Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good afternoon all! I just was thinking of all the surprises I've experienced since WLS...and I wanted to ask others what's surprised them about their weight loss/surgery journey that they weren't told by their bariatric team?!

I'll go first:

1. All the aches and pains in my hips and butt. My butt hurts now when I sit since I'm missing my butt padding! Also, since losing weight my posture and gait have changed so now I'm in PT for hip abductor pain.

2. The ever increasing and changing locations of skin irritation. The skin now droops in places I wasn't told to expect and I get red irritation under my butt creases from over lap - sorry for the unpleasant visual!

3. I've shrunk..so driving I now need extra padding to be at my former "sitting height" I feel like a kid driving my parents car now.

4. I've had to buy new glasses, mine were stretched out from digging into my fat head 😋 and now they keep falling off when I look down.

5. I've had to buy new shoes, all my old shoes no longer fit. They just flop around. I was expecting new clothing..not shoes.

6. I feel more clumsy and weak despite working out. My manual dexterity is horrible now.

7. I still feel hunger 😔

These are just a few of the changes I've experienced that my bariatric team never mentioned. Do you have any to add that can take the surprise out of it for people just starting their WLS journey?! I eagerly await your responses!

The one thing I have encountered that I didn’t expect was how difficult it is to get pain relief. I have had two female procedures done that they typically have you take like 4 otc NSAIDs before and after but Since I wasn’t allowed to have them I was told it really wasn’t necessary anyways and just to tough it out. I contacted my surgeons office who said I was far enough out I could take the NSAIDs post sleeve on these rare occasion with food and my Omeprazole. I survived without pain relief afterwards but I was just led to believe that drs would be more accommodating than I experienced.

Also I had sciatic pain and panicked a little when it recurred two more times right in a row and my dr did not want to give me any pain meds The third time when it was pretty bad I asked for something and He acted like I was an addict or something and actually told me he couldn’t treat me anymore. This kinda worked out because I like the NP I see now much better but I’ve not had any issues where I need pain meds with her so I guess we shall see what happens if I ever need them again. I understand that doctors have to be careful but I had been his patient for over 5 years and never asked for anything like that before my sleeve. Honestly it was all kinda weird. It did made me worry if I ever had a chronic issue like arthritis or something that you usually treat with NSAIDS what I would do. I guess a pain management clinic would help. Or maybe there are different meds. I honestly don’t know.

6 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

The one thing I have encountered that I didn’t expect was how difficult it is to get pain relief. I have had two female procedures done that they typically have you take like 4 otc NSAIDs before and after but Since I wasn’t allowed to have them I was told it really wasn’t necessary anyways and just to tough it out. I contacted my surgeons office who said I was far enough out I could take the NSAIDs post sleeve on these rare occasion with food and my Omeprazole. I survived without pain relief afterwards but I was just led to believe that drs would be more accommodating than I experienced.

Also I had sciatic pain and panicked a little when it recurred two more times right in a row and my dr did not want to give me any pain meds The third time when it was pretty bad I asked for something and He acted like I was an addict or something and actually told me he couldn’t treat me anymore. This kinda worked out because I like the NP I see now much better but I’ve not had any issues where I need pain meds with her so I guess we shall see what happens if I ever need them again. I understand that doctors have to be careful but I had been his patient for over 5 years and never asked for anything like that before my sleeve. Honestly it was all kinda weird. It did made me worry if I ever had a chronic issue like arthritis or something that you usually treat with NSAIDS what I would do. I guess a pain management clinic would help. Or maybe there are different meds. I honestly don’t know.

Wow, what a horrible experience for you! I'm sorry you went through all that. Hopefully you're doing better now.?

Its amazing when you start putting things together despite knowing WLS is life changing - it is in more ways than we can imagine. Thank you for sharing!

20 minutes ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

Wow, what a horrible experience for you! I'm sorry you went through all that. Hopefully you're doing better now.?

Its amazing when you start putting things together despite knowing WLS is life changing - it is in more ways than we can imagine. Thank you for sharing!

Ooh yea. I am doing fine now. Thank you for asking. I haven’t needed any more NSAIDs. I gained my weight back and I’m facing revision to a surgery where even occasional NSAIDS are not okay though so this is on my list of questions to ask about.

14 hours ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

. All the aches and pains in my hips and butt. My butt hurts now when I sit since I'm missing my butt padding! Also, since losing weight my posture and gait have changed so now I'm in PT for hip abductor pain.

