Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Sleeve 8 years

I was trying to find uplifting support weightoss post op 8 years or longer I am 8 years post op Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, I am trying to re lose between 8-9 pounds.Me and my Husband had Identity theft done online September of 2023. I had got a bit careless. With my Weight. I want to lose this weight Before it turns into 50 or a 100 pounds of Regain.i lost a 166 pounds.i did good to stay thin for 8 years. I had vsg done May 21,2015 at UF Shanda Gainesville, Florida. I took have not kept up my post op weightoss Support. I realize I still need the Support.Its been a long time Since I was here I had written about this in my weight loss Journals..I hope I can maybe make some Supportive Friends here..Ty Jo Ann age 65 North Florida.. 🙂

Edited by Joann troupe
Mistakes

Hello Joanne, You will find nothing but good wishes and support here. You have done really well to only have a regain 8 pounds in 8 years. Good luck with the hard work of loosing it again especially at this time of year.

6 hours ago, summerseeker said:

Hello Joanne, You will find nothing but good wishes and support here. You have done really well to only have a regain 8 pounds in 8 years. Good luck with the hard work of loosing it again especially at this time of year.

I Know you will do Great!! Ty for your Kindness.Jo Ann age 65 North ,Florida.. i pray I can lose my Regain.. I am scared it can turn into more than it is..i was blessed for 8 years to keep my weight down between 115-120. today i am between 124-125. i am 5"2. Age 65..

Edited by Joann troupe

19 hours ago, Joann troupe said:

I was trying to find uplifting support weightoss post op 8 years or longer I am 8 years post op Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, I am trying to re lose between 8-9 pounds.Me and my Husband had Identity theft done online September of 2023. I had got a bit careless. With my Weight. I want to lose this weight Before it turns into 50 or a 100 pounds of Regain.i lost a 166 pounds.i did good to stay thin for 8 years. I had vsg done May 21,2015 at UF Shanda Gainesville, Florida. I took have not kept up my post op weightoss Support. I realize I still need the Support.Its been a long time Since I was here I had written about this in my weight loss Journals..I hope I can maybe make some Supportive Friends here..Ty Jo Ann age 65 North Florida.. 🙂

Best of luck to you Joann! Absolutely nothing but support for you on this forum x

It's so fantastic to hear of someone who has been through 8 years and gained so little (and so recently!)

Welcome. Or welcome back x

like others, eight lbs in eight years is actually great. Most people have a 10-20 lb rebound - and usually earlier on than you - usually at about three years out. And fortunately, as someone implied, it's eight lbs and not 40! It should be do-able, although that said, the closer you are to a normal BMI, the harder it is to lose even a few lbs. I've said this before on here, but I remember going to Weight Watchers meetings before surgery and listening in disbelief to those barely overweight women moan and complain about how hard it was to lose 10 lbs. And there I was - 200 lbs overweight. But I totally get it now!!!

I've been dealing with regain, too (I'm 20 lbs above my lowest weight and have been since even before the pandemic), but I've been weighing back and forth after all this struggling if it's even worth the struggle (and my doctor is fine with my current weight, so she doesn't "get it" - which is no help!). I know a ton of long-timers who are dealing with the same thing. Some have just given up trying and are just focusing on maintaining where they're at, some have had some success with Weight Watchers, others swear by intermittent fasting, some go really low carb for awhile. And some go back to eating the way they did the first year post-op (not all the way back to purees and soft food - but they way they were eating when they were 6-12 months or so out). Whatever works and fits your lifestyle is worth a shot. But know that it's tough - your loss will be in ounces at this point rather than pounds, so it's hard to see your successes - but it can be done and some people do succeed! Anyway, best of luck to you!

