Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1.5 years post op weight regain

This year has been a tough year for me. I finally hit a “normal” BMI range. They weight was slowly coming off around the 1 year post op mark. I have been trying to maintain the weight and it has been slowly creeping back on. I am worried that it is a slippery slope back to my post op weight. I want to get back on track but am lacking the motivation and I feel overwhelmed. I have gained 4.5 kilos in 6 months and I am not happy about it. Ideally I would like to lose this weight and then a few more kilos to hit my target weight. I have been working out consistently and have increased my muscle mass as well. Initially it was muscle but the 4.5 kilos is not fat. I also have body dysmorphia which doesn’t help. My appetite has been fluctuating and I know I have been consuming much more sugar and refined carbs. Any suggestions on how to get back on track to losing and keeping the weight off. I feel as helpless as I did before I decided to opt for surgery. If anyone can relate please let me know what you did? Thanks in advance

I highly recommend looking at the videos on the Pound of Cure channel on You Tube, which go into detail about how to eat to lower your body's metabolic setpoint. Foods that are ultra-processed and high carb push your body's setpoint, the weight it wants to maintain, higher, where nutrient dense foods like leafy green vegetables, Beans, nuts, and seeds, make your body want to maintain a lower weight.

As I have been preparing for surgery, I found the Pound of Cure book on Amazon and implemented many of the basic changes it recommends, such as cutting out processed foods, breads, sugar, and artificial sweeteners, and eating more vegetables, fruits, and beans. I lost 15 pounds in around 3 months without counting calories or ever feeling hungry. And I can also say that in the past several weeks, as the holiday treats have infiltrated my house, I have not been as good about eating that way, and to no one's surprise, my weight has shifted upward. I will be returning to better nutrition as soon as the last of the ham, sweet potatoes, and pie from Christmas dinner is out of the house!

I recommend starting with these videos that I've linked below (and then, if you're like me, binge watching the rest of Dr. Weiner's channel). I find his advice to be a common sense approach to nutrition that you should be able to implement long-term without a lot of pain. Hope this helps!

Dr Weiner resources are great as are Dr John Pilcher’s.

Bounce back regain is always a possibility in the second & third year. I believe the average is about 10lb/5kgs so that could be a possibility. This regain can be from not being as vigilant, how you were eating wasn’t sustainable (too restrictive) & didn’t allow you to live & enjoy your life as you want, a change in medication, & your body & new weight set point resettling. And yes, muscle weighs more than fat so some of the regain could be from that too. (Maybe have a dexa scan to compared your fat & muscle mass.)

Start by making one or two changes to your eating & then in a week or two make another change or two. You can start small. Maybe track your food to begin. Then up your Protein & fluids if you’re not meeting your goals. Adjust your portions if they have become larger. Then drop some of your sugar or carbs or swap the highly processed refined carbs for low processed multi or whole grain options. Etc. Small changes are often easier to adopt & adapt to than large all encompassing changes.

Doesn't matter how long it takes you to get fully back on track.

3 years out for me and weighed myself this morning.... UGH - 10lbs up. Funny, as soon as I weighed myself, I thought of this forum and this was one of the first posts I saw. I think we lose the weight, get comfortable, and "forget" the WHY and HOW we got here. Something I heard over the holidays:

"Wow, I am so proud of you for keeping the weight off" - Me thinking: (as I'm drinking a high calorie cocktail).... I'm pretty much a failure at the moment....

Here's the reality - I lost the weight, got comfortable, quit tracking, eating whatever and whenever I want - Results: 10lbs weight gain.

For me, the trick seems to be: Be a slave to the scale, TRACK TRACK TRACK. and get back into this forum. Tracking and weighing seems to be the only way I don't lie to myself (as if my clothes don't tell me...). Get back on the forum and remind myself daily of what I need to do vs. what I want to do. Going to try and get back to the basics: fluids and Protein - skip the boredom/stress snacking and nix the alcohol.

Thanks for these posts and knowing we aren't alone in this journey!

Thank you so much @NickelChip @Arabesque and @MandoGetsSleeved for your responses. I guess you all summed it up in one way or another. I stopped tracking as much, I went back to eating habits I had before the surgery and I was feeling sorry for myself instead of taking ownership.

I needed this - I can’t thank you enough. I will give myself grace and start small with incorporating back habits that helped me lose the weight in the first place. I am really grateful for this community. My family and friends do not know I had surgery so it has been a little lonely.

