Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Congrats!! I had the band and hernia repairs last June (it will be one year on Friday) my blood tests are all normal, I am off b/p meds and down 125 lbs. Only thing is my knee is still not good, but better.

Welcome! My big worry is my knee too, I am also bone on bone. Granted I was taking 8 to 10 Ibuprofen a day before surgery and had to give that up after. I find I don't need it so much anymore but the knee still hurts. Most of the time it is bearable, however I just got home from vacation and lots of walking and it was bad. I guess all the years of carrying all that weight have done their damage. I may be looking at knee replacement in the future, that is the only thing the dr. said would help as I was too far gone. BUt just don't want another surgery right now. Scary thing is, he said the right knee was 75% of the way of the left. So I have thoughts if I do the replacement of doing both at the same time.

I can relate to the knee problems. Left one is bone on bone and needs replacement. Right has partial replacement, but ortho doc says it needs to be converted to total. Last summer he thought it was urgent, but when I went back to see him a month or so ago, it hadn't gotten any worse, so he's backed off on that one a little. I carry a lot of weight in my legs, and that is a problem. He says it increases the risk of infection. So, I'm going to have to make a decison as to whether or not to go ahead with the left because we leave in the fall for the winter. So if I'm going to get it done, it can't be too late in the summer.

Congrats!! I had the band and hernia repairs last June (it will be one year on Friday) my blood tests are all normal, I am off b/p meds and down 125 lbs. Only thing is my knee is still not good, but better.

Welcome! My big worry is my knee too, I am also bone on bone. Granted I was taking 8 to 10 Ibuprofen a day before surgery and had to give that up after. I find I don't need it so much anymore but the knee still hurts. Most of the time it is bearable, however I just got home from vacation and lots of walking and it was bad. I guess all the years of carrying all that weight have done their damage. I may be looking at knee replacement in the future, that is the only thing the dr. said would help as I was too far gone. BUt just don't want another surgery right now. Scary thing is, he said the right knee was 75% of the way of the left. So I have thoughts if I do the replacement of doing both at the same time.

I can relate to the knee problems. Left one is bone on bone and needs replacement. Right has partial replacement, but ortho doc says it needs to be converted to total. Last summer he thought it was urgent, but when I went back to see him a month or so ago, it hadn't gotten any worse, so he's backed off on that one a little. I carry a lot of weight in my legs, and that is a problem. He says it increases the risk of infection. So, I'm going to have to make a decision as to whether or not to go ahead with the left because we leave in the fall for the winter. So if I'm going to get it done, it can't be too late in the summer.

I saw Dr. Tran again today and got 1 cc. added. He expects me to be pretty tight, told me to do liquids for three days and even longer if I think I need to, and to come in tomorrow afternoon if I think I am too tight. So far all of the liquids are going down just fine, just a little slower, and I'm optimistically thinking that this may be the one. I promised Dr. Tran I would be careful, and I will. I know what is at stake.

DH is still job hunting. We are still going through our 32 years of stuff and donating/tossing/ reorganizing/boxing in case of a move. I'm really ready for this to be over.

And I am ready to start losing the weight ai put on this last six weeks and make some real progress for a change. I am viewing my bandiversary with dismay. I had hoped for and expected so much more in the first year. Oh, well. We deal with where we are and move onward.

Orea, you are doing great cosidering the stress and illness you have been through. Just take it one day at a time. How are the interviews going?

Well, DH went to the hospital for the pre-op tests. We talked to Dr. Garth. He said there may not be new Big Medicine episodes. He said the network was satisfied with the 26 rerunning. I asked his PA just how many calories am I suppose to eat. He said 800c. He said I should eat 1/2 cup six times a day. Now, that is when my restriction is at the sweet spot. I told him I am eating 1200 a day or more and more than a half a cup. He said I would get there. So, I go next week for a fill. I hate Protein Shakes, but it is for support. It will help me get back on track.

It's like a roller coaster. Hope arise, hopes get dashed as no one calls back. Some good things happened today. I told DH he has to keep dancing with all of these people, because if he doesn't no one will propose!

Orea - lots of hugs to you and to your hubby. It is such a tough time for you two. Stay busy and connected - and yes - he does have to keep dancing. Unfortunately that is the only game around and you sure want that proposal. I pray it will be a good one and come along quickly.

Oreo - thinking of you and your DH. Good things are in your future. But think of the memories you have as you clean things out. After so many years in one place it is amazing what you find and remember. Even when I moved I thought I had gone trough everything, but when I was getting settled in my new place realized there was more to remember. Thinking of you and only good thoughts

Yes, I am enjoying the memories, but it makes me miss my kids. I'm clearing out things from my daughter's old craft projects: an instruction sheet for making pompom unicorns and dragons, for example, and some googly eyes.

In some ways, it is also the opposite. For example, I found two plastic squeaky pickles that I swear I've never seen before in my life!

The same thing happened to me last night eating salmon. I love salmon and I have trouble every time I eat it! I don't have trouble when I eat the salmon in a can though....I have to sacrifice taste and visually here but I know I'm getting the super stuff it has in it in the can too.

Someone else said that stress makes the band tighter this was good to hear because I couldn't quit understand why I couldn't eat very much at dinner....but that is when my husband is home from the big city with a big frown...and stress is high. I usually ovoid eating with them now because I just get stuck all the time. Especially eating chicken, Broccoli and fish. that's really our maintain. If I eat in a few hours after they do and I am relaxed I can do it ....I am super careful with chewing though. Broiled broccholli NEVER! or tried fish by the way. It seems like a pain but its a small price to pay for being able to fit into my clothes again and feel free of obesity and it's associated illlnesses!

Correction typo: I must avoid Dry chicken ...organic seems to be softer. I also like to throw in broccholli during the last few minutes and I can not eat broccolli from the oven ....maybe microwaved but carefully! Halibut is better than salmon but all fish are tricky.

I accidentally clicked on the unsubscribe link. Now I can't find where to resub! Help! LOL

oreal, at the top little bar, under Thread Tools, you should be able to subscribe again.

Trisha

lotsabirds, if you click on it it will take you to the site and I think once there, do a search for dance or dancing. and then I think it's added to your signature but then at first it wasn't moving. So it took a few tries and pasting it to the right area.

Trisha