8 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

like others, eight lbs in eight years is actually great. Most people have a 10-20 lb rebound - and usually earlier on than you - usually at about three years out. And fortunately, as someone implied, it's eight lbs and not 40! It should be do-able, although that said, the closer you are to a normal BMI, the harder it is to lose even a few lbs. I've said this before on here, but I remember going to Weight Watchers meetings before surgery and listening in disbelief to those barely overweight women moan and complain about how hard it was to lose 10 lbs. And there I was - 200 lbs overweight. But I totally get it now!!!

I've been dealing with regain, too (I'm 20 lbs above my lowest weight and have been since even before the pandemic), but I've been weighing back and forth after all this struggling if it's even worth the struggle (and my doctor is fine with my current weight, so she doesn't "get it" - which is no help!). I know a ton of long-timers who are dealing with the same thing. Some have just given up trying and are just focusing on maintaining where they're at, some have had some success with Weight Watchers, others swear by intermittent fasting, some go really low carb for awhile. And some go back to eating the way they did the first year post-op (not all the way back to purees and soft food - but they way they were eating when they were 6-12 months or so out). Whatever works and fits your lifestyle is worth a shot. But know that it's tough - your loss will be in ounces at this point rather than pounds, so it's hard to see your successes - but it can be done and some people do succeed! Anyway, best of luck to you!

Ty So much i lost 166pounds Total.I am Thankful for what i weigh Compared to 285.3 prior to my sleeve Surgery.. I had at 2 years post op Gained 20 Pounds...I got strict took it off and much more.As i am seeing..Its way harder to lose Further out you go.,It seems to be like Same old..I am trying hard to lose this mindset too. I KNOW I CAN RELOSE THIS REGAIN..I do feel the Support does still help me in my Life Long Weight Loss Journey..I know Bariatric Surgeons told me 125-130 was good. Not for me .i had for over Seven years stayed hy 115-116. then over past year or so i got up by 124-125. i am afraid of losing control. I never want to be a 2-3X Again. I am a petite 7-8.I am, I am 5"2 Short.. age 65.. Had my vsg May 21, 2015.. Thank you For your kindness.Always Jo Ann Age 65 North ,Florida

On 12/10/2023 at 2:48 PM, rvingbmb said:

Hi Jo Ann, you give me hope. I’m 6days post-op and also 65yrs.

I know You can do it, i went way past my actual weight Goals set hy my Bariatric Surgeon. He had told me to lose by 125-130.for 8 yeats i stayed between 115-120.. Me and Jim my Husband of 24 years had Some Identity Theft in September 2023 Online..I found myself snacking at nights on Ice Cream and things i should not been eating..I do know i put my weight on being fareless.i lost, 25 pounds plus more in year 2 after my Sleeve Surgery..I pray to make some supportive Friends here. DR.DUC CUONG TAUGHT ME ABOUT JOURNALING..i have kept a Journal from start of my Weightloss Journey till now.I have a Separate Gratitude Journal..that helps me..My Belief is You still Need On Going Support.

I agree: ongoing support is necessary or at least knowing it’s there if you do need it. The ongoing support is the main reason I stay active on this forum plus being able to pay it back by offering others support because that can reinforce my behaviours. As is reading about others’ stories like yours. I’m also glad I still see my surgeon’s colleague for follow ups (6 monthly now) & I’m 4.5 yrs out. It’s probably more of a chatty catch up now but she is there if I ever need her.

I also get the worrying over small weight gains. I find myself watching the grams/ounces & not just the kilograms/pounds some days. Before surgery I’d just shrug off any gain or simply not weigh myself so I could pretend I hadn’t gained. Now I think I’ve worked too darn hard to let my weight get away from me. But sometimes life gets in the way: you or a loved one has a health issue, you’re prescribed new meds, relationship, work, financial challenges, etc. arise, & you can’t control all those things. All you can do is decide how you manage them & their impact on your life.

Maybe track your food for a while to check your food choices, portions sizes, nutritional content & whether you’re still meeting your Protein & fluid goals. That way you can discover where you may have drifted off track. Then start by making one or two changes then in another week or two make another change or two until you’re back on your path.

All the best.