Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are some quintessentially Irish/Scottish/Welsh/English soft foods?

I'm in Florida, USA and will be going to a Renaissance Fest in December. The theme for that weekend is "Celtic Christmas." I'm in the soft foods stage, so I can't eat what they traditionally sell at these kinds of fairs: giant turkey legs, meat pies, pub food, and general fatty/sugary things. Thankfully, their website says that those with "medical dietary needs" can bring outside food.

So I'm wondering what kind of traditional UK or Irish food I could make and bring with me? They wouldn't need to be "period appropriate" (I think historical accuracy isn't always a big concern with these fairs) but I would like to get into the feel of it! By that point I'll have been cleared to have ground beef, soft dark meat chicken or turkey, fruits, and small amounts of butter or oil, in addition to the usual soft stuff, including vegetables. I was thinking colcannon made with cauliflower instead of potatoes? Something with meat would be nice too!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I think colcannon would be good with maybe baby spinach or a more tender cabbage! My first thought when I read your post is a shepherd's pie. The ground meat and tender veggies would be perfect for soft foods, it's on my list to make as soon as I hit that stage because I think it'll be perfect in little ramekins! Or a Guinness stew!

ETA: My partner who is from New Zealand and has eaten a fair amount of that sort of food says black pudding if you want to be really authentic! LOL

Edited by ChunkCat

Oh, if you want to do something fruity you could have a baked fruit pudding if you are fine with some sugar and want a dessert treat. Mmmmm....

Definitely either a Shepherds pie, its made with beef mince or a cottage pie if its made with minced lamb. You can add grated cheese to the mash to make it even more yummy. They are very portable.

Fish pie is a similar thing. Its usually white fish and a few prawns in a white or cheese sauce with mashed potato on top.

Any stew, with or without dumplings. Here in the north of UK, its all long , slow cooked cheaper cuts of meat that we love like oxtail or neck of lamb [ scrag end ] The bones make yummy gravy

Scotch broth is a thick Soup with barley [spelt] and vegetables with almost any meat and can be carried in a flask.

Rice pudding with lots of nutmeg and vanilla is still a recipe that has passed the test of time, we love the stuff. Anything with custard like the Christmas fav of Trifle.

Curry is the No. 1 favourite food in the UK, so we can steal that too. There are lots of Keema ones made with minced meat. I make a lot of Tarka dhal with red lentils

Have a great time

17 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

I think colcannon would be good with maybe baby spinach or a more tender cabbage! My first thought when I read your post is a shepherd's pie. The ground meat and tender veggies would be perfect for soft foods, it's on my list to make as soon as I hit that stage because I think it'll be perfect in little ramekins! Or a Guinness stew!

ETA: My partner who is from New Zealand and has eaten a fair amount of that sort of food says black pudding if you want to be really authentic! LOL

Yes he's so correct, I had black pudding for my tea [ evening meal]

Soups, stews, potato topped pies will be your friends.

Irish stew - if you can get lamb or mutton and braise slowly with the usual veg - plus or minus potatoes of various types.

Beef shin with Guinness or red wine and root veg.

Shepherds pie (sorry @summerseeker the clue is in the name!!) is lamb mince based. Cottage pie is beef based.

Absolutely yes to potato OR cauli based colcannon.

Fish pie.

Chicken/mushroom and gravy pie.

Wow, thanks everyone! I'll definitely look those up. I think I will try making something before the day, to see how my pouch handles it. Great suggestions!! 💖

Edited by Wildflower Bohême

I had never heard of colcannon before. Sounds amazing and now I want to try it :)