Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Welcome to our new friends! I wish you great success. I am scheduled for banding on December 4th - it's been a long wait, which frustrated me for a while, but I'm beginning to realize how helpful it has been because I've had a chance to read and learn a lot about what my life will be like in a few weeks/months, and over the rest of my life. That is a big deal, and it can be scary!

I was talking with a friend over the weekend (3 hrs in the car yesterday!). She recently has been diagnosed with a serious gluten allergy and is learning how to eat all over again. Do you realize how many products have gluten (including soy sauce, for crying out loud!)? We were discussing our dietary futures, and came to the conclusion that millions of people have these kinds of permanent dietary changes in their lives. Diabetes, Crohn's disease, siliac disease, allergies, irritable bowel syndrome, on and on and on -- and morbid obesity. Other people make these changes successfully, and we can too. We even have a tool to help us. My friend, who loves breads of all kinds, Pasta, and many of the foods that have gluten written in tiny letters on the label, does not have a tool. She has to watch everything she buys and question every server in a restaurant. Same with all these other folks who suffer from diseases such as hers. Let's consider how lucky we are and work hard to make the most of this tool - and make the most of our lives.

Katydid - congratulations on your long-awaited loss! I hope you are feeling better.

Little Bit - check out some of the recipes that IndioGirl has posted on this thead - back a few pages but worth the trip. She cooked chicken, beef, etc., to make her own broths. Much tastier and you can flavor the way you want.

Susanr - is there an indoor pool in your area where you could swim, kick, or walk in the Water? That's a good way to get started and is easy on the joints. Walking much is not an option for me because of my knee, but a gentle walk a couple of times a day will get you going if you can do it. You don't have to do much getting started, but just moving around will help you.

Good luck to everyone!

and another thing...

At the recommendation of the psychologist I saw for the surgery approval, I just finished the book Mindless Eating. Very good book with a lot of interesting studies (easily read, too) and very sensible conclusions/suggestions. I got it from Amazon at a good price. I recommend it for anyone considering lapband, as well as those who are banded. Even you successful veterans out there would find it useful and entertaining. You are already doing a lot of what is suggested, but it's fun to see why those habits are important.

Turns out we are not alone. The eating cues we receive are the same for everyone, and it's how we respond to those cues that make or break us. We can do it!

Hi Joann--I always read your posts with interest....you've remained so positive and supportive even while playing your own waiting game for surgery. I'm so happy that you have a date now! I'm still in insurance limbo, but am trying to remain optimistic. (How naive was I? When I started this journey earlier this year, I thought insurance would be the least of my worries!) I was supposed to be banded on September 9th, but am still fighting with UHC. Their denials make no sense to anyone who has reviewed my records, but who knows why any of this is happening? I have to believe it's for a good reason.....I've taken some positive steps to resolve things, working with my corporate advocates group (and I KNOW how lucky I am to have insurance and this kind of help available to me!) and contacting obesitylaw.com. (I had a pleasant surprise from them...based on what I sent, it looks like I am eligible for an appeals through Allergan's appeals/advocacy program. The lawyers at obesitylaw.com handle the case and there's no charge to me. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but I'm appreciating that I have still one other avenue to explore.

On another note, I've known someone for many years who finally was diagnosed with a gluten allergy several years ago. Up to that point, she suffered so much dietary distress and no one could tell her why. Now she, like your friend, needs to read every label carefully and avoid gluten religiously. The good news is that her health improved dramatically once she was on the right regimen of food. Now she pretty much knows where to shop and what to buy to maintain her health. Good luck to your friend!

Lastly, my psychologist also recommended Mindless Eating. It's a great book! He also suggested Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. I've read both and they were both worth the purchase price!

I am 53 and had my band on january 17, 2008, i have been struggling the last 2 months. no weight lost. any comments:tongue2::smile2::tongue2::Banane27::Banane53::blink:

What are you eating - give me a typical day's food - what kinds and how much - how many fills have you had - how much can you eat at one sitting and Exercise ??? are you ??

flowers,

where do you find the SF syrups? since i'm post op i'm going to ask the dietician tomorrow if it's ok to use the flavorings. 10 days left one the liquid diet. it is going better than i thought it would. i try to stay home and away from food!! :laugh:

i only get 2 shakes a day instead of the normal 4. i have to divide them into 4 meals. i put them in a blender with ice and splenda and it makes a lot more. i'm afraid to drink too much broth because of the salt in it. i'm afaid it will cause me to retain Fluid.< /p>

i really don't have much of a problem until about 5 o'clock, then i get hungry bad. i've also been eating sf popsicles and juice bars. they make me feel like i'm actually eating because i get to bite them. ha ha

i am so tired and i want to sleep a lot. i only get dizzy when i bend over. i guess sleeping is good, when i'm sleeping i'm not eating.

