Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Katydid - a frozen coke?? Is that really what I think it is? How is that sold? glass? bottle? cone? It sounds very different.

Hi Dixiedoo

Frozen cokes are made with crushed ice and coke. Absolutely divine. Full of sugar of course but I have such trouble getting anything to stay down or keep from blocking that the coldness is really wellcoming. Plus it is in the 35 degrees over here now.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question. It is sold at McDaonalds in Regular or Large sized cups like shakes. Yummmmy.

Best wishes.

Edited by Katydid

We have had a tough week at our house. Since early in the week, our little Abbie has been getting worse, suffering from the cancer that was discovered last month. We had hoped the disease would slow a bit, but Dr. Gary thought it had begun to attack her bones. She was obviously in pain, could not eat - in all she was a very sick little dog. We took her to see Dr. Gary yesterday and the news was so bad - we decided to let her go. I have been taking this really hard. We have been a sheltie family for many years (Abbie was our 4th sheltie) - they have raised our kids, played with our grandkids, been our loving companions and friends - and at this point the only kids left at home. It is very hard to lose this precious little friend. We do have Jack - 5th sheltie - who is now 2yrs old, and has been searching the house all day for his little buddy.

I am attaching a picture of Abbie taken two years ago. Its one of my favorites.

Hi JoannMarie,

I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets are our close family and give us unconditional love at all times. I really feel for you.

Take care.

I loved the frozen cokes when in Australia. Yes, carbonated. We have been over there a few times and was able to stay for a month at a time. I know I gained each time I was there and I attribute some of the gain to the frozen cokes. Had a couple a day. OMG...so good.

Katydid....STEP BACK AWAY FROM THE FROZEN COKES!!!!! LOL

Hi Apples2,

I am so surprised that you don't have frozen cokes over there. I assumed that is where they originated being McDonalds.

Yes, I know I have to slow down on them but they're only treats when it is really hot and I'm out and about in the car.

Oddly enough I don't get as much burping with them as I do with any other cool drink. Sometimes I even have trouble getting Water down would you believe!!

See ya.

JoAnne - so sorry about your precious Abbee. It is so tough to lose a dear friend and family member, Dogs are our best friends and family on 4 legs. You will at least know she is at peace and not suffering. You have your Jack and he will be a comfort to you.

Janet - Thanks for the kudos. I am feeling somuch better after yesterday's court hearing with my daughter and grandson. Still exhausted from not sleeping, but will catch up this weekend, I hope..

I DO need to get a pic. post my before and after. Maybe I'll get myself some professional photos done as gifts for family...

We have had a tough week at our house. Since early in the week, our little Abbie has been getting worse, suffering from the cancer that was discovered last month. We had hoped the disease would slow a bit, but Dr. Gary thought it had begun to attack her bones. She was obviously in pain, could not eat - in all she was a very sick little dog. We took her to see Dr. Gary yesterday and the news was so bad - we decided to let her go. I have been taking this really hard. We have been a sheltie family for many years (Abbie was our 4th sheltie) - they have raised our kids, played with our grandkids, been our loving companions and friends - and at this point the only kids left at home. It is very hard to lose this precious little friend. We do have Jack - 5th sheltie - who is now 2yrs old, and has been searching the house all day for his little buddy.

Joann, my sincere condolences to you and your family. I lost my two best kitties, sisters, six years ago, within 3 1/2 weeks of each other, one at Thanksgiving, the other right before Christmas. We still get teary even speaking about them, they were so special. :biggrin: We love and appreciate each and every one of the eight cats we have now, but there was something bout those two girls...we were honored to be chosen by the Universe to be their family.

At the time the first one, Kismet, died, my vet told me that for many people, the pain of losing a beloved pet is worse than losing a a human family member. Perhaps because we can safely be more of ourselves with our animal companions?

Anyhow, I'm sorry. {{{hugs}}} All we can do is cherish the memories and be grateful for the love and good times we shared.

I am very new here, have my first doctor appointment on Monday. What the heck is pb, it can't be good! Being over 50, I know we lose slower but what exactly can I expect? How much slower? I need to see some results or I am afraid I will be very depressed. Thank you for sharing, I have learned so much on this site.

Joann - HUGS:girl_hug: HUGS:girl_hug: HUGS:girl_hug: - I am so very very sorry for your loss - OMW - Know I am sending Love & Hugs to you ;):biggrin: Janet

I am very new here, have my first doctor appointment on Monday. What the heck is pb, it can't be good! Being over 50, I know we lose slower but what exactly can I expect? How much slower? I need to see some results or I am afraid I will be very depressed. Thank you for sharing, I have learned so much on this site.

Welcome Blklab70 -

PB - productive burp - burp w/food in it - a little like throw up but without the acid - food will get stuck - you will slime (body producing saliva) to get stuck food down - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and you bp.

This is why it's important to follow the banding rules - tiny bites - chew very well and eat slowly - if you do these things your chances of bping are very low.

I was 52 when banded - I lost 100 lbs in 1 yr - so I can't say that being over 50 was a negative. But that being said - I lost the weight cuz I made a lifestyle change in my eating and exercise.

The band is only a tool - nothing else - it's not the magical answer to our issues with food - That (the magical answer) is in our heads.

