Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Lynn - Hugs 1st and foremost for your struggles...

Plan - have sf chocolate in the house - the sf dark choc puddings are good - the healthy choice or ww sf fudgecicles are good. These are choc - but I had some sf Wethers (sp) little toffee had candies in my purse. This way you can feed it without going over boards. Other than that - go clean out a sock drawwer - your make up - get on the computer - go for a walk - read a self help book.. Distractions..

Also,

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks Janet, All words of encouragement are welcomed and needed :)

A tough situation for all here now for this family issue.

I try to keep SF goodies around, but even having them around I will go overboard., and I know it is my own self-control....

Being that I am watching my grandson lots of the time when not in work I have little free time to do those things for me that I so need to take time for and that is so frustrating. :lol: I know more is ahead for all of us on this issue and am trying to do my best to keep hold of myself during it all.

Thanks Janet, All words of encouragement are welcomed and needed :)

A tough situation for all here now for this family issue.

I try to keep SF goodies around, but even having them around I will go overboard., and I know it is my own self-control....

Being that I am watching my grandson lots of the time when not in work I have little free time to do those things for me that I so need to take time for and that is so frustrating. :lol: I know more is ahead for all of us on this issue and am trying to do my best to keep hold of myself during it all.

Lynn

The way I look at it is that I can have 10 sf pudding instead of 1 piece of cake - to me I am still a volume eater - and I would rather have 10 of something than 1 of something else..

I don't feel as bad when I over do it on sf lf stuff as when I do real stuff - and if you over do it with the real stuff heck you can really blow it calorie wise..

So don't sweat the small stuff - eating too many sf things - they aren't doing half the damage the real stuff would be doing on your body..

I know that when my DS & Xdil broke up and had issues with custody of my GS I had the same heartaches - but the judge gave them joint custody - and look I ended up with him anyway - (Had him with me from birth till about 4 then on and off from 4 to 8 - and now I have had him since he was 11 (17 now). It will workout in the end - I know that's hard to accept now - but unless the Dad is a stellar individual with no ghost in his closets - it should be ok for your daughter - heck - the courts do want to see kids with their Mom 1st - I know that they only give to Dads if Mom has some major issues..

Hugs - It really will work out - give it time - it usually always does..

Hi 50+ers:

Just a note to say bye for awhile. We are moving today, and I won't have internet access for a while. Don't know when, as the wireless guy I had out to the farm yesterday couldn't get a signal at all... This is pretty rural where we are going, and some glacial hilss are blocking all nearby towers. No DSL or anyting like that available at the moment.

Anyhow...I will miss my daily support reading your posts! I need that to keep me focused on my goals. Your wisdom, advice, and support have been invaluable!

Hopefully, I'll be back soon...but if we have to have dial up....well, that will be tedious! I've been spoiled with city life and it's conveniences...like high speed cable internet!

Hope you all enjoy the holidays and make it though this trying food tempation period!

Hi 50+ers:

Just a note to say bye for awhile. We are moving today, and I won't have internet access for a while. Don't know when, as the wireless guy I had out to the farm yesterday couldn't get a signal at all... This is pretty rural where we are going, and some glacial hilss are blocking all nearby towers. No DSL or anyting like that available at the moment.

Anyhow...I will miss my daily support reading your posts! I need that to keep me focused on my goals. Your wisdom, advice, and support have been invaluable!

Hopefully, I'll be back soon...but if we have to have dial up....well, that will be tedious! I've been spoiled with city life and it's conveniences...like high speed cable internet!

Hope you all enjoy the holidays and make it though this trying food tempation period!

Enjoy the move and hope all goes smoothly. look ofrward to seeing you back soon!!!!

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference

AMEN! I need to say it several times a day. Thanks for the reminder.

Lizalee, Hope you get internet worked out soon and are back online soon. I can't imagine going too long w/o the support here.

Well the first week of the new job went well. It's a little slow and boring and I gotta get used to these early hours. I feel silly for feeling so tired. And they sprang on us yesterday that come Jan. they are going to open at 530... YAWN! :wink2: I'll be getting up at 415 or so. I worked out every day when I got off so that is a good thing. I almost talked myself out of it today as I was tired, foot hurts, knee hurts. Felt I 'deserved' a day off for being so faithful etc. But nope I did it. Just did mostly cardio. I know not to do weights every day on the same muscles. So I need to workout a routine where I do lower body one day and upper the next. I tend to do it all in one day.

Lizalee, Hope you get internet worked out soon and are back online soon. I can't imagine going too long w/o the support here.

Well the first week of the new job went well. It's a little slow and boring and I gotta get used to these early hours. I feel silly for feeling so tired. And they sprang on us yesterday that come Jan. they are going to open at 530... YAWN! :wink2: I'll be getting up at 415 or so. I worked out every day when I got off so that is a good thing. I almost talked myself out of it today as I was tired, foot hurts, knee hurts. Felt I 'deserved' a day off for being so faithful etc. But nope I did it. Just did mostly cardio. I know not to do weights every day on the same muscles. So I need to workout a routine where I do lower body one day and upper the next. I tend to do it all in one day.

Lori - Congrats on the exercise !!!

I do Legs on Monday - cardio on Tuesday - Arms on Wed and Cardio on Saturday.

Well that's my normal schedule - but since my bro death I haven't been doing great on the cardio - I went last night though and felt so much better.. Nothing better than good songs on the ipod and a good 3 mile walk..