Have you tried making your own broth - I did - it's so much better than the canned stuff - can you have creamed Soups - they were my life saver - you can make a pot of Beans - blend the beans and add them back to the broth - cream of bean Soup - taste good and has Protein. Try the sf dark choc pudding and sf healthy choice fudgecicles..

You may need your blood pressure meds adjusted...

I'm a new user. I know this group will be more helpful to me. Thanks for the info like "this is a tool not the cure" and "exercise is key". I switched from wanting the gastric by-pass to the lap band and joined this site for support and info. I will start the long journey all over again since changing insurance companies.

One question is: Is anyone on medications that might slow down or hamper normal weight loss expectations. We sometime have arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure, pains requiring pain killers, etc. How do we manage that after surgery?

Losing weight will help get you off most your meds!!!

Hi Joann--I always read your posts with interest....you've remained so positive and supportive even while playing your own waiting game for surgery. I'm so happy that you have a date now! I'm still in insurance limbo, but am trying to remain optimistic. (How naive was I? When I started this journey earlier this year, I thought insurance would be the least of my worries!) I was supposed to be banded on September 9th, but am still fighting with UHC. Their denials make no sense to anyone who has reviewed my records, but who knows why any of this is happening? I have to believe it's for a good reason.....I've taken some positive steps to resolve things, working with my corporate advocates group (and I KNOW how lucky I am to have insurance and this kind of help available to me!) and contacting obesitylaw.com. (I had a pleasant surprise from them...based on what I sent, it looks like I am eligible for an appeals through Allergan's appeals/advocacy program. The lawyers at obesitylaw.com handle the case and there's no charge to me. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but I'm appreciating that I have still one other avenue to explore.

On another note, I've known someone for many years who finally was diagnosed with a gluten allergy several years ago. Up to that point, she suffered so much dietary distress and no one could tell her why. Now she, like your friend, needs to read every label carefully and avoid gluten religiously. The good news is that her health improved dramatically once she was on the right regimen of food. Now she pretty much knows where to shop and what to buy to maintain her health. Good luck to your friend!

Lastly, my psychologist also recommended Mindless Eating. It's a great book! He also suggested Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies. I've read both and they were both worth the purchase price!

Hi Acadiamom,

My friend has been sick for over a year prior to this diagnosis, which was just made about a month ago. She is already feeling much better and her symptoms are gone. She CAN eat lots of things that were causing her problems before, and is very happy about that. As for us, there will always be things she misses, but she believes that over time we all will find that food is less important to us, and our new bodies and new interests will become more important in our lives. She is a very positive person and I love being around her. Always good ideas from her!

Psych also recommended WLS for Dummies - I have not read it yet. Also The Emotional First Aid Kit was recommended. He said Mindless Eating and Emotional First Aid Kit should be in MY library - others I could get from public library, but I should have those two and refer back as needed. The more information the better.

Keep pushing your insurance. There was another poster on one of these threads who had United Health Care and was denied. She was successful with her appeal. Our good friend Phyllser on this thread once worked in this field - she was very helpful to the other poster (wish I could remember her name). If Phyllser is online she will check this thread and perhaps be able to give you more tips.

Good luck in your journey,

Hi

JoannMarie: Congratulations on your date!! Yes, the waiting is awful, but you have really done your homework and I believe my wait helped me be really ready for all these changes, as it has you!

I had a fill last week, now at 6cc in a 9cc band - and I'm finally actually feeling some restriction! The past two days I was 'gulping' down my food - grilled pork tenderloin yeseterday, and hamburger helper today - and both times I had to stop - before I emotionally wanted to - because it was getting stuck!! Now I have to actually EAT SLOW and CHEW WELL. I had been getting away with not doing that very well, but no longer. I still can eat a lot of some foods - but the oddest things if swallowed too fast are causing me problems. Like I ate a 3 reduced fat townhouse crackers last night - and nearly PB'd them up. Eventually they went down - but I learned my lesson. Sort of - at least now when I get that sensation, I know enough to stop! I can eat juicy things - like apples - with no problem.

As uncomfortable as it is...it makes me so happy that this band is doing its job! I need firm reminders! :-)

I'll have to look up that "mindless eating' book. I find that at work during the day is the worst - I sit at my desk and just keeping thinking about what else I brought along to eat. Usually, I stick to my predetermined food allotment, but will eat it all before lunch! I know it's boredom and something to distract me from what I should be doing, but if I'm the least bit hungry, I can't think about anything else. Drinking Water doesn't help. I've found that diet hot chocolate helps for awhile, but then all too quickly that craving for a full belly comes back. I'll tell myself 'not till 30 mintues past" but 10 minutes later, I just eat whatever was "next" on my food agenda. Pathetic, eh?

How have you all conquered that???

Hi

JoannMarie: Congratulations on your date!! Yes, the waiting is awful, but you have really done your homework and I believe my wait helped me be really ready for all these changes, as it has you!

