Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you do it?

I finally realized that I HATED being fat. Ive had tons of "moments" but I really just got sick of hating myself the way I was.

I found the band while researching the bypass and I literally found the answer.

It was truly an epiphany. I am so grateful that I stumbled onto it.

I think for me it was dawning, slowly but surely, I was starting to hide out at home. I was embarrassed to be seen in pubic, and I couldn't wear anything that even felt like I might be attactive.

The double chin starting to look like a triple and I just couldn't bear to look in a mirror anymore.

I coudln't let anyone see any of me uncovered and I coudn't think of how I would even begin to think another diet might work. Desperation and "last chance".

There are two defining moments for me:

1. I went to an amusement park this summer with my 12 year old son. He wanted me to go on a roller coaster with him. While in line I discovered that I exceeded the weight limit (by alot).

2. My husband and I were getting our photo taking together for our business cards. I couldn't figure out why the photographer was taking so long to take our picture. When he showed us our photos on the computer it was then that I realized he couldn't completely fit me in the picture. Half my of left side is completely cut out. To make matters worse, while developing the photos, the photagrapher and another clerk were laughing at the pictures right in front of me.

I get banded on 12/26 and can't wait!

Jenn

It's amazing how all of these stories are different for each of us but yet we can probably all relate very well.

Wasa thanks for that link, I was trying to find something like that before I started this thread.

All of these stories are so signifigant, touching and just heart wrenching...seriously I am teary...Love Lana

what made me do it is merely for health reasons i have been over weight my entire life and now that im older and the profession i work in back pain and and from family history of diabetes stroke and so forth i didnt want that. so i researched it for 4 years into weight loss surgery. i finally got and insurace to pay for it. i did it. the only perks that i really love with the outcome this is i can wear normal clothes again.

WOW! These reasons are all so moving. My last straw or moving reason to decide to do this were:

1. My health. Diabetes runs in my family. My grandmother, aunt and mother all died from complications of diabetes. I had my kids in my 30s and I was gestational diabetic with both pregnancies.

2. My kids. I want to see them grow up and I'd like to know my grandchildren. My mother didn't get a chance to meet mine.

Well to be honest with you, I went to a family funeral back in the earlier part of the year and was the thinnest woman there. When I saw cousins, who were my age, that were 500lbs +. I guess that I simply didn't want to keep up with the family norms!

And, my family health history is an utter disaster. My maternal and paternal grandparents and my parents all have high blood pressure. My paternal grandfather died of a massive heart attack at age 57. My mother, paternal grandmother, and maternal grandmother had low or non-functioning thyroids (my paternal g-ma actually developed stones in hers and it was surgically removed), My paternal grandmother had Type I Diabetes and my mother has Type II. Let's see, the whole family has arthritis and, my maternal grandmother and mother are susceptible to gout.

SO, while I have low blood sugar, low blood pressure and no pain from arthritis, etc, I decided now was the time. I was encouraged by two dear friends who both have have had it, not to mention two friends at church, also. In other words, I want to be happy and healthy for the duration of a long, fruitful life! ;)

I had 3 things make me do it.

-In May, one of my great aunts died and when I went to the funeral, another great aunt was so morbidly obese that she was riding on a motorized chair and she had a tank of oxygen with her that she couldn't breathe without. She had developed diabetes in the last couple of years. All I could think was, I don't ever want to get to that.

-In July, I started becoming envious of my best friend (not in a mean-spirited way) because she could wear the clothes I could only dream of wearing. I wished I could rock the Famous Stars and Straps tees and the cute tank tops, but I knew they wouldn't be flattering on me. She was always so supportive of me pursuing the lap-band, so her support was a big factor as well.

-Sometime around the spring, I came across a show on TLC or A&E where they profiled individuals who were so morbidly obese that they were unable to leave their homes and care for themselves. The one story that really scared me was this man who laid in bed all day it seemed and his family would come over to cook for him, and they said they couldn't cook healthy and reasonable portions because he would refuse to eat it and then just order take-out from his room. It was just eye-opening.

Those were it for me.

I watched my mother and sister get the band 3 years ago, and thought i didnt need that, i could control my weight. That and i didn't have insurance to pay for it anyways.

After trying my best for the past 3 years to at least stay the same, i actually GAINEd weight and I knew i had to do something..

Talked ot my hubby, took out a personal loan and went to the doctor.

The pricetag to be thin for me is priceless. IF this works and keeps the weight off, its worth every penny and more.

5 years ago my husband and I adopted a sibling group of 5 children the youngest being 2 years old (our older 3 children are gown). I am now close to 51 and have a 7-11-14-16-17 year olds, I need to stay healthy I need to be here for my children. If my weight continues there is a strong possibility I will develop health issues that will effect not only my life but my families.

5 years ago my husband and I adopted a sibling group of 5 children the youngest being 2 years old (our older 3 children are gown). ...

Wow. I am seriously and sincerely impressed.

And you are right, your health is a big huge issue now not just for you but your family.

5 years ago my husband and I adopted a sibling group of 5 children the youngest being 2 years old (our older 3 children are gown). I am now close to 51 and have a 7-11-14-16-17 year olds, I need to stay healthy I need to be here for my children. If my weight continues there is a strong possibility I will develop health issues that will effect not only my life but my families.

You and your husband are angels on earth!!

I didnt have one defining moment but I had just started gaining back weight from a diet ( again) and I thought I just couldnt handle (mentally) doing that again. I started praying that God would just help me to take control of my life. Well I wake up one morning, and I tell my husband, " I know your truck is 8 years old and we will have to get you a new one soon but when its paid off I want a lap band. Im very cheap and I couldnt believe that I had made that decision. Well my husband says " Baby my truck is fine theres nothing wrong with it. GEt your band first" I cried because hes almost as cheap as I am. I really feel like God just took me through it.WEll less then month later (Voila!!!) I have a band.