Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting BMI over 50? come on in!

Hi all!!!

I just just got back from my UGI to see if there was an issue with the band (slipped, or something) sinc eI had been having this pressure and slight pain everytime I ate. Not to mention the continuous throwing up (at least 1 time a day). The results look good, no issues with the band itself. Dr.Alami said if I continue to have issues to come in to get a slight unfill. Any thoughts? I have had this issue off and on for the last 5 months; very little weight loss (if any), throwing up at least one meal a day, cannot eat anything more than greek yogurt for Breakfast (sometimes not even that), the easiest time of day to eat (literally) is after 8 pm.

I am trying to be really honest with myself about this band but I am sooooo afraid of getting Fluid out and being able to eat too much, but on the other hand I leave for a cruise in 1 week and I am afraid I will not enjoy myself because I might have to get up in the middle of our fancy dinner and make a run for the nearest restroom to throw up. Some people think I will be more relaxed there and should have a better opportunity to eat easier while on the cruise but I just don't know.

Please ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Hey Apple, sounds like you´re too tight. Not sure about you, but when I get stressed or nervous my band gets tighter.

I am trying to be really honest with myself about this band but I am sooooo afraid of getting Fluid out and being able to eat too much, but on the other hand I leave for a cruise in 1 week and I am afraid I will not enjoy myself because I might have to get up in the middle of our fancy dinner and make a run for the nearest restroom to throw up. Some people think I will be more relaxed there and should have a better opportunity to eat easier while on the cruise but I just don't know.

Please ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Sorry I didnt get to this sooner.If you did not get a unfill then take some xanex or something to help you relax. When I went on my cruise I could not eat in the resturant most nights. too much of a rush to get you thru your meal on time. And I was always too hungry by the time dinner came arround and would eat that forst bite too quick then I was stuck. It really sucked. And I was more nervious because everyone kept asking me if I was ok and stuff.

Once one of my friends gave me a xanex to relax (I had forgotten my percription) I actualy was able to eat that evening and the next day...Not like I ate before surgery...but like a Normal person...ok maybe not even that much but I could taste each thing that came out.

Sorry I didnt get to this sooner.If you did not get a unfill then take some xanex or something to help you relax. When I went on my cruise I could not eat in the resturant most nights. too much of a rush to get you thru your meal on time. And I was always too hungry by the time dinner came arround and would eat that forst bite too quick then I was stuck. It really sucked. And I was more nervious because everyone kept asking me if I was ok and stuff.

Once one of my friends gave me a xanex to relax (I had forgotten my percription) I actualy was able to eat that evening and the next day...Not like I ate before surgery...but like a Normal person...ok maybe not even that much but I could taste each thing that came out.

I wish I had seen that sooner, too. I just got back from a cruise a few days ago and only problems I had were my own doing... eating too much or too fast. We had very relaxing and enjoyable meals. For the most part I made good, band-friendly choices and I did not feel deprived in any way. One night I had to leave the table during dessert, but it was my fault. I was full but stupidly decided to "taste"my dessert anyway. Very often, when I know I am at capacity, even a tiny bite of something sweet will cause an adverse reaction... like I think I'm going to lose it RIGHT NOW. As it was, I excused myself and went to the rest room where I did a little "sliming", but that's all that came up. Sorry>> TMI! Over the course of the week, I ate some things I normally wouldn't, like some carbs.. potatoes, a little rice, etc. And some Desserts, a few drinks, but overall... I did not over indulge and what I gained was 1.8 lb and it's already gone. I ate lots of fish... smoked salmon with my breakfast every morning, lobster tail two different nights, red snapper another night. Twice I had lamb and once prime rib. We did the buffet twice for lunch, but... not a good idea... too many choices and too many temptations, so we didn't go back. Well, I know DH was sneaking up there sometimes between lunch and dinner for a piece of pizza or a hamburger...

but he gained NINE lbs!!

10_10_2.gif

hello all! i'm so happy there is a group for us 50+ BMIers who opt for the band vs. the bypass. :smile:)

everyone here who's at 100+ pounds lost are super-inspirational to me, and i'm very happy to know that i'm almost half way to the 100+ pounds lost club (and i've only been banded six weeks!).

i have a question though...it seems like those of us with so much weight to lose tend to lose pretty steadily at first (i may be wrong in this assumption, but it's the case with me and most of the people with a lot less to lose who've been banded when i've been banded seem to be losing much more slowly). my question is this: does the weight loss tend to taper off and slow once you hit a certain mark? is there a trend for this? i imagine that'd be the case, and it scares me to think that i could get sososoclose to my goal and then really struggle to make the ultimate goal happen...

any thoughts or words of encouragement?

hello all! i'm so happy there is a group for us 50+ BMIers who opt for the band vs. the bypass. :smile:)

everyone here who's at 100+ pounds lost are super-inspirational to me, and i'm very happy to know that i'm almost half way to the 100+ pounds lost club (and i've only been banded six weeks!).

i have a question though...it seems like those of us with so much weight to lose tend to lose pretty steadily at first (i may be wrong in this assumption, but it's the case with me and most of the people with a lot less to lose who've been banded when i've been banded seem to be losing much more slowly). my question is this: does the weight loss tend to taper off and slow once you hit a certain mark? is there a trend for this? i imagine that'd be the case, and it scares me to think that i could get sososoclose to my goal and then really struggle to make the ultimate goal happen... any thoughts or words of encouragement?

