Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in quite some time. I spent a while reading and catching up with everyone's posts. Good to see we have some new bandsters and future bandsters.

Welcome to all the newbies. I have been having a rough time sticking to my food plan. I haven't been to my doctor since November and am beginning to think I may need to go in for a fill. I am having problems with pbing after I eat. I think I am eating far too fast. Then there are times that I am not hungry at all and skip meals. I am not losing any weight and have come to realize that I will have to do some exercise if I want to start the ball rolling again. Does anyone know about the zumba exercise program? I watched it on U-Tube and it looks like fun. It's dancing to fast paced music. I plan to go to the gym here and check it out. They have a big banner advertising it.

I had an MRI on my right shoulder yesterday. I didn't think I was claustrophic, but have since decided I was. Don't know the results yet. I have had problems with my shoulder for quite a while. Then, I was walking my son's 95 lb. American Bulldog. When he gets ready to take off, you better be ready to go too. He jerked the leash and I felt something pop in my bad shoulder. I kept thinking after a while it would feel better, but it is now bothering me a lot. I hope it doesn't mean surgery. Maybe physical therapy will help.

Feels good to be writing and touching base with everyone again.

Love, MiMI(Theresa):grouphug:

LOVE zumba--cardio workout dancing to Latin music. I do it 2-3 times a week. I also do weights 3x a week--good for muscle and burning calories--not to mention that I feel strong.

Of course, have to give it all up for a month--recuperating from PS done 2 days ago.

Hi JB---

Thanks for the reply. Do you go to a gym or do you have DVDs? I had never even heard what it was about until this week. Just sounds like something I would like. I am taking a little trip to Louisiana with several girlfriends, but I plan to check on the exercise at the gym ASAP when I get home.

Good to hear that your surgery was a success and you are on the mend. I think I will need a whole body lift if I ever lose all my weight.

MiMi:tongue2:

Hi Mimi, glad to see you posting. If I had not had this board and support from everyone here, I dont know that I'd be as successful as I have been. Stay on the board and go get a fill. You deserve it.

Hope things go well with your shoulder, I hope you don't have a rotator cuff injury, they can be hard to get healed.

Mimi--40 lbs lost for you! You're on your way. The exercise will make a difference.

I am fortunate that I am retired (teaching) and live in an active adult (55+) community. There are so many exercise classes--water, weight lifting, zumba,circuit, flexibility,yoga, tai chi,,,there's even a class called "Bums and Tums." Once you make it a priority, you will grow to love the feeling of being strong and you will miss it if you skip it! The hardest part is---GETTING STARTED!!

My arms are still wrapped in bandages, but I will remove them today (the bandages, not the arms!) I will also remove the bandages around my breasts. (Hey, I was already under anesthesia so I had a breast lift--I am so GOOD to me! hahaha)

Have fun in Louisiana. Are you going to New Orleans? FUNFUNFUN town!

Judy

Susan---I really think my pain is due from the rotater cuff. I can only move my arm in certain ways. No matter what the reason is for the pain, I have to find out and get it fixed. Seems that when I turned 50, I just started falling apart. Hopefully with the exercise(Zumba) or whatever I have to do, I will get healthier, stronger, and feel better about myself. Thanks for responding to my post.:lol:

Judy---I bet you feel a 110% better if you have taken those bandages off. I am so happy for you. People will not even recognize who you are. What fun! I know you are eager to get back to Zumba and all the other exercises. I may look into Water aerobics,too. Texas gets really HOT during the Summer and I would welcome the water. Has anyone heard from Joanne? I'm not sure how long she was going to be gone. Talk to you all soon---- :scared2:

Susan---I really think my pain is due from the rotater cuff. I can only move my arm in certain ways. No matter what the reason is for the pain, I have to find out and get it fixed. Seems that when I turned 50, I just started falling apart. Hopefully with the exercise(Zumba) or whatever I have to do, I will get healthier, stronger, and feel better about myself. Thanks for responding to my post.:lol:

Judy---I bet you feel a 110% better if you have taken those bandages off. I am so happy for you. People will not even recognize who you are. What fun! I know you are eager to get back to Zumba and all the other exercises. I may look into Water aerobics,too. Texas gets really HOT during the Summer and I would welcome the water. Has anyone heard from Joanne? I'm not sure how long she was going to be gone. Talk to you all soon---- :scared2:

rotator cuff, injury.... just found out that is what I have....waiting to see if the cortisone shot works to give me some relief and let it heal on it's own. I keep hearing the recovery from surgey is very painful

Hello! I too have a sore shoulder with limited range of motion. I have an appointment with the ortho doc next week before my lap band surgery on 5/26/09. I don't recall injuring myself so it may just be bursitis.

I am currently on the pre-op diet. 800 cal a day. You have all been through this so I can too!! It is nice to know that there are those your age who can still lose wieght.

