Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont see the me that is in the mirror?

I wanted to show off something other than my normal monthly pics!

Before - Mar 07 After Jan 08

2203203135_c1d8f2430b.jpg2203976374_8aa7e78cd0.jpg

I came on this morning to look at the comments I got back on my pics in the before/after thread and was just weirded out by how "normal" I look in my latest pic. I still have more to lose but am really struggling with what I actually look like now. I have been buying a majority of my clothes at Goodwill and keep coming home with shirts and stuff that are just way too big. My mind cannot accept that I am skinnier. Those of you who have been banded a while does this ever go away or do you always see yourself as the fat person in your mind?

I dont lack confidence now I just cant see myself for what I really look like.

You look amazing and Hats off to you for your huge accompishments to date!!

I was told it takes a long while for our minds to catch up with what we see! I was told that I might not notice the changes in myself because our minds have the picture of what we look like, and it takes this time to change or catch up. I do not know how long it takes, all I know is that I feel my changes and I do not see them.

Trust me you look amazing though!!

You look amazing! I was banded in April '07 and I am just now noticing (sometimes) in pics and in the mirror that I have really changed. It does take most ppl a while to notice the changes. It is normal. I am in the same boat. The only way I think I could really come to terms with my size I am now is if the old me and the new me were to walk into house and stand side by side so I could see it for myself!

Congrats on the success so far!

I know the feeling. I still have a long way to go but now when I go to put on my jeans I look at them and think that there is no way my butt is going to fit into them. And that is after having worn them many times.

WOW! you are really looking fantastic!!

I have lost a lot of weight before (110 lbs) and it took a very long time for my mind to catch up with my body. I think that by the time it did, I started gaining weight back. It was silly things like I would see a booth in a restaurant and think "I can't fit in that" but I fit fine, with extra room.

I even saw my reflection in a store window while I was walking down the street and I didn't realize that it was me!

Try buying smaller clothes instead of those you think will fit. I have been having a hard problem with this too. I just went on a business trip to Europe and packed pants that I thought were 3 sizes smaller and would still fit, but when I put them on the fell off (literally, just fell off). I ended up having to wear the pair I wore the day before.

Just keep snapping pictures of yourself and try to remind yourself that its you now.

For what it's worth, you look fantastic.

Seriously, though, I know what you're talking about. Sometimes when I look at myself in the mirror, I can't help but feel the same way. Chances are, though, it'll get better over time. :)

I came on this morning to look at the comments I got back on my pics in the before/after thread and was just weirded out by how "normal" I look in my latest pic. I still have more to lose but am really struggling with what I actually look like now. I have been buying a majority of my clothes at Goodwill and keep coming home with shirts and stuff that are just way too big. My mind cannot accept that I am skinnier. Those of you who have been banded a while does this ever go away or do you always see yourself as the fat person in your mind?

I dont lack confidence now I just cant see myself for what I really look like.

You look awesome. I will be having my surgery tomorrow with Dr. Marsden and I hope that I do as well as you are.

I know how you all feel-I feel like a stranger in my own body!! I have lost 100+ pounds in less than a year and it is starting to feel wierd. When I started this journey I set a goal of a size fourteen and I am now almost there, but weighing much more than I thought I would at this size. So I have to rethink my goal-perhaps get to a normal BMI? I didn't think this part would be so hard!

Totally normal. The first time I saw myself looking "normal" was at work. Someone had taken some pics of a party we had and when I flipped through the stack and saw myself in one of the photos I had to choke back the tears, take the pics back to my office and had myself a little moment.

I felt like I might need therapy for awhile because it plays with your mind when others keep telling you how great you look but you still see your old self in the mirror. But, once I had that moment at work and was able to comprehend that someone else took that photo spontaneously and that I wasn't posing or anything and still looked normal...then I let myself start seeing the new me.

So, I think you had your "a-ha" moment and hopefully you'll start to see the real you coming through now. Congrats by the way...you might not believe me but you really do look like a different person!!! :girl_hug:

wow! you look great :girl_hug:

i'm new to this board, been banded since Sept last year, i live in Australia- so we dont use the lbs thing? but i've lost about 25kgs now... and lik eyou guys have all said, i feel better- thats for sure, but i still think like i'm a fat person, i know the clothes are fitting in smaller sizes and i still buy things that are too big for me cos i just dont realise- its so weird

Nikki

weight.png

I have the same problem, only in reverse. I haven't had my surgery yet and my brain thinks I look OK. When I see actual photos of the way I look now (about 70 lbs. overweight), I can't stand it. I hate having photos taken these days. I'm going to have surgery and then I'll enjoy having my picture taken again. Thank you for the inspiration. You look wonderful!

Thanks for all the compliments guys :girl_hug: I am glad I am not alone in this feeling I was starting to think there was really something wrong with my head.

To those of you who haven't had surgery yet take some before pics no matter how bad you hate them, some day you will like having them to prove to yourself how far you've come.

First of all, you are so beautiful...in both pix! You have the best hair ever! But, anyway...(lol) it's totally normal. I've been banded over 3 years (used to be a size 34 and am now an 18). I went to buy some clothes and took sizes 22-24 into the dressing room and couldn't believe they were huge! They looked so small out in the shop. Even some days when I get dressed, I look at my jeans and go...there's no way I'll EVER get into these jeans...they look so small...and yep...they go on! Ah the mind is stuck in the past! You will adapt!!! Good work!