Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help me narrow down mexico surgeon choice

I had dr Rodriguez in Juarez, which is right across the border from El Paso. In a brand new hospital that looks like a 5 star resort. the whole process was so easy with Belite taking me thru every step of the way. I had the surgery on Dec 5, 2007 and still get calls from the girls at Belite. I spend 3 mights in the hospital, I went alone and never once felt alone, the language barrier is sometimes confusing, but we made it work. Go to FILLCENTERS USA, and find a fill center, I know I live in Florida for 8 months during the winter and have a fill center 30 miles away in St Pete's but when I go back to Wisconsin for 4 months there is not one any where close.

I live in FLorida and my sister and I are considering Dr. Rodriguez..Is there anything special you could add that may make the surgery better for us and anything you might have learned that we could improve on...

I picked you for some questions as we are close to the same age and area..and you seem very pleased with the surgery..

I felt compelled to write this testimonial after returning from Mexico where I received my lapband from Dr. Joya. I am a nurse from the USA, who has been dealing with weight loss issues for years. I tried many weight loss tactics which all resulted in failure, (lose 10 pounds, gain 15). I didn't have time for exercise, ( 2 jobs, kids, etc). and a million excuses for not being able to. Besides, with being overweight, I didn't have the energy and I lacked self-esteem, so there was no motivation for exercise. (I did try the gym for a short time, but that didn't seem to give me results. I seemed to eat more, since I was burning calories. Besides, I wasn't committed for the above reasons).

So, in desperation, I realized I wanted to do something about my weight. I didn't want gastric bypass. That is too permanent, I am not sure about long term consequences and I need to be able to reverse what I am doing for my weight loss, just in case , down the road, they find harmful side effects. And that is where the lapband seemed the best alternative. I spoke with nutritionists who have said the key to weight loss is small, frequent meals. My problem is Portion Control. When I really like something, I don't control my portion size. It is difficult, since I am considered an "emotional eater" or "stress eater" too. I find satisfaction and comfort in GOOD food. So, the lapband appears that it will fix my greatest downfall, and that is portion control.

Now, I had to decide how to go about getting the lapband done. Insurance wouldn't cover it. So, I had to pay cash. In the USA, cheapest was $11,000. In Mexico, it was $8,000. Now, my decision was, should I chance going to Mexico. I am dealing with a surgery and putting my life into the hands of someone in a country, that I am not familiar with. You know, you hear the stories, "substandard care, cockroaches, etc". Well, let me tell you. All of my fears were unnecessary. When I researched online MD's in Mexico, there didn't appear to be any negative comments on Dr. Joya. There is a lapband site not affiliated with Dr. Joya that adds comments on all lapband doctors and Dr. Joya was spoken of with all positive comments.

So, let me tell you of my experience. After two years of deliberating. When I decided I wanting to get the lapband, I called Dr. Joya and was able to schedule my surgery within 2 weeks. I paid the $8,000 and that included everything ( no hidden costs). They paid and arranged the airfare, transportation (except back to the airport from the hotel, that cost $5), and all surgical related expenses. Nothing else came out of my pocket.

Now here is my story of my journey. I arrived Mexico on Tuesday, (by myself). The prearranged taxi, by Dr. Joya was waiting for me. They brought me to the Cornerstone Hospital (nice, clean hospital, NO signs of filth. JCHACO, Department of Health would not have any environmental issues). They performed tests on me. They got my blood work and IV with one needle stick. After 4 hours and meeting key players dealing with my healthcare, I went to the OR. I was awake as I was transferred to the OR table and they applied monitoring equipment on me. I was thinking OK, where is anesthesia, I am ready for the good stuff that will knock me out. I was thinking, OK, I saw enough of the OR, when are they going to knock me out. And, before you know it, I am opening my eyes and the procedure is over. It only lasted 30 minutes. Pain was minimal, the staff was great at giving pain medicine in the IV. Don't refuse it, just keep asking for it. There is no need to be uncomfortable. I was able to walk to the bathroom that night, without any problems. I slept on and off through the night. Not because of pain, but because I couldn't believe I did it. The next morning I showered and packed for the Hotel. I didn't have any problems with any valuables missing. The key people spoke English. (the only thing I would suggest is bring a small translation book for Spanish when you speak to ancillary help). Just in case there is something you want. I wanted chicken broth, but the dietary staff didn't understand. So then they transferred me to the Hotel. It was a beach front hotel and under other circumstances, I would have had a blast at that hotel. But, since I just had surgery, I wasn't exactly up to "partying it up". I felt good, but not that good.

I recovered that 2nd night in the hotel, taking my pain meds and antibiotics that Dr. Joya provided. The next day, Thursday, I was on my way home. I went to the shops next to the hotel for mementos, but found Puerto Varlet to be commercialized with Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Outback’s, etc. Hey, I thought I was in Mexico, but, I almost felt like I was back home. Except in Mexico, it was 79 degrees, not 20. There was a beautiful ocean, it was nice. So, I took a taxi back to the airport (10 minutes away) and I was on my way home. I got in Philly at 2am and drove straight to work at 5am. Yes, I felt that okay, that I went to work. I wouldn't advise you to do that, you should pamper yourself for a day or two. But, for me, it was unavoidable. Bottom line though, is that I was actually okay enough to do it.

