Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

23_33_7.gif I have my first fill on June 9th and I will be traveling 3000 miles back east on June 18th for a few weeks. My question is,will I have enough time to adjust to the fill and not worry about traveling so soon after. Or, should I try to get an appointment earlier?

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZNfox000

After 3 months on the band, here is what I have learned (and sometimes re-learned! several times):

1. You have to diet to lose weight. Eating randomly does NOT work.

2. Going to Weight Watchers to weigh in makes me accountable and I start losing weight again. The WW structure works for me. No I didn't tell them I was banded.

3. Ice cream and chocolate go down REAL easy even If I have restriction.

4. I can't eat sugar. Period. I won't lose weight. It makes me want more sugar just like before the band (although my level of craving is less)

5. I can resist sugar better because of the band. I don't have the cravings I used to have. Thank goodness!

6. When I am not losing weight, it's because I am underestimating how many calories I am really eating. Just like before the band.

7. I don't lose weight unless I exercise. Walking for 45 minutes does it. Just like before the band.

8. Eating Medifast high Protein Bars works well for me. Eating Snickers bars does not.

9. I miss chomping into a big Red Robin hamburger sometimes. Those days are over and I grieve a bit for them. But then I look at my big jeans and feel better.

10. When I am feeling uneasy, I go look for food but going for a walk makes me feel better.

11. The band has made it easier for me to make good choices and decide to exercise instead of eating when I am feeling jicky and upset.

12. The band has saved my life but I need to do my part. There are no magic cures in this world. I am responsible for myself.

13. I bought a new "comfort bike" with my Stimulus check from the government. It is beautiful and very comfortable indeed! Electra Townie 8 in baby blue! Sadie

Great post, Sadie!! I like the "obesity fridge" with the full length mirror idea, too!!

12_5_32.gif

You know, after being banded for quite awhile now, it's pretty easy. I was a newcomer at some point too, and everything I learned, I learned from this board and very little from anywhere else. I am glad things are going better for you!

Yep!! This is the best support group there is!!

23_33_7.gif I have my first fill on June 9th and I will be traveling 3000 miles back east on June 18th for a few weeks. My question is,will I have enough time to adjust to the fill and not worry about traveling so soon after. Or, should I try to get an appointment earlier?

You should know within a few days if you're okay or too tight. My doctor's recommendation was to not travel for about 3-4 days after a fill... until you are sure you're going to be okay. So 9 days should be fine.

Are you flying after your fill? Some people say they get very tight after flying. Just be aware.

Are you flying after your fill? Some people say they get very tight after flying. Just be aware.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm flying 9days after my fill.

36_19_3.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZNfox000

Most people don't notice very much difference with the first fill. You should be just fine.

Sadie: I'm printing your post and pinning it to my bulletin board. Thanks so much. Every single thing on your list is something that has crossed my mind during this "voyage". My doctor says he can fix my stomach but not my head, lol..........

Hi everyone, I called my Dr. office today. They said it sounded like I had a little bit of a bug. It has been going around my house. My daughter has not been feeling good either. I will be going to Boise on Tuesday for my second fill.

many calories I am really eating. Just like before the band.

13. I bought a new "comfort bike" with my Stimulus check from the government. It is beautiful and very comfortable indeed! Electra Townie 8 in baby blue!

Sadie

Don't you just love your Townie! DH and I both have them, and they are definitely the best bikes I have every had. I have congenital knee problems and have had surgery on both knees, but I can ride my townie forever. I'm up to 12 miles a day; I have NEVER been good at exercise, but I love zipping around on my townie. A guy in a golf car challenged me to a race yesterday, and I left him in the dust!

SADIE thanks for the great post. It really sums up what we ll know and try to remember. You just put it all down on paper..:wink2:

I went to this site so many times before I was banded that I felt I needed to share what my experience has been so far. On the surgery day (5/22) I brought with me: pajama bottoms (to walk afterwards and not have my butt hanging out of the hospital gown), Aquaphor lip balm (my lips were pretty dry and beaten up from the intubation), Biotene for the dry mouth, and a pillow for the ride home. I got most of these suggestions from this site. Here is a picture of my incisions taken on Day 2. Well, I don't seem to be able to insert the picture. It looks worse than it feels. I didn't need the pain meds after 4 days. And, after five days started to feel alot better. I HATE the liquid diet and have been trying some mashed potatoes and Soup when the milky/sweet taste of the protien drinks are just too much. My port site is still a little swollen and I keep putting cold packs on it. I have been walking twice a day lately. I had terrible shoulder pain for a couple of days (Day 3-5) from the surgery O2 that they put in you. That has gone away. Thankfully. If anyone knows how to put in pictures let me know and I will put in my incision pixs.

I went in for my last fill 3 weeks ago. I"m at 8.4 now in my VG band. I am losing, but its SUPER slow and I'm getting so discouraged by it. I knew it would be a slow process but this is ridiculous! :wink2:

I need something to kick it into geer and start losing faster. Does anyone know of something that will do this for me? At my last fill the Doc was afraid that I would be too tight and didn't want to fill me, but he did because I hadn't had a fill in 6 months. He wants me back in a month to make sure my pouch isn't stretching. Well if it is I wouldn't feel it. I have no restriction. I have been very good, eating just a couple bites at each meal.

On a different note, if you ever have the opportunity to have your fills with flora, go for it. It is so cool to see your pouch, port, etc.

I have been walking 2 miles, 3 times a week sometimes more. I am happy with the weight I am at, but would LOVE to lose more and especially would love to get into ONEderland! Sooooo close!

Aw shucks ladies- thanks for all the kind words. It weren't nothin'

And yes I love my Townie 8 - now I am working on being able to ride to the Reservior and back - 6 miles with a bunch of small hills - I have NO bike muscles at all! I did when I was 8 years old but not now - 50 years later! I get jelly legs after 1/2 hour!

BTW I just got a Wii Fit Board- they are terrific and fun. A good indoor workout. Wii are great - the exercises are not too hard but good for you - I like the yoga and running. I really worked up a sweat.

And yes I love video games too- I am trying to remain perpetually immature!

Sadie