Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help me narrow down mexico surgeon choice

RomeGA3

I am considering going to dr ortiz...how did you contact them initially? did you call them, email them???

did they pick you up in San Diego? from the time they did that, how long were you in mexico?

which hospital did you stay in?

can you post a timeline of what took place?

thanks a ton

greeneyedlady, how is your daughter doing? i go to Dr. A on March 6.

My doctors are with Obesity Goodbye and they have an U.S. phone number. They will pick you up at the San Diego airport and take you back and... they have a completely bi-lingual patient coordinator. Uscually the day you arrive, you have the pre-opt testing done and if early enough the procedure done that evening. Then, stay in the hospital overnight and the next day are discharged. The second day is spent shopping and sightseeing -- usually with the patient coordinator -- then the following day go home. A quick trip (usually Friday or Saturday through Monday)... including travel time. As a matter of fact, I'm going next Saturday, March 1 and returning Monday, March 3 if anyone wants to go with me. I had it done with this group and have lost 120 lbs. -- never to regain it!

I ordered his book (lapband for life) on Amazon.com and read it to try to understand as much as I could

go to lapbandforum.com and read the lenghthy post I wrote on feb 21st...the title is

"fear of surgery? You're in awesome hands!"

when you first get in to the site, look under

'SUPPORT/GENERAL DISCUSSIONS? & you will find my post...I think it may help....

Good Luck!!

I had surgery 1/10/08 with Dr. Rumbaut. I could recommend highly enough. Awesome experience. He is THE MOST EXPERIENCED lap-band dr in the entire western hemisphere. I recommend him 100%. Just my opinion and experience though.

Hi-Hope you are still doing well! I, too, am considering Dr. Rumbaut, but I'm wondering...did you ever look into the Obesity Control Center in Tijuana? Dr. Ariel Ortiz looks very experienced. Have you heard of him? Thanks so much for your help and best of luck to you!

Alyssa

Hi Alyssa,

I was just banded on Friday in Monterrey, Mexico by Dr. Arturo Rodriguez and it was a wonderful experience!

The cost was $7900 - I arrived there on Friday morning, they did the procedure on Friday afternoon, and I was home (Wisconsin) by Sunday evening.

This morning I wake up to very minimal soreness and feeling great - in fact I am going back to work today.

Dr. Rodriguez and his staff were amazing! They were very attentive and extremely friendly. They had someone 'hold my hand' through the whole process...she was there to answer any questions I had and to make sure I was comfortable. She was with me throughout the ENTIRE process.

On Wednesday, Dr. Rodriguez is going to Texas to teach a few doctors how to place the band - He is a member of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery.

In case you're interested, here's a link to his website:

Lap band surgery - Gastric Banding - Grupo Endro-Bariatrico Mexico

Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey is an absolute dear. His entire staff is genuinely caring and great! I went back last week for a fill and had exactly the same feeling with both Dr. R and Gina. I will also say that I got more personable care there than with anything I have ever had done here. If you look on the realize band site--those are his patients!

Mary,

I went to Dr. Arturo Rodriguez on Friday to be banded and I agree... I don't think I would have gotten a staff anywhere in the states that was as personable as his!

Hi Alyssa,

I had my surgery done with the Obesity Goodbye Center in Tijuana and can't be happier. Their surgeons have done about 7,000 bands -- even one of the doctors, Dr. Sergio Verboonan, has a band himself. I go often to take patients from the states because the prices are so much better and the doctors so much more experienced. You can go and be done in about three days. It's the best hospital experience I've ever had -- great folks who are so atten tive and really care. I've lost 120 lbs. never to regain!

Hi Alyssa,

I had my surgery done with the Obesity Goodbye Center in Tijuana and can't be happier. Their surgeons have done about 7,000 bands -- even one of the doctors, Dr. Sergio Verboonan, has a band himself. I go often to take patients from the states because the prices are so much better and the doctors so much more experienced. You can go and be done in about three days. It's the best hospital experience I've ever had -- great folks who are so atten tive and really care. I've lost 120 lbs. never to regain!

Dr. Verboonan is NOT one of the quality surgeons in Mexico. Actually, he's on the other end of quality. Besides, he's not one of the more ethical people today.

He was in prison and not for being an angel but for screwing the US insurance industry. I think he should have gotten more time than he did but I wasn't his court room judge and I don't always get my own way. ;o)

Actually, I never heard that tale about Dr. "V"... I just know he saved my life, unlike any of the doctors (or especially the insurance companies here). Not one insurance company here would consider covering my lap band surgery and I was almost 200 lbs overweight, suffering from so many illnesses I can't count... but yet they wanted me to pay twice as much as I did in Mexico to have the surgery done. Now, you tell me who should go to jail?

dedria, just about every one of your posts is touting the Obesity Goodbye clinic. How much do they pay you?

Dr verboonen went to jail for scamming the US insurance companies, making false claims. It was in the news if you are interested in looking it up. I certainly wouldn't start my search for a surgeon with one already proven to be unethical. There are enough good ones out there.

Kara--where do you go for aftercare in Wisconsin, or do you go back to Mexico for fills and (hopefully not) complications?

Hi-

I'm in Chicago and in the same position as you. My insurance won't cover me, so I'm self-pay. My husband is a physician...we've been doing the research and he has a phone consultation scheduled with Dr. Ariel Ortiz tomorrow night. I can let you know how it goes, if you'd like.

Dr. Rumbault and Dr. Ortiz both seem highly qualified, but if anything doesn't go as planned, I'd rather be a few minutes from a San Diego hospital, rather than in the middle of Mexico in Monterrey. But that's just me. Also, Dr. Ortiz's continuing medical education/training seems a little more impressive. Right now I'm scheduled to be banded on April 18.