Merry Chirstmas to everyone. Lisalee, good luck with your move to the country and I really hope you get internet access sooner rather than latter.

Long, good luck on getting up at 4 in the morning. I'm usually just getting back to bed. I'm usually up between 1 and 4 am and then go back to sleep until 7:30. My DH has to be to work by 6 and gets up at 5 am. He usually goes to bed around 9 pm. But as he says, you get used to it.

I thank God everyday for this site as I am on it reading everyday even though I write very little.

Hugs and Blessings at this most Blessed time

Hi Hockeyson, I live in Kingsville, MD just south of Harford County. Welcome to this site. I was banded in June and have lost about 45 lbs. I am very pleased with my weight loss. I need a fill right now because I have only lost 1 lb in the past 8 weeks. I go next week for a fill. Hopefully I can get back to losing weight since I have another 50 lbs to go. I'd like to be at my goal around 150 by my one year anniversay in June. Anyway, keep up the good work. Don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions or need anything.

Your Neighbor,

Susan

What is the name of her book? I would love to read it.

Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery (Paperback)

by [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Jessie%20H.%20Ahroni%20Ph.D.%20A.%20R.%20N.%20P.]Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.[/ame] (Author)

You can find it at Amazon.com

I was told no liquids for 30 minutes before and after eating. This makes no sense to me. I mean the 30 minutes before part. I have heard that some people believe that drinking right before eating lubricates you inside and the food slides through faster. But for heaven's sake, we are lined inside with mucus membranes, and we all know how slippery mucus can be!

Anyhow, the person I consider my mentor, Jessie Ahroni, a nurse (now a fill nurse in Seattle) who wrote a book on banding, and has been a bandster for 10 years now, drinks up to the time she eats, and she has been at her goal weight for over 9 years. I call that the voice of experience and success.

Also, I tend to wait an hour or more after eating to drink my Water. It's easier to do this if I am well hydrated and drinking that last half hour helps.

Naturally, everyone should ideally do what their doctor says, but logic should prevail IMHO. Try it and see if it works for you... (I wouldn't say this about potentially dangerous things like drinking carbonated beverages.)

YMMV

Orea

Hi Orea15,

Is the book your mentor wrote still being sold? does it cover all complications?

I'm still having bad times. Banded 2nd time in June '08 plus two hernia repairs. Another large hernia repair in November, caught an MRSO bug in the wound in hospital. Surgeon emptied the band before the operation and wants to wait another month before putting any in. Problem is, I am sooo ill. I still suffer from huge loud gas explosions (burping) continuously and vomit pretty much everything I eat. Sometimes I am not able to sleep for three nights straight because of the gas and reflux problem. Believe me, I am sooo tired and cranky.

My surgeon is going overseas for Christmas holidays so I've made an appt to see him on Monday to find out what the heck is happening and who I'm to contact if anything goes wrong again. Even though there is no Fluid in the band, I'm still losing weight. I guess because nothing stays down of course.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this problem.

Best

Wishes.

Hi Orea15,

Is the book your mentor wrote still being sold? does it cover all complications?

I'm still having bad times. Banded 2nd time in June '08 plus two hernia repairs. Another large hernia repair in November, caught an MRSO bug in the wound in hospital. Surgeon emptied the band before the operation and wants to wait another month before putting any in. Problem is, I am sooo ill. I still suffer from huge loud gas explosions (burping) continuously and vomit pretty much everything I eat. Sometimes I am not able to sleep for three nights straight because of the gas and reflux problem. Believe me, I am sooo tired and cranky.

My surgeon is going overseas for Christmas holidays so I've made an appt to see him on Monday to find out what the heck is happening and who I'm to contact if anything goes wrong again. Even though there is no Fluid in the band, I'm still losing weight. I guess because nothing stays down of course. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this problem. Best Wishes.

So sorry for the trouble you're having! This is not normal. Something is wrong. You should not be vomiting like that, especially with nothing in your band. Glad you are seeing your doctor on Monday!

The book is available on Amazon.com, and you can also see reviews there and view the table of contents, etc. I don't rememeber what she covered as far as complications, but I'm sure you can find out there. Another good source of information is the Yahoo group Orea mentioned, Smartbandsters.com..... and Jesse Ahroni monitors that pretty much daily and will usually answer any questions you might have as well as advise you if you're having problems.

Keep us posted. What you are experiencing is not the norm!

Hi all...it has been quite awhile since my last post...hope all is well with everyone...I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary January 31st...I have had only one fill to date and am still very restricted...I have lost 128 pounds...my question is am I a freak of nature or are there others like me out here? I am considering have a half of a cc taken out due not being able to eat...I mean certain things I can tolerate..alot I cannot...I am more restricted in the morning and afternoon..then in the evening is when I have my best luck of eating...not complaining mind you..just wondering if any others like me out there...

Wow Phyl, I hadnt been on here for several months. Was just reading posts. You are looking really good. Are you going south for the winter this year?? Take care

Hi Katydid, the seminar I went to, the lady used to have a lapband and lost her weight with it, and then had to have it removed because of reflux and she had another type of WLS. The reflux wouldnt go away, so now she has the sleeve. I was wondering if this is a side effect for some? I hope your doctor can find a good answer for you that works. Scary Im sure and worrisome for you, its rough not sleeping (and here I am up at 5:30, been awake since 3 am, so I know all about insominia).