Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help me narrow down mexico surgeon choice

I used to but not anymore. That's how I know what I know. Before you ask, I cannot tell you who I worked for because I am truly afraid of what could happen to me. That's all I will say about that. I don't expect anyone to believe anything in particular that I post. What I'm hoping is that I raise questions in those researching surgeons so that they will look good and hard before they make any decisions.

Probably beliteweight since most of your posts are bashing them.

I have been reading your postings. I am just now make the very first steps in researching for a provider in Mexico. Ms. WASa yours have been very inlighting and most entertain. Thank you so much for the time you put in to this. I am wondering though, is there any patient coordinators that any of you out there might know and feel is safe and trust worthy? This can be a very scary thing. I would rather stay as close to my home state (Arkansas) as possible. I just do not know where to start the search. I would like to get a list of doctors, but I do not know which list to trust. I would like to be able to trust a patient coordinator, but I have read good and bad.

tovah1970

I just got back from Mexico..I had my surgery 6 days ago w/ Dr.Kuri in TJ, and I was also nervous about this, but I knew a few people who had already gone to him( and no-one was more nervous about going to Mexico than my husband was)so I had a great experience. He is an awesome & caring dr..the only problem I ran into was the language barrier at the hospital w/ some of the nurses and staff, some speak pretty good english, but most do not, so that was frustrating a little. I am very glad I did this and so far feel great w/out much pain, just a little sore. I live in Missouri, so "hi", we aren't very far away...I am going back to work tomorrow, I am a hairstylist and plan on 1/2 days this week, I don't think I'm up for full days yet...............Good luck and feel free to email me if you have anymore ?'s....Cindy:thumbup:

Thanks so much for your reply. My Dad was Banded on April 4th,(here in Little Rock AR) the next morning he was out feeding the dogs. He trains dog in his now 2nd career, after retiring from his first. He is feeling wonderful and is not starving. I defiantly want to do the lap band, but finance will just not allow for a US surgery. My only concern is the trip back home and the fills.

Hello, I was banded on March 25th by Dr. Guillermo Alvarez and I could not have been treated better by him or his staff-they truly did their best to make me and my friend feel at ease. Dr. Alvarez took time to talk with me and make sure I was at ease with everything-showed me around the hospital-everything that could be done to make me feel good was done. I have had NO pain whatsoever from the band and his coordinators have been in contact with me since the surgery, asking how I am feeling, how I am doing, etc. Of course there are going to be people who have had a bad experience with Mexican doctors, just as there are people who have had bad experiences with every freaking doctor in every freaking country-but I have found, as a general rule, when you expect bad things to happen, they generally will-please don't let the paranoia of some people ruin what could be a wonderfully monumental experience for you. Some people are so unhappy with their life that the only pleasure they can get is to try to make someone else miserable. My doctor was great, I am losing weight and feeling good and I will keep on doing so, not going around making derogatory remarks about others and worrying about someone doing me in-geez, I almost feel sorry for the twit. But not quite.

I have been reading your postings. I am just now make the very first steps in researching for a provider in Mexico. Ms. WASa yours have been very inlighting and most entertain. Thank you so much for the time you put in to this. I am wondering though, is there any patient coordinators that any of you out there might know and feel is safe and trust worthy? This can be a very scary thing. I would rather stay as close to my home state (Arkansas) as possible. I just do not know where to start the search. I would like to get a list of doctors, but I do not know which list to trust. I would like to be able to trust a patient coordinator, but I have read good and bad.

tovah1970

There are no patient coordinators that are trustworthy if they are posting on line and being dishonest about what they do. If they are sitting on a phone and responding to your questions and being honest about the fact that they are a patient coordinator then just realize that their job is to sell their doctor. They might be honest or they might not be. You have to verify everything that is said. Do they encourage you to find patients on your own to talk to or do they want to provide you with a list of names for you to call making sure you only talk to the happy folks and not those with problems? Are they claiming they have never had any infections or complications? If so, that's pretty well impossible. ALL doctors have complications, doesn't mean it is their fault, but all doctors experience complications with patients.

Are they encouraging you to do your own research and verify everything they say is true? Or are you just to take their word for it?

