Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots Of Gas And Back Pain

I just had my Lap-Band surgery on 4/15 and while I was under, the doctor found that I had a hiatal hernia, so it was repaired. After two days, the gas pains are KILLING me. My diaphragm feels like it is going to explode and the pain radiates up to my shoulder. I try to burp, but I can only get out a little burp. I have tried drinking my shakes, but I can't drink more than 2 to 3 ounces before the pain gets too bad to take. It also causes pain in my back. My port is sticking way out and I feel bloated. I am starting to regret having this done. Do they usually put any Fluid in when they first put the band in?

Thanks for any help.

First I'm no doctor. But from my own experience and years of participating here on FB, I believe that what you're feeling is the gas they use in your body that allows them to see your organs during surgery.

You need to walk and move around - a lot. The more you move around the quicker you will get it out of your system. This usually only lasts a couple of days but you can speed it up by walking, walking, walking. I know you don't feel like doing it but that was the advice I was given and when I started walking around the house for 20-30 minutes at a time, I started noticing an improvement in the pain.

No, they don't put any restriction in when they do the surgery. There is a swelling of the area that takes place from the surgery. That takes a while to go down and they shouldn't be putting in any restriction until after several weeks.

I didn't want to eat much at all during the first week. I think that's fairly normal. Just take it easy on the shakes and don't worry too much about it. Just walk, walk, walk.

You'll feel better soon!

First I'm no doctor. But from my own experience and years of participating here on FB, I believe that what you're feeling is the gas they use in your body that allows them to see your organs during surgery.

You need to walk and move around - a lot. The more you move around the quicker you will get it out of your system. This usually only lasts a couple of days but you can speed it up by walking, walking, walking. I know you don't feel like doing it but that was the advice I was given and when I started walking around the house for 20-30 minutes at a time, I started noticing an improvement in the pain.

No, they don't put any restriction in when they do the surgery. There is a swelling of the area that takes place from the surgery. That takes a while to go down and they shouldn't be putting in any restriction until after several weeks.

I didn't want to eat much at all during the first week. I think that's fairly normal. Just take it easy on the shakes and don't worry too much about it. Just walk, walk, walk.

You'll feel better soon!

I finally had enough this morning when I threw-up after drinking 2-3 ounces of cold Water. The gas was extremely painful. I called my doctor's emergency number and he finally called me back. I hadn't been able to take any hardly any nutrition over the past few days since my surgery and I was starting to get worried that it could cause me to get sick. The doctor told me that there was "some fluid" in the band from the surgery and gave me an ER location that I could go to so that I could have the Fluid removed. I went to the ER and after having to spend $300 of my own money, they were able to pull out 3.6ML of Fluid. As soon as the fluid came out, the pain went away and I could drink some Water without it hurting me so badly. I'm still bloated, but at least I'm not in extreme pain like I was. I'm very upset with my doctor over this and feel compelled to make him reimburse me for this expense since he REALLY shouldn't have put any fluid in and cause me all of these problems. Right now I am thankful that I can take in some food and water though.

Good grief!! Thank goodness you finally got some answers. I can't believe he put restriction in during surgery. And I am too tight when I have a fill of 3.2 so I can imagine what you must have been going through!

I don't know if you'll be able to get reimbursement, but if not, I would certainly try to get him to give you some of your future follow up visits paid for. To the tune of $300 at least.

Some doctors are willing to give you more restriction and then have to back it out than to be overly cautious and make you come for fills more often. I don't really know which is preferable since I didn't have much success with my band. But it seems to me that the people who have more aggressive doctors than I had, tend to lose more weight.

Just a thought... And to try to keep it real about your future fills with your doctor. He may have learned that his patients lose better with more restriction at the outset.

Hang in there. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!!

If this gas issue isn't universal to us banders, it sure is close. Right after surgery I had it terrible. I got some great advice from a girlfriend who was about a year into her band and it helped so much!

1. Gas-X strips (cinnamon is the best) This work on the burps without adding any actual volume to your stomach. I spent many days throwing up nasty Tums foam before I discovered it. And let me tell you, those burps were better than sex.

2. Walking, not the exercise kind but just a slow to medium pace with a little bounce in your step to dislodge the bubbles. I have a track in my backyard I almost walked bare, but between the gas relief, and the zen time, it works. Many Catholic churches and gardens have labrynth walks...these are awesome for dislodging gas, calming down and remembering why we did this.

I still use both these things whenever I have a bout, which are less and less frequent (until my band slipped slightly) and now I'm back on the regimen.

I hope that helps, it was a God-send to me. Let me know if it has worked for anyone else. Love and support to me fellow bandsters!

Cristy

Wow, I have to say that I'm so relieved to see this post. I'm not even sure what to do anymore. I was banded last March, lost about 30 pounds before the surgery and another 20 after the surgery but I had the weirdest issue with gas (and still do).

For me, I always get severely bloated if I DON'T eat. It drives me crazy. The only way that my stomach can feel better is after I eat. Sometimes, if I wait to long to eat, my stomach gets so bloated and gassy, I can't even stand up straight.

I went to the doctor, and they did the GI test and discovered that my band was working properly and that I had no other issues, but still the gas hasn't gone away.

I've gained almost all of my weight back and am very disappointed in my band. I'm almost ready to just have the thing taken out and go back to square one.

If I continue to have this gas issue, I'm going to go to the doctor one more time, and then I'm going to look into alternatives. I can't take it anymore.

Hi ladies. I am glad I am not the only pooter! It is really embarrassing and can be painful. I always have gas x or something with me now and it seems if I eat yogurt and take Metamucil regularly (haahaa pun intended) the gas is not as bad. I find if I lay on my stomach and move around a bit or rub my tummy down that can help expel some of the air.