It's an individual thing, but for me, the weight loss has slowed down. You just have to persist and keep on keeping on! I have knee issues which limit the exercise I can do and that is an important element. We winter in So CA and I have access to a nice warm pool where I participate in Water aerobics 5 days a week, but at home... I'm somewhat limited. I use a Wii Fit, also, mostly at home, but lately that seems to aggravate the knees and then I can't walk! I'm still losing, but slowly. Hoping to have knee replacement done in the next few months and then things will improve on the exercise front.

Press on!!

You CAN do this!!

It's an individual thing, but for me, the weight loss has slowed down. You just have to persist and keep on keeping on! I have knee issues which limit the exercise I can do and that is an important element. We winter in So CA and I have access to a nice warm pool where I participate in Water aerobics 5 days a week, but at home... I'm somewhat limited. I use a Wii Fit, also, mostly at home, but lately that seems to aggravate the knees and then I can't walk! I'm still losing, but slowly. Hoping to have knee replacement done in the next few months and then things will improve on the exercise front.

Press on!!

You CAN do this!!

thanks! with inspirational mentors like yourself online here, i know i can do it, too!! all the best with your upcoming knee operation. i wish you a speedy recovery!! :smile:

i have a question though...it seems like those of us with so much weight to lose tend to lose pretty steadily at first (i may be wrong in this assumption, but it's the case with me and most of the people with a lot less to lose who've been banded when i've been banded seem to be losing much more slowly). my question is this: does the weight loss tend to taper off and slow once you hit a certain mark? is there a trend for this? i imagine that'd be the case, and it scares me to think that i could get sososoclose to my goal and then really struggle to make the ultimate goal happen...

I started at a BMI of over 60. I have about 300lbs to lose. I lost the first 100 in about 6 or 7 months and the second 50 in about 7 months. It has slowed down drastically, but I have learned that you have to really kick up your exercise and be diligent to watch everything you eat. When I eat right, no white/bad carbs, Protein first and fruits/veggies/whole grains, I lose. If I don't, I stall. I eat about 1200 calories a day with 60-80 grams of protein and I work out 6 to 7 days a week. I've also had to add different things to my workouts. I used to only do the cycle and swimming laps, now I've added weight lifting and Water aerobics. You can do it! I'm more than half way to my goal and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Yes it slows down BUT it does keep going down! I only lose about 2-3 pounds a month but thats ok as long as I am loosing! Good Luck!

Where is everyone????

No posts in over 3 months!

Hello Everyone!!!

I just wanted to say that you all are my heroes!!! I was banded on July 28th this year and my BMI is 48. I have a long journey ahead. I have had several friends have the band, but most of them only needed to lose like 60lbs, so it is hard to identify with them at times, but here I feel like you guys really understand. I need to lose around 155lbs. I just wanted to say what an inspiration everyone in this forum is. Thank God for people like you all!!!

:wink2:

Hello Everyone!!! I just wanted to say that you all are my heroes!!! I was banded on July 28th this year and my BMI is 48. I have a long journey ahead. I have had several friends have the band, but most of them only needed to lose like 60lbs, so it is hard to identify with them at times, but here I feel like you guys really understand. I need to lose around 155lbs. I just wanted to say what an inspiration everyone in this forum is. Thank God for people like you all!!!:scared2:

WELCOME!!

You CAN DO IT!!

Well, when I started my BMI was EXACTLY 50. Now, I am proud to say I am only obese...Sad, that I am excited about being just obese, but I am. My BMI is now 36.8. I was banded a year ago and still have a lot to lose, but I am happy with my progress so far.

Well, when I started my BMI was EXACTLY 50. Now, I am proud to say I am only obese...Sad, that I am excited about being just obese, but I am. My BMI is now 36.8. I was banded a year ago and still have a lot to lose, but I am happy with my progress so far.

I started with BMI almost 64! I'm just below 42 now. Slow going this past year, but hoping knee replacement later this month will allow me to ramp up my exercise.... after recovery phase.

My BMI is over 50 and I'm just a little over a week from my banding date. I've almost hit the 50lbs lost mark before surgery but I'm finding that the 'liquid diet' is really hard. I had started exploring the Protein Drinks about a month ago and have been doing 1 or 2 meals for most of the past month using the drinks, but for some reason when the call came and I was told 'only liquids', I'm having some sort of a melt down moment. To this point, I've given up pop, steak, bread and been fine with all that but I'm finding now that I'm starving. Labs are Monday, this is Saturday...I don't want to blow this and being well prepared for surgery day is my top priority. Anyone have great words of wisdom and how they made it over the hurtle of liquids. I'm really feeling discouraged cause up to this point, it's gone great, I haven't had the urge to snack or cheat and the weight and slowly and steadily gone over the past 5 or 6 months. .....