I am looking forward to getting back on track :)

side question: do ur pants still fit? sometimes the weight on the scale my not reflect the visual (i bring this up because loss of muscle mass was mentioned).

the scale can sometimes be misleading, but your pants dont lie ;)

Posted (edited)

dupe

Edited by ms.sss

On 12/26/2023 at 11:34 AM, NickelChip said:

I highly recommend looking at the videos on the Pound of Cure channel on You Tube, which go into detail about how to eat to lower your body's metabolic setpoint. Foods that are ultra-processed and high carb push your body's setpoint, the weight it wants to maintain, higher, where nutrient dense foods like leafy green vegetables, Beans, nuts, and seeds, make your body want to maintain a lower weight.

As I have been preparing for surgery, I found the Pound of Cure book on Amazon and implemented many of the basic changes it recommends, such as cutting out processed foods, breads, sugar, and artificial sweeteners, and eating more vegetables, fruits, and Beans. I lost 15 pounds in around 3 months without counting calories or ever feeling hungry. And I can also say that in the past several weeks, as the holiday treats have infiltrated my house, I have not been as good about eating that way, and to no one's surprise, my weight has shifted upward. I will be returning to better nutrition as soon as the last of the ham, sweet potatoes, and pie from Christmas dinner is out of the house!

I recommend starting with these videos that I've linked below (and then, if you're like me, binge watching the rest of Dr. Weiner's channel). I find his advice to be a common sense approach to nutrition that you should be able to implement long-term without a lot of pain. Hope this helps!

Happy for this info that was shared

On 12/26/2023 at 11:34 AM, NickelChip said:

As I have been preparing for surgery, I found the Pound of Cure book on Amazon and implemented many of the basic changes it recommends, such as cutting out processed foods, breads, sugar, and artificial sweeteners, and eating more vegetables, fruits, and Beans. I lost 15 pounds in around 3 months without counting calories or ever feeling hungry. And I can also say that in the past several weeks, as the holiday treats have infiltrated my house, I have not been as good about eating that way, and to no one's surprise, my weight has shifted upward. I will be returning to better nutrition as soon as the last of the ham, sweet potatoes, and pie from Christmas dinner is out of the house!

Happy for this info that was shared

23 hours ago, ms.sss said:

side question: do ur pants still fit? sometimes the weight on the scale my not reflect the visual (i bring this up because loss of muscle mass was mentioned).

the scale can sometimes be misleading, but your pants dont lie ;)

My pants still fit. A slightly snugger fit. I am adopting a different strategy. One that was mentioned of giving myself a week to incorporate one habit at a time. I get very impatient and want to do everything all at once which is great for the first day or 2 but very difficult to maintain. I am working on sleeping 2 hours earlier first. I also started taking Berberine. Let’s see how it goes.

You seem to be on track for that 10 pound regain, which I'm told is normal. You know you ate too much sugar and carbs, so I would start there. Start reducing those until you're back in compliance with your diet. Majorly limit the high calorie cocktails. Move your body more. I would start there. Those are "easy" fixes. Once you're comfortable with that, start getting what, where, and how much you eat back on track. Little by little, you'll get those 10 pounds off and be back where you want to be :)

3 minutes ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

You seem to be on track for that 10 pound regain, which I'm told is normal. You know you ate too much sugar and carbs, so I would start there. Start reducing those until you're back in compliance with your diet. Majorly limit the high calorie cocktails. Move your body more. I would start there. Those are "easy" fixes. Once you're comfortable with that, start getting what, where, and how much you eat back on track. Little by little, you'll get those 10 pounds off and be back where you want to be :)

Thank you for the encouragement and for sharing. It is so easy to fall back into old habits. I set the intention to honor my body and make loving choices :)

9 hours ago, Love&Light said:

My pants still fit. A slightly snugger fit. I am adopting a different strategy. One that was mentioned of giving myself a week to incorporate one habit at a time. I get very impatient and want to do everything all at once which is great for the first day or 2 but very difficult to maintain. I am working on sleeping 2 hours earlier first. I also started taking Berberine. Let’s see how it goes.

The snugger pants could be from working out. I have 3 pairs of pants which had slim/narrow legs which now are tight around the thighs simply from building muscle. I started focussing on my legs (use resistance bands at home) about 8 months ago. Didn’t notice it in Winter as my pants have stretch in them but my summer pants don’t. Had to buy new pairs. Haven’t gained (actually lost about a kg) so same size but wider legs. Bit torn by it. Muscle yay! But bigger thighs & tight pants boo!