'm glad that a lot of that emotional anguish of "do I diet today or not" is a thing of the past. Stay within the guidelines - didn't you make a "contract" with yourself about the rest of your life when you started this process. Honor the contract and yourself. I'm so grateful for this "band" - it has defined guidelines to follow. That I can do!

But remember - everything in life worth having is really worth working for.

Good luck to all...........

Pre-op Apr 19 - 276

Surgery May 5 - 258

4-Weeks Post-Op - 244

Im on day 7 of my pre-op diet and so far so good. I've wanted to cheat but don't want to take the risk so I've been living off of yogurt, pudding cups, cottage cheese, diet tea, and of course Protein Shakes. My big day is June 8. Wish everyone much success!!!!!!

Sure sounds like words of wisdom to me, thanks.

I actually didn't cheat on the pre-op and have followed the four weeks post op to a tee. "Cheating" got me to where I was for many years................ This is just so much bigger than a "taste of this" or "it's only one day". I lived though years of that and the fact of the matter is I'm glad that a lot of that emotional anguish of "do I diet today or not" is a thing of the past. Stay within the guidelines - didn't you make a "contract" with yourself about the rest of your life when you started this process. Honor the contract and yourself. I'm so grateful for this "band" - it has defined guidelines to follow. That I can do!

But remember - everything in life worth having is really worth working for.

Good luck to all...........

Pre-op Apr 19 - 276

Surgery May 5 - 258

4-Weeks Post-Op - 244

Sure sounds like words of wisdom to me, thanks.

I did cheat. Not proud of it, but I did have some ice cream and a baked potato. I mashed the heck out of the potato so it was more of a liquid form. The ice cream wasn't sugar free though, but otherwise I have done well. I have lost 5 lbs in a week so far, my cravings and hunger have decreased. I have been on my pre op for 5 days, and I am going to vow to myself no going off track. I need to be as healthy as possible before the surgery and I want to get into good habits now for the post op diet. Good luck everyone! My band is June 24th

Don't get me wrong; I AM judging you.

Well, I'm glad we are clear about that. :smile2:

Your question: "If you can't go without cheating for a relatively short time, how the hell do you expect to follow the rules for the rest of your life?"

Answer: One day at a time. If you "cheat" (stupid word, that), fall off the wagon, or choose to eat incorrectly one minute, there's nothing stopping you from making better decisions the next.

Your question: "If you can't go without cheating for a relatively short time, how the hell do you expect to follow the rules for the rest of your life?"

Answer: One day at a time. If you "cheat" (stupid word, that), fall off the wagon, or choose to eat incorrectly one minute, there's nothing stopping you from making better decisions the next.

I like "cheat". It makes the point stand out.

If the doctor puts you on a 10 days pre-op diet and you cheat 2 of those days; you have just cheated 20% of the time.

Let's say for the sake of argument that you have 60 years left to live. 20% of that is 12 years. So, is it ok to cheat for 12 years??

We are all going to make bad decisions throughout our lives whether it be food choices; love; whatever... The pre-op diet is relatively short. There is plenty of time for making mistakes when it is over.

Interesting. It's cheating during the pre-op and merely a mistake afterwards.

Nothing like putting the screws on. Perfect pre-op adherence is certainly a goal to strive for, but imperfection during pre-op is not an indication of ultimate failure. This whole adventure is difficult enough without criticizing slips from grace and sneering at those who fall short.

Add a little compassion and common sense to the pride you take in speaking frankly. A hard-assed attitude will eventually put saddle sores on your soul.

Llyra,

I completely agree!!! I would prefer someone to mess up pre-op then someone messing up after post-op.

I'm not on an all-liquid pre-op diet, but I've been worried that the diet I am on won't be enough. I'm trying very hard, I'm just not sure what's expected. I can't really check on my liver and make sure it's in good shape.

I'm currently on Day 6 of the pre op liquid diet. I have not cheated nor felt like it, but I did take a bite of chicken, chew it up and spit it out.. felt so good to chew!

Lord-Be! I cheated twice on my pre-op and here's why! You get this loop in your head of Oh my goodness, I am NEVER going to be able to eat ..(watever)....... AGAIN in my life!! So I panicked and made sure I got that one or two last "Gotta Haves" before surgery. Truth is, and I wish I would have realized it before surgery and got my liver a little smaller which is the whole point of a pre-op diet, that there is nothing you can't have ever again,that the band is not about exclusions, its about Portion Control ! Don't let it get in your head that you are at your last supper, a farewell tour to good food, etc.. It will all be there when you are off your doctors restrictions to enjoy..... Just LESS of it!! Peace/Love!