I enjoyed reading your posts. You are a great group

Elaine

Hi all! I've been back from Korea since May 8. I had several days of weird sleep patterns from jet lag, but that seems to be winding down now, thank goodness. Wide awake at 2:30a.m. - full of energy and ready to go! Crashing at about noon and done for the day. It was not a lot of fun. The trip was good - really enjoyed being with DD and her family. Baby Josiah Charles was born on April 13th, and between him and the two year old we were all kept busy for the next month. I am not worried about DD - but she will definitely have her hands full. Her husband is on paternity leave for several more days and then back to work for him - she will be on her own. We've all been there and we survived - she will too, and she will do very well.

I lost about 4 pounds overall during my month-long visit, and have been stuck there since returning. Back to the exercise bike since I'm home, and back to a better eating routine - but the weight loss has not started up again. I think I may need a slight fill and will call the surgeon today to schedule one.

Mimi - it's good to have you back! I hope your shoulder problem will be easily fixed. I'm with you on the MRI. I have only had those tests on my knees with the machinery no where near my face, but still felt claustrophobic! The zumba class does look like a lot of fun - but probably a bit more dependent on better knees than I have right now. Go for it! The exercise will help to jump-start your weight loss again, and help to make you more aware of eating according to plan. It is really good to hear from you.

Best to all...

I'm low on Fluid still after my post appendectomy unfill and partial refill. I've gained weight from that and the stress of DH's layoff, and am anxious to take it back off and start making progress again.

Finally we have something hopeful on the job front. DH is talking to a prospective employer about a job that would involve moving across the country.

We have been in this house 32 years so you can imagine the amount of stuff that needs to be dealt with if we do move. On the bright side, this would finally get my husband to part with his 8 feet of vinyl record albums! (Can you say packrat?) And it would bring us closer to our daughter and my sister.

He has a screening call from them tomorrow that should tell us a lot about if this is at all going to work for us. Any interest in him is heartening. It's been two months now he has been out of work. I wasn't an emotional eater until this. Visions of having to sell our house and what to do about the kitties have been haunting me. Then the unemployment checks didn't arrive, and that was scary because we were counting on them in our budget. Finally something was deposited yesterday! So I guess we won't have to ask our daughter for a loan.

DS is finished with school, his second Bachelor's, and is about to move in with his GF and hopefully start a good job, as long as his clearance goes through. And there is no reason why it shouldn't. DH will be helping him move this weekend.

I'm enjoying "kitchen sink" salads now that it is warm. I throw all kinds of chopped veggies and Proteins in, never quite the same twice. :-)

Cross your fingers!

LOVE zumba--cardio workout dancing to Latin music. I do it 2-3 times a week. I also do weights 3x a week--good for muscle and burning calories--not to mention that I feel strong.

Of course, have to give it all up for a month--recuperating from PS done 2 days ago.

What did you have done.........your arms?

Orea - I had not heard about your hubby's layoff. You have been walking around under that cloud for a long time. It is awful - voice of experience here. We have been through it more than once and memories of those days still bring chills. A move would not be fun to do, but it would bring you closer to some family members and new experiences can be fun and exciting. It's all in the attitude and I know you have a great attitude! You and hubby are in my prayers.

I go to the gym. I hated curves. I hated the music they played and I hated using the same machines over and over in a circle.

I love they gym. My gym has all the cardio machines hooked up to the tvs so I can watch tv while I work out. I also really enjoy the classes they have.

I did join a gym and had my first session today. Got shown all the machines and this 'jump start program'. It was fine while i did it but my legs hurt in spots i forgot i had. But I can't wait till I go again. I did feel I would get tired of the same old circle of machines over and over again. I am ready for some results!!!!!. I guess you can tell I'm very impatient. It's all good. Power to us all.:unsure:

Orea...sorry to hear of your troubles. Hang in there, girl!

Oregon...How are you doing? How's the hunger issues? Congrats on the 10lbs lost. You just have to feel so much better after what you have been through. Just thinking about you and wanted to check.

Hey, JoAnne....you will get back into the "food" routine and hopefully see a loss soon. It's tough when that routine gets interupted.

Hope everyone has a great evening. I'm not around much. 2 days at home and 5 at the lake from end of April till end of Oct. No wireless up there yet. Hopefully this summer so I can stay caught up with everyone.

I am doing very well. I am under a lot of stress right now due to my dad falling down and fracturing his pelvis. He is 90. I am going to Arizona again next week and I am going to try to bring him back to Oregon with me.

I am still on the post op diet and seem to have a lot of gas from milk products. I think I need to take Lactaid.

Thanks for asking!

Wishing you the best Orea. Being out of work is hard. My son is off work right now with a new baby on the way in the middle of July.