Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots Of Gas And Back Pain

Does Anyone Have Tons Of Gas ( Both Ends) Especially After Eating. Also, After Some Meals I Get Alot Of Pain/pressue In My Back..

I had surgery one year ago and I, too, have back pain in my upper back. I do have gas issues, also. The pain comes and goes and is more noticeable in the a.m. upon rising.

I am 10 months out and I am having such bad gas issues I am considering having the dang thing removed! Please does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!

Virginia

I was told that after the band, people who have it either burp alot more or poot alot more. The band changes the natural flow of the body's digestive system. I'm a pooter and for my health's sake, I'll live with it.

That's my problem. For my healths sake I can't take it. My gas is so severe that I feel like I am in labor. It brings tears to my eyes and it hits me in the late evening between 6-8. I have eliminated everything from my diet that could cause gas and in November we opened my band and the gas issues went away. I got a fill on the 10th of January and now it is back full force. If it was just a matter of passing gas, then I would just deal with it. But there is a ton of pain and discomfort that is associated with this gas. I hope some one can help me before I have to have it removed. I have tried everything under the sun.... you can do a search on my previous posts. I put this issue out quite a few months back.... nothing, no one has helped. :-(

That's my problem. For my healths sake I can't take it. My gas is so severe that I feel like I am in labor. It brings tears to my eyes and it hits me in the late evening between 6-8. I have eliminated everything from my diet that could cause gas and in November we opened my band and the gas issues went away. I got a fill on the 10th of January and now it is back full force. If it was just a matter of passing gas, then I would just deal with it. But there is a ton of pain and discomfort that is associated with this gas. I hope some one can help me before I have to have it removed. I have tried everything under the sun.... you can do a search on my previous posts. I put this issue out quite a few months back.... nothing, no one has helped. :-(

I'm so sorry, V. This sounds terrible. I wish I could offer some breakthrough advice, but I don't have it. I just wanted to say I'm here for you ALWAYS. I hope Dr. O is able to help you feel better.

I'm so sorry that you are having so much pain with this. Please talk to your doc and make him understand how bad you are hurting. Also, an endoscopic doc may lend some good advice for you as well. Good luck, friend...

I've been having so much gas that it wakes me up at night and I can't sleep. I swear if you stuck a pin in me I'd fly around the room.

My port area is protruding a little and the pain radiates around from the port area to my kidney area. My stomach is so bloated I can hardly wear pants without unbuttoning them. Even my underwear band puts pressure that is uncomfortable. And I haven't gained weight - I've lost some.

What tha?

I have extreme gas also. I do not have gas pains just alot of noise. I can't tell that one particular food does it. After I eat anything, It starts up. My husband just laughs and says he wishes he could as loud as me. It is however very embarrassing.

I am 10 mths post op and have just now started having severe bloating/gas issues. It is miserable. My abdomen is so bloated. This is actually what has drawn me to join this forum. Any advice from anyone that has dealt with this would be awesome. Thanks.

I'm sorry I have not responded to this thread since I am the one that started it. I had posted in another area and just get tired of the same ol responses... what are you eating... don't drink from a straw... walk more. I had finally had it. I made an appointment with my doctor and told him I just wanted the thing out of me. I prepared in advance exactly what I thought he would want and that was a food log, a log that charted when the gas was the worst and the research I did on why it was without a doubt the band.

I told my doctor that I wanted it out and revised to the RNY. I know this sounds radical. But I know it is right for me. I agreed to another colonoscopy and endoscopy to make sure all was well and it was!

My new surgery is scheduled for Monday February 25th. Back to square one..

Please feel free to ask questions, I will pay attention this time!

That does sound radical, but if you are not "one with your band" I can completely understand it. I haven't considered RNY, but I have wondered if some of my problems with my immune system have to do with the LB.

Have you considered the "sleeve"? My LB doc is doing more of those now than the LB. I believe it is nearly as effective as RNY, but don't quote me. I assume the reason he's using it in lieu of RNY is because of risk factors. But you know what they say about assumptions. :)

Of course if you just don't like having something artificial residing in you, then it makes sense that RNY is the best answer. I have always been scared to death of it because of all the horror stories, but I am absolutely sure that they have perfected the surgery and are far more proficient at it than when it was first being done (that prompted the negative stories).

I wish you the very best and hope that your new surgery is the perfect answer for you!

Thank you BJ I appreciate it. I was scared to death of the RNY also, but I've had several friends that have gone though it and I got off my Lap-Band Horse and researched it thoroughly. I have even watch the surgery a few times via YouTube. I am no longer afraid of it.

Honestly, anytime you go through a surgery it is scary. Having something artificial in me never bothered me and the band actually did well for me. The only reason I am though with it is the gas, and as I have stated before if it was just the gas I would deal with it. But the gas caused sever bloating, cramping and very, very loud, smelly ... well you get the idea.

My husband and I work together and on the drive home from work he would constantly ask me if we needed to go to the hospital. It was that bad. No one saw me like that other than him and trying to get a doctor or anyone else for that matter to understand I was not making up this issue or exaggerating it has been near impossible. Other than posting questions on this board and a few others I really haven't pushed the subject much. I am now going to talk about it and keep it going because we all need to keep in mind that the lap-band is still very new here in the US. It was only approved here since 2001. There are going to be minor (and I say minor because it was certainly not life-threatening) complications that need to be charted. The lap-band is obviously not for everyone. So if any of you hear of anyone suffering from this issue please let them know they are not alone.

Thank you for listening.