Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

How does one get the ticker on the page in this blog?

Well, there is a tutorial somewhere on this site but I can never find it. If you click on where it says "tickerfactory.com" on my signature it will take you to their site. Set up your ticker and then copy the "bbc code". Come back here and click on edit profile, then in the left hand margin you will see "Edit Signature". Click on that and paste the bbc code into the box that pops up. The sparkly names come from another site and you do about the same thing but I think it's called something besides bbc code on that site... it gives you a couple of options. I found out which one was right by trial and error. Hope that helps!

Good Evening,

Just wanted to say "hi" and "thanks". I've been lurking, mainly because by this time of evening I am exhausted from babysitting. I was banded on 2/1/08 and had my 1st fill on 3/4. I've been hungrier since the fill than I was before, and am flirting with 2 lbs, up and down, up and down. Altho I have stopped the sugar since my fill, had cheated some on FF Fig newtons, before. I think a lot of my hunger is "head hunger" just caused by stress. Won't c/o that here or now, just wanted to say thanks.

All the encouragement to others has helped a lot. carlene

Loved that video, Karen. Reminded me of music from "Menopause the Musical". If anyone gets a chance to see that play buy your ticket and GO - preferably with a friend or 3! It's a very funny play. There were not many husbands in the audience (understandable), but those who were there laughed harder than anyone. After all, they have to live with us, don't they...

18_3_110.gif I have lost 12 pounds since surgery. Had a Realize 10 cc band done. I had one fill of 3.5 cc and see no restriction; but also am not hungry, think this is due to low carbs and high Protein diet.

I find food not so exciting anymore and I am a gourmet cook. I also find I can look at food and see the carbs and fat and then say no.

This is new phase of life for me. Still appreciate good food just in very small bites. Much of my restriction is mental not by lapband, that will come.

I can measure the milestones of WLS in other ways:

ring size has dropped to 7 from 8 1/2

shoe size has dropped 1 size

pants I had not worn in 4 years fit the way they should

I had a complement on my skin how clear and smooth it was

I smile more

I sleep better

I can jog now (at least on a underwater treadmill)

I exercise 3-4 times a week up from 0

I have made many friends on LBT

I have gone from 2X to XL in all my shirts

I am measuring my steps in all my areas of progress instead of on the scale!

We all want to be successful and it will come, the Band will do what it is suppose too when we get it, our minds and bodies all in sync.

Love to you all Have a great day!

Good for you Karen! I was at a birthday party Sun and all of a sudden realized I was sitting with my legs crossed! First time in a couple uears. That was a good moment for me.

Edited by sfeiner

36_8_2.gif I had the same experience last night, I was sitting watching the finals of NCAA, when I turned to my husband and said "I can cross my legs comfortably, I was so happy!"

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS

Not much action from our group. I bet everybody is out enjoying spring! I go for another fill this aft. Please pray that I get some restriction without being too tight to swallow. My sweet spot seems to be very hard to find. I've been doing some emotional eating. A good friend lost her baby at birth. The funeral was Fri. and it was so sad. Trying now to focus on this gorgeous weather we are having. How is everybody doing ?

Hi: I guess us over '60's' more inclined to take our time with weight loss so. How much fill do you have in your band. I know we are all different, for instance, I have 5.5ccs in a 10 cc band. I can't eat over 1 (measured cup) of food or 3 oz of hard Protein and 4 oz in veggies. I feel pain or hiccup if I eat more and to be truthfull end up barfing the food out. Yet I know another lady that has 9 ccs in a 10 cc band before she found her sweet spot.

The sweet spot is a mystery to me. It seems to imply the balance of being able to eat normally and yet not overeat. What do you think you will feel when you reach your sweet spot.

As for emotional eating that is tough. How do you combat the need to eat? Doddie

Not much action from our group. I bet everybody is out enjoying spring! I go for another fill this aft. Please pray that I get some restriction without being too tight to swallow. My sweet spot seems to be very hard to find. I've been doing some emotional eating. A good friend lost her baby at birth. The funeral was Fri. and it was so sad. Trying now to focus on this gorgeous weather we are having. How is everybody doing ?

Good Morning, Sharon!

so sorry to hear about your friend's baby.

that is really sad.

I had my 4th fill yesterday... first one in six months.

It was a bit of a struggle... finding the center of the port was quite a challenge for the P.A. even under fluoro. But she finally got it and put in 1cc...for a total of 5.2 cc now in my 11ccVG band. I'm supposed to be on full liquids now for two days, then gradually back to solids. So I had Soup yesterday... Tomato Soup twice and last night some pureed lentil stew that we made for this occasion! It was pretty runny, so it went down easy, but only 1/2 cup... like I"m supposed to... and I was full. Same thing this morning. DH fixed me "heart healthy" oatmeal but I could only eat half of it. First fill that I can feel a kind of gurgling, bubbly feeling when I swallow liquids. I think I'm going to be just right at this place.

Us 60+ folks need to keep communication..

there aren't too many of us and so many in our age bracket are afraid to embark on this journey!

We need to be here to encourage one another and any who might be looking in to band surgery.

We're NOT TOO OLD to do this!

P.A. was very supportive yesterday... told me she was "very proud" of my progress... weight loss, exercise, etc. It sounds ambitious, but I hope to make it to the

100 lb mark by my anniversary date, July 20!

Hi Gals, Doddie, in answer to your question, It sounds like you are at your sweet spot and Phyliss, I hope this is going to be yours. Sounds good so far. I bet you can make the 100# mark by your anniversary. The question about emotional eating...Wish I knew the answer. It seems like I lose my appitite if I'm extremely upset (like when my son died) and them it does an about face and hunger returns with a vengence and then I just keep eating for comfort. Ideally we would be out there running or exercising our butts off (literally) to deal with stress and emotional pain. That's pretty hard to do with all our aches and pains. I have miserable nights after trying to "work out" too. Sorry, don't mean to complain, esp to you gals who no doubt have the same problems. It is gorgeous today. God loves us. That's enough.

I still have not found my sweet spot but still not hungry either. I know I am controling the food mentally not with the band. I try to listen to my stomach instead of my head so when I am aware I am full, I lay fork down and STOP. But I know I can eat way more then I am and am anxious to go back for my second fill in May. (actually tried to eat more and had no side effects) Since my DR says that I should be having the LB do the work not me. Still staying on Low Carb/High Protein food.

This seems to work for me.

We went to NV for weekend to visit family, lots of eatting out, but I really didn't eat much, just ate some off my DH plate and enjoyed the company.

Everyone was kind and didn't try to encourage me to eat more.

Did have a Gin and Tonic, first since last year Sept. But nursed it and waited for the fizz to die. It was a treat, but not one I will repeat very often.

My goal is to continue to jog on the underwater treadmill at 3 mph for 30-50 minutes 3 time a week,and do aqua aerobics for 45 minutes 3 times a week. As soon as cardio doctor clears me for more, to start to build weight training on regular equipment. BUT I do like working out in the pool best of all.

Have been taking Vitamins, calcium citrate and getting 15 minutes of sun without sun glasses to get my Vitamin D. Notice my legs are getting sort of loose so need to really work on those flabbies!

But all in all am so Happy started on this journey.