Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I'm not Apples but the lap band surgery corrected mine, that and while doing the band he fixed a hiatal hernia I didn't know I had.

Hi Long2bThin,

I've been told that the band is causing my severe reflux and wind (burping) because it has slipped right to the bottom of the stomach. As for the hiatal hernia, the new surgeon said that it should've been picked up a long time ago and fixed but now it's too risky as the liver has to be lifted up to be able to get to it and there are too many adhesions. I didn't know I had the hiatal hernia either. I knew about the abdominal one but not the other.

Best wishes.

Are you girls tired of looking at my butt? I guess I should change the picture, what ya think?

Yeah, enough with the butt picture!!

It IS impressive, though!

36_11_2.gif

Must have sent the friend request to the wrong Susan Powell. Didn't find one with a boxer picture, but 437 Susan Powells so I didn't look at all of them. Look for me instead.. Phyllis Hand.

Okay, I found a Susan Powell with a boxer picture.

36_22_14.gif

Hi Apples2,

What surgery corrected the acid reflux?

Best wishes.

I had a huge hiatel hernia and surgeon corrected it when he did the lap band.

I dont know if my last fill was like apples or not. The fill doctor insisted it was maybe too tight, but it didnt seem so tight. I had it the last saturday of nov, and then on my cruise the last week of January, suddenly I had trouble eating everything and BAD reflux all week. I started to have a ice cream cone every time my stomach got acid reflux going, so its not surprising I put on 5 lbs. It took me 3 or 4 weeks after the cruise of taking prilosec daily and pepcid complete or max chewables and gas X strips, everything before the reflux finally got better. Even the week after food was coming back up in my throat at night it was that bad. Scared the heck out of me.

I dont think I want to have another fill anytime soon.

Flowers...as I stated above...I have not had acid reflux since being banded. I really worry when I read a story like yours about having weeks of misery. Cannot be good for you. At least your problems subsided. I guess if they come back, I would go to the doc for a slight unfill.

Heading to see GP today. Just dreading it but know I need to take care of this problem I have with kidney stones. I had them lasered about 10 years ago and have a feeling that I will need to do that again. When they did it last time I did not have stones for two years. Was a nice reprieve. Need to see GP so that I can get a referral. I am sure I will need to notify my LB surgeon if I need to have this procedure done. Anyway, dreading the thought of going through this again and having a sore back for a could of years but better than the stones. I have had three bouts in a five week period of time. Very taxing on the body and takes many days to feel right again after passing.

Wishing everyone a Happy Hump Day!!!

Flowers...as I stated above...I have not had acid reflux since being banded. I really worry when I read a story like yours about having weeks of misery. Cannot be good for you. At least your problems subsided. I guess if they come back, I would go to the doc for a slight unfill.!

It worried me too. I dont know if you are right or wrong saying if someone has reflux for a continued time they need a unfill. My complaint all along has been the LACK of restriction. I can eat any amount and any foods without even knowing I have a lapband, with the exception of fruit. The fruit or a salad could have been what set off the round of reflux too.

Iv lost 20 lbs since my last fill, and it had been over 2 months since my 3rd fill until I had that one episode. The reflux scared me too. As I have heard the lapband itself caused it and some had to get their bands removed completely. The lady who lead my seminar was one of them, she had her lapband removed after she lost all her weight and the reflux set in.

Im going to be more carefull of fruit from now on.

The purpose of the band is not restriction. It is not supposed to force you to eat less. It is supposed to dim your appetite. You are responsible for choosing good foods and stopping at the appropriate amount. (Which I am still working on!)

Restriction or no, reflux and regurgitating, and even a need to clear your throat a lot, are classic signs of being too tight, and left uncorrected can lead to a slip.

I guess Im not convinced Im too tight. Luckily it was just that one episode and I was on a cruise and didnt take anything for it except ice cream for a week and gained 5 lbs.

I did all my fills under fluro and barium swallow tests with a fill doctor who refuses to make you so tight you cant easily eat.