My butt hurt real bad for about 18 months then poof the pain disappeared and has never returned. Hope yours does too

i had the loss-of-fat-butt pain, as well as the mid-back and hip pains as a result of my body re-alignments to adjust for my new centre of gravity (or whatever the weight loss reason for musculature aches from body size shrinkage is!)

those pains became non-issues the between the 1 and 2 year post op mark.

however since losing all my stomach bulk/fat i can no longer sleep comfortably (unassisted) on my stomach...ill wake up with pretty bad lower back pain if i do.

the lack of stomach no longer props my middle up makes my back hyper-extend when i lay on my front. i even have to put a pillow under my stomach when i get massages to keep the discomfort at bay.

this was definitely unexpected. i mean never-fat people sleep on their stomachs all the time and they're fine. so we came to the conclusion that i have a weak back and need to strengthen it up.

still a work in progress though...am 5+ yrs post op and it's still an issue.

The needing new shoes surprised me too, although it makes sense- I never thought i had “fat” feet.

The seating issue in the car- I am so short it was always a problem, but am grateful for the ability to adjust the height on the seat in my car now.

And yes- the butt pain sitting is ridiculous. I prefer to stand most of the time now when I can.

The other annoying thing, which i know is first world issue- that i have to replace all the chains on my necklaces so they sit where i want them to on my neckline/outfit! The rings i could just move to other fingers— but the necklaces! Arghh…

Posted (edited)

Something I didn’t expect were the changes to body composition post op (not the planned body modifications of plastic surgery) I was surprised to see that my body didn’t look the same each year post op. How and where I carried weight fluctuated each year.

Edited by GreenTealael

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Something I didn’t expect were the changes to body composition post op (not the planned body modifications of plastic surgery) I was surprised to see that my body didn’t look the same each year post op. How and where I carried weight fluctuated each year.

How so?

8 hours ago, summerseeker said:

My butt hurt real bad for about 18 months then poof the pain disappeared and has never returned. Hope yours does too

Ahhh I hope so!! <fingers crossed>

5 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

well that's interesting...was not aware (nor experienced) this myself. assuming the changes are NOT related to exercise or lack therof?

echoing BlondeP...what is different this year from last year for instance???

inquiring minds want to know!

17 hours ago, BlondePatriotInCDA said:

How so?

14 hours ago, ms.sss said:

well that's interesting...was not aware (nor experienced) this myself. assuming the changes are NOT related to exercise or lack therof?

echoing BlondeP...what is different this year from last year for instance???

inquiring minds want to know!

I should have said immediately after losing a lot of excess weight vs when your weight settles. I think immediately post WLS my skin was thinner (in certain areas) but over time it feels thicker again.

3 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I should have said immediately after losing a lot of excess weight vs when your weight settles. I think immediately post WLS my skin was thinner (in certain areas) but over time it feels thicker again.

aaaahhhh ok...

put this way, i'll have to say i did notice some unexpected body composition changes in the year immediately following rapid weight loss:

- went from looking deathly skeletor-ish (gaunt and drawn and frail looking) to pretty healthy looking despite weighing less now than those skeleton days.

- my hair is actually thicker and "healthier" and even slightly curlier than even before surgery (which was a very welcome surprise after all that Hair loss from months 4-6 post op omg)

- i don't get pimples anymore. like ever.

- those weird dark little bumps on my upper arms are gone.

- when i do any sort of sustained exercise it's immediately noticeable. for instance if i do like 30 situps or 60 bicep curls i look shredded right after. no joke.

- my dentist says my gums have receeded faster than expected since the weight loss (dunno if this is related or a coincidence??)

- despite probably being the most "fit" i have ever been since my 20's, i still feel unbelievably weak compared to my heaviest days. i swear i can't open jars anymore nor can i carry multiple bags or groceries at once like i used to.

- i used to be bottom heavy (hips/butt was my widest part) now i am top heavy (shoulders/back are my widest part).

- i no longer have armpit hair ...but this is likely due to my arm lift? so i never have to shave there...which has the side benefit of the skin lightening up in that area...no more dark armpits for me! yay!

- i have no ass. like zero. looking at me directly from behind is semi-normal looking, but from a side view, its a straight line from the base of my neck to my knees.

- the hump on the back of my neck is gone

- not sure if this is related to my overall weakness, or because i just do wat more stuff now, or im just getting old, or a combination of it all, but i get injured ALOT. multiple sprains, torn ligaments, torn muscles, pinched nerves, tendonitis like everywhere, abdominal hernia, bruised ribs, carpel tunnel, ingrown toenails, omg. ive had more doctors/physio appts in the last 5 years than i've had in my entire life. times 2.

ok...this post is getting too long. gonna stop now lol

I’m 11 weeks out from RNY and had a weekend trip away with the grand babies. Hotel had a swimming pool and I discovered I no longer float. I kept sinking and it took so much more work to not drown.