Are they making it sound like weight loss is a piece of cake with a band or are they telling you the truth, that it is typically hard but totally doable with WLS? Are they blowing smoke up your back side or coming clean and giving both sides of the story of banding?

A friend of mine is banded and she is getting a revision surgery (as am I). She is a patient facilitator and she told me that she makes it a point to tell everyone she is getting a revision, she wants people to know the good and the bad of banding. Sometimes you have to have the band removed. She wants her folks educated and not finding huge surprises after surgery.

If you call the coordinator do they call you back right away? If you email them, do they respond the same day? If not, why not? If they won't respond quickly before surgery it is a sure fire bet they won't be there after surgery when you have more questions.

Did your coordinator go to the doctor they work for, for their own surgery? If not, why not? Do they slam dunk all the other doctors to make their own doc look good or do they push the qualities of their own doctor to sell them?

Are they pushing the most expensive surgery they offer or are they trying to help you discover the particular procedure that is best for you and your eating patterns?

Just treat a patient coordinator the same as you would a used car salesman. Don't believe anything they say, verify everything. If you get a good coordinator that you have verified everything they said and they were telling the truth, spread the word. If they lied about everything under the sun, spread the word there too.

Thank you so much. I have already printed out your Research form. I am researcher for a dental insurance company,but a medical is a whole different language. I just did not know where to start. I have been reading your post and I love the way you are to the point. You have given me a lot to think about and your honesty is a great help. Your information is so very helpful. Again, thanks so much!!!

:confused:If you don't want to go through Belite what would you need to do? I am considering Dr. Rod and want to know my options about not using or using a facilitator?

Thanks

Kelly

:confused:If you don't want to go through Belite what would you need to do? I am considering Dr. Rod and want to know my options about not using or using a facilitator?

Thanks

Kelly

Contact Barbara, his asst. If you go through her she can schedule you for surgery in Acuna and then Belite is apparently out of the picture.

Something about if he does surgery in Acuna Belite is out of the picture. If he does surgery in Juarez then Belite is in the picture.

Just contact Barbara, she can fix all of this.

I had my surgery done with Dr. Lopez AND had a great experience; however, was overcharged by belight aka belightus.com waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than other patients did (think $400 more) and when I told them about it, they just blamed it on the failure of the other doctors….

I would recommend Lopez, but do your search first and try to get it cheaper (I think worldmed.com). Good luck.

As, I was told by Barbara, if you have already contacted Belite then they will be working through them. If no contact was made you can go direct..(if Belite did work, they need to be paid and they honor that system)

I had my surgery done with Dr. Lopez. and had a great experience; however, was overcharged by belight aka belightus.com waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than other patients did (think $400 more) and when I told them about it, they just blamed it on the failure of the other doctors….

I would recommend Lopez, but do your search first and try to get it cheaper (I think worldmed.com). Good luck.

Actually I contacted Belite and got some information but never discussed actually having it done through them. My friend who had the procedure gave me their number and Jessica emailed me some information but that was it and I have not spoken to them in over a month about it nor has she contacted me at all, so I don't know if that is something they would still consider making go through Belite or not...and for the record I don't know that I wouldn't want to go through them I am still researching it out. Is there a price difference if you don't go through Belite and does Dr. Rod's assistant Barbara still make the travel arrangements to and from the airport and stuff like that..or is that Belite thing? I do know that I am almost 99% sure that I will be using Dr. JOSE Rodriguez for my surgery. I have personal knowledge from my friend of him and she liked him and the research I have been doing also says to me that he is good with credible experience. I did call Inamed and they said he was a proctor I think is the word they used...but that it did appear that I had done my research and even though they could not tell me the exact amount of bands that he had purchased that he was reputable. I am also curious about the whole J&J band with it not being the whole realize band and only the realize port. What difference would this make and why wouldn't they use the same band and port? I have heard that the J&J is harder, or should I say you require more fills to reach that "sweet spot" then the Inamed? Can anyone answer that one as well? Does anyone have Barbaras contact information so that I can contact her? Where is she located out of? Thanks you guys for your help.