Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you do it?

Ok I have been researching the band for a bit now and finally had my consult with the doc earlier this month. I had been going between so excited to totally freaking out about this. Well getting my lil report back from the doc that day really clinched it for me. Reading that I have 130 lbs of fat on me when my husband doesn't even weigh that much did it for me! So I'm just wondering if anyone else out there had that moment when something really struck them and made their decision and if so what did it for you?

I am also in a same situation planing to have my surgery early next year and hoping to lose 100 poundsssssssss

What did it for me was excrutiating back pain at merely walking a few steps. And hating the fact that i would wait till it was dark outside to walk to the curb to the mail box so that no one would see me and huffed an puffed the entire short distance.

There used to be a thread called "What was your last straw" It had kind of the same info....

My last straw was the doc saying you are pre-diabetic! I went to a seminar, left thinking i do not need surgery, I can so this myself and came back 3 months with an extra 10 lbs!

It has been the best decision I have ever made!!!!

I wore a new dress to work one day, going to an important meeting, only to have a co-worker point out that the dress was coming apart at the seams, literally!! It was a beautiful dress and I ended up crying all day about it (I should say sobbing!)

Than I realized my blood pressure had been climbing for a year (was 144/92 at the end), my knees were totally shot, and my pants were also ripping out at the seams! (I think I kept my seamstress in spending $ by mending my seams constantly).

When I studied about this surgery, my greatest thought was "This surgery was MADE for ME!" I ate properly, but severely needed help with portion control...

All this AND the fact that my husband was so-o-o-o supportive for me! :rolleyes:

I haven't had surgery yet (waiting insurance approval right now), but what clinched the decision for me was stepping on the scale to see 286 lbs, staring down my 40th birthday, and knowing that both my dad and his dad had Type II diabetes (and both died from complications of the disease). I know if I don't do this I WILL end up with diabetes, and I don't want my family to have to go through that again.

~Amy

Yes, I was reading a book about "grace". The grace of God, etc. It said in there that if you need help with one area of your life you should seek it. I called my surgeon the next day. It was a sign. I had lost 40 lbs on my own but it had stalled. I had lapband surgery June 6, 2006 and I'm 30 lbs from goal. Good luck to you!

I am self pay and I finally realized that I was letting my self down constantly. I would say, "when I get to 200 pounds I am going to serious" then 200 would come and go, only to be replaced by another number.

I have some disposable income so I would just keep buying and buying clothes so that I never got uncomfortable. (now this comes in handy as I am not having to buy new things as I make my way down the scale.)

The last straw for me was a business trip where I was miserable in the airlines' center seat. I was so miserable for 4 hours straight with nothing to take my mind off of the reality. I will never forget it. Once I landed, I called my husband and told him what I was going to do. Two weeks later I was banded and I just wish I would have been smarter, sooner.

Love the band!!!

What helped me in my decision, was watching a friend get banded, and in a year and half she lost 130 pounds. All this as I watched and gained and got more miserable.

I am so grateful to this friend. Now, I am down over 100 pounds and will enjoy a bottle of wine together soon to Celebrate being at goal.

Cheers.

I wanted to live long enough to be an aggravation to my children!! With high sugar/blood pressure and blook clots I had to do SOMETHING!! It has been a difficult journey-and I lost my band on Nov 27--and had a gastric bypass on the same day...can't go through being fat at this age!! Lost 133# with the band and am sure the rny will help me lose the last 30 lbs...I have never felt better!! If you are having trouble with the band act on it immediately!!! It could cause permanent damage to the esophagus!! No more heartburn for me!!

What made up my mine was when I was walking around the Mall and my back started hurting I was like what the F$@# This had never happen to me before I couldn't finish the shopping trip because of the pain.:angry

I decided to get the band about 4 or 5 weeks ago, I am currently waiting but in this process of waiting, my denial is melting and I am realizing that I really need to lose about 80 or 90 pounds. I bought my son a weight (100lbs)set for Christmas that mind you I can't even MOVE... so my brain is making that connection to where I want to be, why I am not there and why the hell I have been in so much F***ing PAIN. It just saddens me terribly. Can YOU lift 100lbs????

My "moment" happened at my regular doctor's office. They only had a scale that could measure up to 250 for the longest time. So, I didn't know how much I weighed for years. I kept telling myself that for sure it wasn't much over that. So, one day I was in there for a regular appointment just as the scale-guy was installing a new scale. My doc asked if I'd like to try it out because it was upgraded to be able to weigh up to 400 pounds. I agreed, thinking it was not going to be a big shocker. Well....396. I about passed out. Only 4 stinkin' pounds away from not fitting on their brand new scale again. I left that appointment and called my local bariatric center within an hour!!!!! Plus, just like everyone else. My back was KILLING me.

I think I first really thought about it when the owner of my mechanic shop who weighed almost 400 pounds weighed less than me after gastric bypass surgery. He now weighs 177 pounds! He is a completely different person now! Another thing that drove me crazy was when my stomach got so big that I was always pulling up my pants because they would settle under the belly and the only tops I could wear were tunic style to cover my belly! Oh and having people give me dirty looks when I sat next to them on an air plane (thank god I never had to get a seat belt extender!)