I think if it was as easy as being too tight, it wouldnt have taken 2 months for that episode. Havent had reflux any other time since I was banded last July 9th, right before you.

.... If you can cure the reflux by just taking out fill, then why do so many people have their bands removed because of reflux is the question Id like to know. There has to be more to reflux and its connection to the lapband, than the simple "you must be too tight". No one has answered why my seminar leader had her band removed AFTER she lost her weight and got reflux which couldnt be stopped. Surely they tried removing fill if thats all there is to this rather than the more dramatic removing her band totally.

Edited by flowers

I have a question for everyone that is at their Sweet spot. How many hrs are you satisfied after a meal? Today I had a Slim Fast at my desk for Breakfast. My lunch is at 11, I had a Smart One frozen dinner. I was starving by 1:15. After what happened to me last Saturday I thought maybe I was at my Sweet Spot, but now I don't think so. I go for my 7th fill March 10th.

I have a question for everyone that is at their Sweet spot. How many hrs are you satisfied after a meal? Today I had a Slim Fast at my desk for breakfast. My lunch is at 11, I had a Smart One frozen dinner. I was starving by 1:15. After what happened to me last Saturday I thought maybe I was at my Sweet Spot, but now I don't think so. I go for my 7th fill March 10th.

It really is difficult to tell right away, PJ. And, what I notice is that even though I know I am at my sweet spot, I still have days where I am very hungry. I might have two weeks level and then a day pops up where I could eat anything (but I don't).

I eat cooked steel cut oats with raisins or high Fiber Cereal for breakfast. That will take me about three hours. About 10am I will have some kind of snack (jerky, Protein Bar, soy nuts), lunch is usually 3-4 oz of Protein and veggies. Another snack in the afternoon about 3pm and dinner is about the same as lunch. You have to realize that I am on maintenance so I am getting more cals in right now. But even during the weight loss phase I was hungry about every three hours. Hope that helps

It really is difficult to tell right away, PJ. And, what I notice is that even though I know I am at my sweet spot, I still have days where I am very hungry. I might have two weeks level and then a day pops up where I could eat anything (but I don't).

I eat cooked steel cut oats with raisins or high fiber cereal for breakfast. That will take me about three hours. About 10am I will have some kind of snack (jerky, Protein bar, soy nuts), lunch is usually 3-4 oz of protein and veggies. Another snack in the afternoon about 3pm and dinner is about the same as lunch. You have to realize that I am on maintenance so I am getting more cals in right now. But even during the weight loss phase I was hungry about every three hours. Hope that helps

I was wondering about that, I think I am pretty near my spot, but I am hungry every 3 hours also. I found these 30 calorie laughing cow cheese and that helps me. But I do have 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day even though my surgeon would not like me to have but 3 meals. :thumbup:

Banded 9/29/2008

Lost 55 lbs.

It really depends on what you eat. If you're eating hard Protein, you can stay full longer. Anything that is mushy is going to go right through the band into the bottom of the stomach and you won't feel full as long.

When I was too tight, I didn't even know it. I never had any problems in the daytime. I could eat any food including fruit with skins. It was just that throwing up in my sleep that caused me to be tested and found out I was too tight. I was surprised because I never got food stuck or pbed in the day time. Now I am going to get another fill on Monday and I am really afraid it's going to come back. Right now though, I feel like I have no band at all. We are going to try to get a fill that is not as much as I had when I had that problem. I hope that little bit takes care of my hunger and wanting to eat all the time.

Reflux - I had severe reflux before surfery, but nothing since. I did have a very large hiatel hernia repaired at time of surgery and that is what made a big difference in not having reflux.

I think I may be at or near my sweet spot. definitely limited to about 3oz of hard Protein if that much. Eating 3 meals and a few Snacks is my routine. but I do know if you don't eat hard protein you will be hungry sooner and want more..and that is a killer on your calorie count too

I was eating around mt band with softer fooeds and gained weight, so am trying to be super aware of what I eat