Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc gave me a restaurant discount card

I thought they were kidding when they told me they have a discount card for me. It's an actual card that says I'm a bariatric surgery patient ,and as a result of having a small stomach,I can only eat small quantities. Please let her adjust her portions and price it accordingly . We haven't gone out to eat in over 10 years , but I think I'd feel silly using it !

Have you gotten one ?

No, not really a thing here in Australia, though I am aware of some people being given a card. Pretty sure I wouldn't use it if given one.

I generally choose a smaller meal if they are on the menu. When I order a standard meal I eat what I feel satisfied with and leave the rest. Occasionally I will ask for a container to take the rest home.

we were offered them, but I didn't take one. Here, the card said you could order off the kids' menu since you'd had bariatric surgery. The thing is, most items on kids' menus are either awful or not bariatric-friendly (e.g., chicken nuggets, hotdogs, PB&J sandwiches). No thanks. When we went out (at least when I was fairly early out - I can eat most things now), I'd just order an appetizer (like shrimp cocktail) or a bowl of Soup. Also, keep in mind that although some restaurants will honor the cards, others won't - and they're under no obligation to do so.

There are comparable ones you can pull from the interwebs. It's pure nonsense in my opinion. Why should my choice to eat less, and let's face it this is exactly what surgery is, be a restaurant's problem? When we ate less with a normal diet, was that a reason to get a discount?

The other point is restaurants are unlikely to accept the card. It's something they are not a party to creating.

Personally, the thought of making my surgery an issue in a restaurant with strangers is something I would ever do. Again, it's my business.

I know not everyone agrees with me. It's OK, it's why Baskin's makes 31 flavors. But I believe we just need to work out following our plan without making it other peoples' problem. Somewhat like a recovering alcoholic not forcing everyone around them not to drink.

Besides, early on leftovers can be wonderous things. The right full price appetizer can cover days of meals. The right meal even longer.

Here I am 20+ years later and it's a long time since I bothered with leftovers. It's easier just to eat what my plan says and leave the rest. It's been this way since before I hit goal.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

I wasn’t given one, but would not use it, even if I was.

1) why broadcast how and why I eat the way I do to people who likely don’t really care.

2) just because u have a piece of paper saying u deserve a discount, doesn’t mean the establishment is going to. in the vein of what @The Greater Fool said above, if I was pregnant and “eating for two”, should I be offered a two-for-one meal?

3) leftovers are awesome.

…but I get how others would be ok with showing such a card. To each their own ❤️

I got one. Haven't used it yet. But I'm not ruling it out. Especially if I see a tasty Senior meal somewhere that looks good and costs me less.

PXL_20230617_162947948.MP[793].jpg

That wasn't a thing here, and I am kind of glad... I will stick to taking my left overs home and have 3 meals for 1. I think the only part I ever feel bad about is when they think I didn't eat because I didn't like it.

I've never heard of that, but I'd never use it even if I had. Why should the restaurant change the price of things because we eat less? When we go out, I order the smallest size available and bring the rest home. I can eat steak and steamed veggies from Texas Roadhouse for 2-3 days for the price of 1 meal. I'd rather have that then use that weird card.

You can buy a card like that from the Bariatric Pal Store, but I would never use one (even if I got it for free). I have t even told my family that I got WLS, so I’m certainly not going to tell a server in a restaurant. I’m almost 3 years out now, so I can eat reasonable portions (especially meals that are mostly vegetables, like salads), and I can usually find something on the menu that works for me, and/or take home leftovers.

I rarely have any desire to order from the children’s menu because they usually have unappealing and often not-very-healthy food, but I have done so on occasion — for example, I went to a BBQ restaurant and wanted ribs, but not a half rack, so I ordered the child’s plate with 2 ribs and and 2 small sides, which was the same food as the regular menu but a smaller portion (and much cheaper). I just asked nicely and they didn’t require an explanation or card or anything.

Post surgery when I did go out to eat ( rarely) I told my companion to order two meals for themselves. I'm only going to be able to pick on one of them and I don't want to waste food taking it home. Has worked very well for me and my dining companions.

I have no qualms about using a bariatric card or a coupon (heaven forbid) in a restaurant. Do you know that the markup value of a meal is 300% or more? Then you are expected to tip at 20% on that overpriced meal? That's so the owner doesn't have to pay the waitress salary. They are making a killing on us so we can enjoy the ambiance and 2T of food. Believe me they are not losing any money on kid's meals or senior prices.

And I could give a flip less who knows I had surgery. I was invisible to those strangers before. Now I guess they'll see me. 👀

On 6/17/2023 at 8:55 AM, KathyLev said:

I thought they were kidding when they told me they have a discount card for me. It's an actual card that says I'm a bariatric surgery patient ,and as a result of having a small stomach,I can only eat small quantities. Please let her adjust her portions and price it accordingly . We haven't gone out to eat in over 10 years , but I think I'd feel silly using it !

Have you gotten one ?

I have one also but that doesnt mean a restaurant will charge you a lower price. If they dont have any smaller options for me, i will get the normal size and then bring some to lunch the next day, and give the rest to my husband to eat for his lunch. Certain restaurant kids menu are better than others. Texas Roadhouse has grilled chicken tenders on their kids menu. I usually order that with broccoli or carrots instead of fries. You will learn what restaurants will accommodate you. I stick to those restaurants that have something on the kids menu besides maccaroni and cheese or fried chicken tenders!

On 6/17/2023 at 12:45 PM, SuziDavis said:

That wasn't a thing here, and I am kind of glad... I will stick to taking my left overs home and have 3 meals for 1. I think the only part I ever feel bad about is when they think I didn't eat because I didn't like it.

Or when they keep trying to take your plate because you have to eat slow and they think you are done!!!

6 hours ago, NCL04321 said:

Or when they keep trying to take your plate because you have to eat slow and they think you are done!!!

Yes, that too!

I would feel way more comfortable asking the server if I could order off the kids menu because I had surgery than busting out a medical card that announces that I am a bariatric patient and can't eat their regular meals. Seems passive aggressive haha