I had a fill last week, now at 6cc in a 9cc band - and I'm finally actually feeling some restriction! The past two days I was 'gulping' down my food - grilled pork tenderloin yeseterday, and hamburger helper today - and both times I had to stop - before I emotionally wanted to - because it was getting stuck!! Now I have to actually EAT SLOW and CHEW WELL. I had been getting away with not doing that very well, but no longer. I still can eat a lot of some foods - but the oddest things if swallowed too fast are causing me problems. Like I ate a 3 reduced fat townhouse crackers last night - and nearly PB'd them up. Eventually they went down - but I learned my lesson. Sort of - at least now when I get that sensation, I know enough to stop! I can eat juicy things - like apples - with no problem.

As uncomfortable as it is...it makes me so happy that this band is doing its job! I need firm reminders! :-)

I'll have to look up that "mindless eating' book. I find that at work during the day is the worst - I sit at my desk and just keeping thinking about what else I brought along to eat. Usually, I stick to my predetermined food allotment, but will eat it all before lunch! I know it's boredom and something to distract me from what I should be doing, but if I'm the least bit hungry, I can't think about anything else. Drinking Water doesn't help. I've found that diet hot chocolate helps for awhile, but then all too quickly that craving for a full belly comes back. I'll tell myself 'not till 30 mintues past" but 10 minutes later, I just eat whatever was "next" on my food agenda. Pathetic, eh?

How have you all conquered that???

CONGRATS! ON YOUR AWESOME WEIGHT LOSS! I eat a mozzarella stick with thin sliced FF lunch meat wrapped around it. Be sure and chew. It can get stuck. It is a 100 cal snack.< /span>

Lizalee - the author of Mindless Eating might suggest you put your lunch somewhere you can't reach it easily. Such as in a break room refrigerator, the back of a desk drawer you can lock, etc. If you have to stop and think about it, or walk somewhere to get it, you will be more likely to wait. Make it inconvenient for yourself. The idea of a string cheese wrapped in deli meat is great, too. When adding a snack, make it Protein - and this snack is only 100 calories that will fill you up for longer than anything else you can add. This was suggested by the psychologist I'm working with at the surgery center (same guy who recommended the book). Hopefully your fill will help you through this, but when it's time for another fill and you can't get in to the doctor, you'll be going through the same stuff and will need some good techniques.

Good luck!

You guys are absolutely right - my refrigerator and microwave are right in my office!!! I don't even have to get off my chair! I"ll have to think about that. I need a lock like the bank vaults have...won't open till the timer says so! I'd like to think that there is some way I can learn WILLPOWER! I guess I think it's personal failure on my part.... Thanks for the insight.

I am new to this thread and am looking forward to sharing the experience with others. I am scheduled for surgery on October 22, 2008. My countdown has begun! I am encouraged by the people who have done so well. Seeing before and after pictures keep me motivated.

Hi Lorilei,

Welcome. There are lots of interesting things I've learnt while visiting this thread. Best wishes. Katydid.

I've finally been able to convert kilos into pounds.

My pre-lapband weight on the 9th June '08 was 112kilos = 246.4lbs

As of this morning, I weigh 85 kilos = 187lbs.

That makes a total of 27kilos = 59.4lbs lost. No wonder my clothes are baggy. It hasn't been a totally fun experience but at least the results are worth it.:thumbup:

Hi to all.I am new to the 50& over gang. And ,I ,hope to be LB soon .Over the past month I have been a guest to this sight.Reading and taking notes and learing from you all.I did have my first Dr.app.Thursday,I also had blood work run,and tomorrow I am having a upper GI .The Dr.also wants me to lose 30# be fore surgery,wow I didnt see that one coming:ohmy::biggrin: I hope I dont have trouble with my insurance,Tricare does pay if I have at least 2 problems from being overweight.The Dr. claims that I have more then 2,so this should be the easy test to pass. I was told it would,or should take 2 months to get a surgery date,if all goes well.Right now my problem is how am I going to lose 30# in 2 months ??????.:thumbup:

Katydid - you are doing great! Go buy some new clothes! Do you have consignment shops and thrift stores in Western Australia? They seem to be everywhere here, and they can be a great place to shop for us as we lose weight and don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes we will not be wearing very long as we lose more weight.

I hope you will reward yourself for all your hard work. You deserve it!

I have been approved by my surgeon several weeks ago. My BMI was 40.1 and I am 5'4". I would like to loose around 100lbs. My question is what is the Psych. evaluation all about? What do they ask you? My appt. is for 2 hours, FOR WHAT!!! I am doing this band for myself and my HEALTH, what more do they want??? After this appt. I am ready for my appt. with the surgeon to set the date. He told us that it would probably be after the first of the year before he can do it.

Edited by wintobethin