Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Hi guys,

Well, I had my lap band done Friday, May 16, and I'm now back home. Still on Clear Liquids today, but looking forward to starting full liquids and Protein Shakes tomorrow. (I really liked them.)

I am still having lots of gas pain, but nothing I can't live with.

Overall, I was disappointed with my experience in Detroit. I think part of it was that my surgery was done on a Friday and no one seems to be available on weekends! But the care I recieved certainly wasn't optimal. I only met the doctor once - just a five-minute visit in the pre-op area. I didn't see him at all after surgery, just saw a resident, who offered to answer any questions, but wasn't actually present during my surgery. I never saw a nutritionist or dietician at all. I have the doctor's office phone number but not his cell (but that was given to me by another patient). I never met or talked to the Bariatric Clinical Coordinator at the hospital. The onsite rep from beliteweight stopped in briefly the morning after surgery, but couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know. He couldn't tell me what size band I had, the model # or serial #, whether it was filled, etc. I was supposed to get an operative report to take back home before I left, but that didn't happen. Supposedly that will be mailed to me today or tomorrow. I had to go to medical records on Saturday to request a copy of my chart be sent to me.

On the plus side, the nurses on the floor were pleasant and helpful. And I met two lovely ladies who also had the same procedure by the same doctor on the same day. Their experiences were the same as mine, and we are going to stay in touch and provide support for each other. (I also referred them here!)

And best of all, I have a good local facility willing to provide follow up care (not just fills).

Howdy,

Went to the monthly support group meeting (2nd Tuesday of the month) and found out that CMMC in Jackson, MS had to REsumet again to recieve the "Seal of Excelents" for a couple minor things. So, should not be much longer before the approval. Lets hope not.

I'm finding out that some people have been waiting upwards of a year, if not more to get thier Date for surgery, so I don't feel so bad but it's still hard waiting. Sence I first found out about the LapBand and up unto now, it's been about 7-8 months sense I first started the jurney, not just the 1st. finding out about it..

I have been thinking of going up to Oxford, MS. to check into seeing how long it would be for me to have it done. It's a 3 & 1/2 Hrs trip one way and my wife can not drive on Freeways. Also, it seems that CMMC will not take much longer, might just leave things as is.

Until next time,

Don

Hi guys,

Well, I had my lap band done Friday, May 16, and I'm now back home. Still on clear liquids today, but looking forward to starting full liquids and Protein Shakes tomorrow. (I really liked them.)

I am still having lots of gas pain, but nothing I can't live with.

Overall, I was disappointed with my experience in Detroit.

Glad you are doing well!

So sorry you had such a disappointing experience!

You should be enjoying those full liquids by now!

Howdy,

Went to the monthly support group meeting (2nd Tuesday of the month) and found out that CMMC in Jackson, MS had to REsumet again to recieve the "Seal of Excelents" for a couple minor things. So, should not be much longer before the approval. Lets hope not.

I'm finding out that some people have been waiting upwards of a year, if not more to get thier Date for surgery, so I don't feel so bad but it's still hard waiting. Sence I first found out about the LapBand and up unto now, it's been about 7-8 months sense I first started the jurney, not just the 1st. finding out about it..

I have been thinking of going up to Oxford, MS. to check into seeing how long it would be for me to have it done. It's a 3 & 1/2 Hrs trip one way and my wife can not drive on Freeways. Also, it seems that CMMC will not take much longer, might just leave things as is.

Until next time,

Don

You have a whole lot more patience than I do, Don!!

Hi girls and boys!

May I join the group? I have been a voyeur (reader) for about a year and banded in Dec. 2007. I totally adore my surgeon, but the support I have gained from reading the questions and comments of you all has been the component that keeps me going when I tend to stray. Even with the LB, my weight loss has not been "a piece of cake," but now I have hope that the diseases which took the lives of my family members do not have to become my fate. We help each other succeed one day at a time. Thank you!

RAH

Hi girls and boys!

May I join the group? I have been a voyeur (reader) for about a year and banded in Dec. 2007. I totally adore my surgeon, but the support I have gained from reading the questions and comments of you all has been the component that keeps me going when I tend to stray. Even with the LB, my weight loss has not been "a piece of cake," but now I have hope that the diseases which took the lives of my family members do not have to become my fate. We help each other succeed one day at a time. Thank you!