So, for anyone that is skeptical and wants to know if they should do it. I say go for it. You will not be disappointed. I received care that was comparable to care that you would receive in the USA. I was safe. The price was awesome and there were no extra expenses. I definitely would recommend Dr. Joya. He is professional. He has staff like Natalie, that "hold your hand" and walk you through the whole experience. And once you return to the United States, there are Doctors in your area that will monitor and fill your band as needed so that you don't have to travel back to Mexico. Not that I wouldn't love to travel back there, because I definitely would have Dr. Joya follow up with me. But, because of the cost of travel, it makes it difficult.

I hope this information helps anyone considerin

I am trying to decide between doctors in Mexico (Ortiz, Rumbaut and Rodriquez) and am getting confused...what is Belite? Is this like a booking agency and do they charge a fee?

The location of Monterrey is more appealing than TJ but I hear such good things about all three...any experiences or advice anyone can offer me would really be greatly appreciated as I don't know who to pick out of the 3!!!!!

Thanks so much and congrats on all of your sucesses, you are an inspiration!

I happen to be on line as this came in...I am going to Juarez via El Paso as that makes the most sense for me..I am having surgery Friday with my sister too..

Belite is a service and a facilator..for Dr. Rod as we call him. They have some sort of fee included but not that much for all they do..or you can contact the doctor directly the difference is not more than a couple hundred dollars if that..I am using Teri from Belite.. I really don't know of the other doctors..I do think there is a hospital in TJ and the Hospital Angeles in Juarez is a new place and I hear forst hand it is state of the art..

You can contact me when I get back and I then can give a one on one experience..

My direct email is: brenda_t@sprynet.com and I don;t mind helping as some many people have helped me..Brenda

There is more than one dr. Rodriguez--I went to Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey--he is not associated with Belite

I am trying to decide between doctors in Mexico (Ortiz, Rumbaut and Rodriquez) and am getting confused...what is Belite? Is this like a booking agency and do they charge a fee?

The location of Monterrey is more appealing than TJ but I hear such good things about all three...any experiences or advice anyone can offer me would really be greatly appreciated as I don't know who to pick out of the 3!!!!!

Belite is an overpaid, underworked patient coordinator. It's a business, they promote certain doctors, schedule surgery, and collect a HUGE fee for doing so. The more money they make from each doctor the more they push that doctor. Some of their docs are the best of the best, some aren't. So you really can't take anything ANY patient coordinator says as fact, they are selling you a surgeon and if they talk you into that surgeon the coordinator earns a fee. They sure aren't going to sell you someone where they won't earn a buck.

That's why research is critical and you have to find the doctor that is right for you.

Belite is sort of a necessary evil that is quickly becoming a monopoly. Advertising is exceedingly expensive, a doctor has a hard time doing it on his own. Belite is sort of like an insurance company in some ways, they help the doctors share expenses.

Some docs only use them for advertising, some docs use them to follow up patients as well. Some docs only want their own staff doing follow up care and they don't want Belite involved in that. So Belite can be used in many ways. The sad part is that it is quickly becoming an monopoly that that is not in the best interest of folks like us, folks in the bariatric system just trying to lose weight.

Again, research is critical, don't go without it.

Brenda6212:

Belite is a service and a facilator..for Dr. Rod as we call him. They have some sort of fee included but not that much for all they do
That's up for debate. When facilitators recruit lots of patients they earn lots of money. They get "X" dollars and the owner of belite gets the bulk of it. She isn't exactly poor, even considering her bankruptcy and various legal actions going on right now.

I have no problem with coordinators, I just don't like them posing as newbie patients going to the doc that will earn them the most money. That's dishonest and if the docs are really good their rep should stand on it's own without the deception.

Edit to add:

Brenda...

I'm curious about something. You say that belite does not make much money for all that they do. How do you know this?

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

Hello all, I will be going to TJ on April 8 to b banded w/ Dr. Kuri...I know a few people who have been w/ him....so if u dont mind, what is ur opinion of dr. Kuri, cause I've heard nothing but good things about him and his staff....Cindy

DO NOT USE BELITE! They are unethical have been in lots of legal trouble and you cannot trust anything they say!

I used belite and never had any problems with them. I guess every one has their own experiences, but I never had any issues. Everything they told me was right on. They sent me all kinds of materials to read before hand, helped find a fill doctor close to me, and still hear from them from time to time to check on my progress.

I too used Belite and had a great experience! They were very informative and were with me all the way including the after care....I was banded by Dr. Aceves Feb. 7th, 2008 and he was a wonderful doctor. If I had to do it all over again I would still use belite ....Like I said, they were wonderful to me...

I went to Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta. It was comparable to the hospital care you would receive in the United States, if not a bit better, since they didn't appear to be short staffed. Everything was included for $8,000, including your airfare. That was great. The only expense I had was for the taxi ride back to airport, ($5.00). The only thing you should make sure you have available in the US is a fill doctor. There is a place called Fill Centers Of America. Hope this helps.

Laura

OK! I am VERY confused and overwhelmed right now. I am going through Be Lite Weight to have my surgery on the 11th. I have requested it be at the new hopital in Juarez with Dr. Rod. But I am not liking what I am hearing about BLW. HELP I will gladly accept PMs

Also I like waht I read from afbflf about her experience. Plus the airfare being included in the price. this is so overwhelming!

I used Dr. Carlos Alessandrini at Bajanor Hospital in Tijuana. There have been about 10 of us go from our small East Texas town. Only one person has had problems.The price,staff are great. The only thing to consider is when you have it done in Mexico, you don't get hardly any pain medicine for coming home. They give you a very small bottle of weak pain medicine, might as well take tylenol. Here in the state I have heard several people say they got liquid darvecet, etc. Will make a big difference when you are hurting after surgery.