How fast or slow that you will lose the weight will depend on many factors - your metabolism and the effort that you put in to changing your eating and exercise..

Once you have proper restriction (sweet spot) it makes you feel full on a smaller amount of food - for me 1 cup - but again the band doesn't make your food choices for you - as you can eat around it - slider foods as we call them - ice cream - candy etc slide right thru - and you feel no restriction when eating these types of food.

The band makes the hard job of losing weight a little easier - but it's still work - My fav saying is that I did 75% of the work by changing my eating habits (low fat - sugar free (for the most part) and some starched but not alot) and exercising and the band did 25% by providing restriction.

Again welcome and good luck on your journey...

Thank you so much. That really helped me a lot. I know I can lose the weight and I needed someone who has been there to give me that extra push. I hope I can do the same for someone someday. I look forward to the journey and the new life style. I have so much to learn and am so willing to learn. Everyone has been so great!

Joann - I am so sorry. I know this is hard for you. Our pets are our lives and loosing them is just so terrible. Abbie was a beautiful dog.

JoAnne, I too am so sorry for your loss. We are a lab family but we once owned a Sheltie and he was a wonderful member of our home. You will be in our hearts and prayers. Since we have no children at home it is true that these are our babies.

JoAnne, I too am so sorry for your loss. We are a lab family but we once owned a Sheltie and he was a wonderful member of our home. You will be in our hearts and prayers. Since we have no children at home it is true that these are our babies.

Welcome BlkLab. I have 2 black lab mixes one is 1/2 lab and 1/2 viszla and the other 1/2 lab and half Australian Shepherd. The lab/sheperd mix has a white chest and markings on her feet. Both great dogs.

As to losing weight over 50, sometimes I think that is a good thing. While I mean no disrespect to our younger banded friends on here, being 50 we seem to be doing this for different reasons. Health plays a much bigger role in our decision, also we for the most part have suffered being overweight for many more years, and we have the 'wisdom and maturity' of our extra years on us that tends to help us make better decisions and stick to our new way of life easier. It seems we tend to make this more about a lifestyle change than a 'diet'. While we may lose slower, some might say, though there are a lot of big losers on the 50's board, we do still get to the same end result and seem to do better in consistency. Again I mean no disrespect to younger folks, they got their age, metabolisms, etc. going for them and are very successful to, we just seem to compensate for it in other ways. I hope I am making sense and not rambling. BTW, I am down 91 lbs and was banded just this past June, it can be done, never did I think I'd be here at this weight by Christmas.

That is super news and I really need lots of positive! I feel so much better and I know this will be a huge change for the better for me. It was not that many years ago I could get on the floor and play with my grandsons. Now it is a chore to get down on the floor and a much less pretty site of me getting up! So with a new grandaugher on the way I said I had just had enough of this fat. It was in my way and I needed to do something about it for good. I lost 85 pounds when I was very ill with a gall bladder infection and surgery. So I can lose, it just happened that I let myself get back up after two years and I gained nearly all of it back. BTW I was just given an 8 month old lab puppy from my husband. He is our third lab and what a great addition to our home. He is from Golden Gate Labrador Retriever Rescue. He was de-barked and then given up to a shelter in Bakersfield CA. He was rescued and brought to Carmel where we got him. What a joy he is and I am very lucky he is mine! So for anyone looking for a new member of your home, check out the rescues!

As to losing weight over 50, sometimes I think that is a good thing. While I mean no disrespect to our younger banded friends on here, being 50 we seem to be doing this for different reasons. Health plays a much bigger role in our decision, also we for the most part have suffered being overweight for many more years, and we have the 'wisdom and maturity' of our extra years on us that tends to help us make better decisions and stick to our new way of life easier.

It seems we tend to make this more about a lifestyle change than a 'diet'. While we may lose slower, some might say, though there are a lot of big losers on the 50's board, we do still get to the same end result and seem to do better in consistency.

Again I mean no disrespect to younger folks, they got their age, metabolisms, etc. going for them and are very successful to, we just seem to compensate for it in other ways. I hope I am making sense and not rambling.

BTW, I am down 91 lbs and was banded just this past June, it can be done, never did I think I'd be here at this weight by Christmas.

Lori - Well said GF - couldn't agree with you more - It's really about the health aspect for us - the looks is icing on the cake... And yes most of us 50+ are a whole lot smarter than the younger ones - as the saying goes - Youth is wasted on the Young...

Flowers - I would wait and shop til April or 1st of May for your cruise in June - I found that like every 6 weeks I was going down a size - I am going on a cruise in March - I will need a few things cuz last summer I was a 6 - now a 4 but I won't go shopping till Feb or 1st of March

Orea

How can a frozen drink have carbonations - Was it sugar free :biggrin::lol:

I have a large credit on ebay that I want to spend for fancy dresses on the QM2, over $300 sitting out there and since it has to be shipped, I dont want to wait too long is why Im nervous of waiting until the last minute. The large credit is because when they charged me for my lapband in pesos, they overcharged me when it went thru in dollars by quite a lot. I went to Mexico and the company paid me back via paypal.

Right now the weight is still coming off faster than Im dropping sizes. I tried on a size 18 jumper just today and it barely zips.