RAH

Welcome!

NO, it's not a "walk in the park", is it? It's a lot of hard work and discipline, and changing our attitudes towards food, changing our eating habits.

But, we can do it!!

All of you are my inspiration as I am waiting for my doc to pull my name out of the hat. They tell me June or July. I keep reminding myself JUNE IS JUST A FEW DAYS AWAY! All the paperwork I have been assigned to have completed is in their hands, so hopefully they will be calling me soon. The weather fronts in the midwest have been playing havoc with my severe arthritis and it's been pretty awful. I know the weight loss will not make the disease go away, but I also know pounds off these knees and feet will be a huge help. I look forward to walking the dogs and going to the gym again.

It is so good to have all of you to keep me on the right track and remind me of the positive direction I have chosen. Thank you, and good luck to all of us...

Joann

Hello to everyone been reading post for so long I can't remember when I started to read. Phil thank you for recommanding the book LAPAROSCOPIC ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BANDING. I read it in one night and found it very helpful even if I had read most of it here online. I gave it to my daughter to read she is more afraid for me then I am. We will have to get together sometime in the future I live in Burlington WA not to far from you.

Carol

Hello to everyone been reading post for so long I can't remember when I started to read. Phil thank you for recommending the book LAPROSCOPIC ADJUSTABLE GASTRIC BANDING. I read it in one night and found it very helpful even if I had read most of it here online. I gave it to my daughter to read she is more afraid for me then I am. We will have to get together sometime in the future I live in Burlington WA not to far from you.

Carol

Isn't that a great book? My DH & I both read it and he is NOT a reader. I still keep it close at hand. I want to lend it to a friend of mine who is considering having the surgery, but I'm having a hard time letting it go even for a short time!! I bought 4-5 books prior to surgery, but that is the one I pick up over and over again. The gal who wrote it is a fill nurse at the NWWLS in Everett. I crashed one of their support group meetings with one of their patients, so I got to hear her. She's a kick... shoot from the hip type! Enjoyed her candor.

Get her one as a gift. lol My daugther is moving in June and I ask for the book back didn't want it getting lost going to read it again tonight. Do you go to suppost meeting at all? Where do you go?

Carol

... Can you ever bring bread or Pasta or rice back into your diet ? I hope this thread is more congenial and responde I really feel discouraged about all this writing with no response. nonnad

You might. I can't eat white bread or sticky white rice. It gets stuck in my stoma. However, I can have English Muffins or crusty french bread. I don't do that too often, of course, but as a treat, sure. Pasta is difficult for me. I just can't chew it well enough and it gets stuck.

So, the answer is: Your mileage may vary.

Hello Everyone. I'm not new to this site, but I have been away for awhile, so I'll re-introduce myself.

I am 62 years old (so I'm happy to find this particular forum) and was banded 2 years ago. I've lost about 85 lbs and am at goal weight.

I see that many of you are RVers and snowbirds. One year ago, DH and I retired, put our belongings in storage and hit the road. Still love it.

I keep busy with counted cross stitch (I'm Stitchy :unsure:), knitting and other textile crafts.

Get her one as a gift. lol My daugther is moving in June and I ask for the book back didn't want it getting lost going to read it again tonight. Do you go to suppost meeting at all? Where do you go?

Carol

I have attended just a few support group meetings.. the one in Everett, one in Palm Springs and we had one going here in Monroe last fall, but when I came home after being gone for the winter, it wasn't meeting any more. LBT is MY support group and I am here several times a day.

Hello All, Today I found the 50's group and was excited, then I found this group and am ecstatic....just turned 65 (ouch.) I was banded in Oct and have lost 55 pounds. Cholesterol has gone down 55 points and is nearly normal and I am no longer type II diabetic. So all is well, but I do have a question. The other day I had my fourth fill. Since then I've not been able to eat much, just liquids. Otherwise it's heartburn, vomitting and slimming. I was wondering whether the band will take some time to stretch or is it necessary to go back to the doctor. I live in south Jersey and the doc is in Northern NJ (90 miles). Anyone know anything about this?