Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Knees and excercise

I am looking for exercises/activities for someone with bad knees. I have been walking in place with hand held weights as I've dropped some pounds and felt I could. I started at 2 minutes no weight and have worked up to 5 minutes with weights. I recently purchased 2 different DVDs for chair exercises, which should be here soon. Anyone else on here who has bad knees, but has found some things to do to get exercise without needs the heating pad for several days after? I am open to suggestions. I wish we had a pool, or access to one, but unfortunately we don't and the places close by that do are very expensive. 😞

I have bad knees, no cartilage in either, which I have been told will need to be replaced in the years to come.

I see you don't have a pool close by that is not cheap but I do aqua aerobics once a week and feel the benefit of it so if you could even afford a class once a week it might do you the world of good. I am lucky that my hospital run the class so I just have to pay about €100 by way of membership for the year and the classes are 50 weeks of the year.

I also have an exercise bike that I go would go slowly on for about 20 minutes three times a week. Now that I have lost more weight and the weather is improving I find I can do short walks of about 20 minutes/1.5km. My knees do ache afterwards at night but not as bad as before when I was heavier so I feel it is worth it, put a bit of gel on them and it helps me sleep easier.

I now also do the Svelte 'One and Done' exercise program, just the beginner level, three days a week. There are some exercises I can't do as they require knee movements I can't do but from what I have seen so far there is always an alternative exercise shown if movement is not possible. You could always check out their YouTube site as they have plenty of exercises that you don't have to pay for. Even though my weight loss has slowed down I can see where I am still losing cm's.

Thanks.... I'll start looking to see what I can find 🙂

I, too, take Water fitness classes. Anything in the water is easy on the joints.

I don't have great knees and had to do PT for a very messed up knee. They always had me on the bike for a warmup.

I bought one for about $150 that folds so it doesn't take up too much space and you can adjust the tension and go at your own pace. Easy to just set up in front of the TV or throw on some music.

YouTube also offers some free chair exercises while you are waiting on the DVD versions. There are tons actually. Chair yoga etc for all activity levels. Also if you can manage, there are low impact walking type workouts that usually don't involve much in the way of bending.

Aqua fit is the best fun and exercise for old knees but like you, after 10 years of doing it, my pool has closed. I cried. Now I just walk. I keep to the flatter areas. I also find shopping in the city is quite good because I walk miles, in and out of stores and all around the markets. I buy very little but enjoy the browse.

I also suggest checking out you tube - exercises for those with mobility issues. I don’t have knee issues but I have lower back problems. I do my stretches & use my resistance bands sitting or lying on the ground. (I have an inch thick foam mat to protect my bony back 😉.) Also you didn’t have to do 20 - 30 odd minute sessions. I do 4 sessions of about 5 minutes (6 days a week). And I sometimes do some extra random stretches - like calf stretches when cooking or prepping a meal. You may find these short bursts less stressful on your knees.

I say any kind of Water exercise and also riding the exercise bike. My brother has severe knee and hip issues and wears 1 1/2 pound ankle weights all day. He doesn't specifically go on walks with them, just wears them throughout the day and not only has he lost some weight with them, he's also built up a little bit of leg muscle and his joints are slowly getting stronger. He said it doesn't take a lot of weight to do the trick, just a smaller amount of weight over a longer amount of time. He said his joints don't hurt at the end of the day, but his legs are tired and feel like they got a decent work out.

All the above posters have shared many useful activities I have enjoyed that work. My latest has been to get a rowing machine from Amazon. There’s many kinds and price points. I picked a magnetic one so I’m quiet. I started dancing around with more upper body movements in my house during lockdowns. My son called it “flopping around “ but it worked and was a good starting point. I just did one or two songs every hour, short bursts.

8 months out and 191 pounds dropped, and it is still rough. Knees still ache, I am due for both to be replaced, but I have to be under 250 pounds, which is my goal. I can say that I do move better and can walk further, pain is still there but not as bad and they recover faster. I may attempt to try some light hiking this year. Swimming for sure, stationary bike, and even the elliptical is low impact on knees.

At the beginning of my fitness journey, I joined a national chain gymnasium for a little over $10 per month. It rhymes with Janet Witness, and had a variety of low impact and muscle building machines to try out. Pushing towards 300 pounds, I had to work up the courage to be there but soon found that everyone was in their own little zone, paying me no mind.

I took advantage of their membership benefit that allows one to meet with a trainer to plan a custom routine. Three years later, I am still a member of this gym and am grateful for the healthier lifestyle seeds that they helped me plant.

For some reason “Janet Witness” was so funny! Thanks for making me laugh. I’ve had luck with them too lol.

On 4/18/2024 at 12:30 AM, JerkyGirl said:

I am looking for exercises/activities for someone with bad knees. I have been walking in place with hand held weights as I've dropped some pounds and felt I could. I started at 2 minutes no weight and have worked up to 5 minutes with weights. I recently purchased 2 different DVDs for chair exercises, which should be here soon. Anyone else on here who has bad knees, but has found some things to do to get exercise without needs the heating pad for several days after? I am open to suggestions. I wish we had a pool, or access to one, but unfortunately we don't and the places close by that do are very expensive. 😞

Reformer PILATES.

All the benefits of cardio and strength without the stress impact on joints. Its actually touted as great for mobility (joints, rotations, etc).

I have recently become a reformer pilates addict so i may be biased. I started about 6 or so months ago going once a week, then twice a week, and for the past month i have gone 4 or 5x per week (i bought an unlimited plan at a local studio).

i feel stronger (legs and core...my arms still need work lol), waaaaay more flexible (i was already pretty flexible, but now i could probably join a circus), and my abs are pretty frickin awesome to look at these days.

it can get expensive, but studios do offer starter packs at a heavily discounted price for first time visitors...a friend of mine just studio surfs and gets starter packs everywhere lol.

I also second swimming for low impact exercise...i used to go lane swimming much more before, but now maybe go once every couple of weeks with my Kid. while i love the actual swimming, i hate the changing/showering/etc afterwards, boo.

there is also tai chi (never tried), yoga (love!), elliptical (not my cup of tea), cycling (also not for me as it hurts my butt).

but the most important thing is to find something you actually enjoy as you will be more likely to continue doing it :)

Good Luck! ❤️

But seriously, try reformer pilates!!