Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 7/19/2023 at 8:02 PM, Faith23 said:

I had my surgery on JUly 3rd. No complications at all. I've lost 15 lbs so far and have been stuck for a few days at that loss. I am so afraid I am not going to lose anymore. Prayers to all who are beginning this journey.

Hi, I had surgery on July 6, I have lost 13 lbs. For the last 4 days I have been the same weight or the scale has been fluctuating up and down by ~a pound. I hope to start losing again soon. I am still on the liquid diet, I will be moving to pureed on day 21. Good luck to all.

Finally. Surgery day is here! God, I can't do this without You.

I completed my 14-day clear liquid sugar-free and caffeine-free diet along with some Protein Drinks. I didn't cheat once. That in itself is a miracle! I've lost 10 lbs. during this time, and 25 lbs. overall (since January 1st). I was placed on prednisone (steroid) twice this past Spring, which set me back. It causes. much weight gain whenever I'm on it and it takes many weeks to get the weight off. So as I was losing, I'd gain weight while on that medication. So frustrating, but it's behind me, hopefully forever.

These two weeks really prepared my mind for this journey moving forward. I will work to continue strengthening this new mindset. Not easy, right? I appreciate the input this forum - you beautiful people - has provided. I hope optimal health and strong minds for you all.

Onward! 💟

Praying for you, @Midwest Grateful! Praying for no complications and a speedy recovery!

Hi, July Buddies! I'm sorry I haven't been posting or replying for a few weeks; I'm bad at keeping up with social media. But I have been thinking about you all and praying for your surgeries to go well!

My July 12 surgery went well with no complications. I'm still finding it hard to get enough liquids in throughout the day. I've been averaging like 30 ounces a day. Even though my mouth is constantly thirsty, my stomach feels uncomfortably full all the time. Fighting thoughts of feeling like a failure. I want to get up and do more, but my one attempt at a short grocery trip made me break out in a sweat, and I'm worried about dehydration.

I'm finally on the last day of 2 weeks of twice-daily Lovenox self-injections and I want to throw a party. Anyone else have to do this? I bruise more easily than fruit so these have been more painful than my incisions. But of course bruises are far less deadly than blood clots, so I'm trying to be thankful for the medicine that hurts me.

I had my surgery yesterday. Took longer than usual due to a hernia that kept making it harder for the robotics to reach my stomach. Still a successful surgery. Right after surgery had a lot of nausea and dry heaves but those went away pretty quickly. They’re in the process of sending me home now -yay! - about 25 hours post surgery. Very little pain and I had a cup of chicken broth this morning. Water is my challenge but always has been. Looking forward to getting home and moving ahead!!

9 hours ago, LibrarianErin said:

Hi, July Buddies! I'm sorry I haven't been posting or replying for a few weeks; I'm bad at keeping up with social media. But I have been thinking about you all and praying for your surgeries to go well!

My July 12 surgery went well with no complications. I'm still finding it hard to get enough liquids in throughout the day. I've been averaging like 30 ounces a day. Even though my mouth is constantly thirsty, my stomach feels uncomfortably full all the time. Fighting thoughts of feeling like a failure. I want to get up and do more, but my one attempt at a short grocery trip made me break out in a sweat, and I'm worried about dehydration.

I'm finally on the last day of 2 weeks of twice-daily Lovenox self-injections and I want to throw a party. Anyone else have to do this? I bruise more easily than fruit so these have been more painful than my incisions. But of course bruises are far less deadly than blood clots, so I'm trying to be thankful for the medicine that hurts me.

Glad to hear from you Erin! I get not spending a lot of time on social media. I feel the same way. I’m a little concerned about your Fluid intake. Does your doctor know you are struggling? If not, maybe you should reach out. I understand it though. I am getting 64 oz in, but it is something I have to focus on all day.

i was lucky enough to only need Lovenox while in the hospital. Sorry, you had to deal with that at home but way to think positively about it.

8 hours ago, Kim M said:

I had my surgery yesterday. Took longer than usual due to a hernia that kept making it harder for the robotics to reach my stomach. Still a successful surgery. Right after surgery had a lot of nausea and dry heaves but those went away pretty quickly. They’re in the process of sending me home now -yay! - about 25 hours post surgery. Very little pain and I had a cup of chicken broth this morning. Water is my challenge but always has been. Looking forward to getting home and moving ahead!!

Kim, I’m so glad things went well for you! I had a hernia too. I’m hoping the repair will keep reflux away.
Get lots of rest at home and focus on the Water. Good luck!

13 hours ago, Midwest Grateful said:

Finally. Surgery day is here! God, I can't do this without You.

I completed my 14-day clear liquid sugar-free and caffeine-free diet along with some Protein Drinks. I didn't cheat once. That in itself is a miracle! I've lost 10 lbs. during this time, and 25 lbs. overall (since January 1st). I was placed on prednisone (steroid) twice this past Spring, which set me back. It causes. much weight gain whenever I'm on it and it takes many weeks to get the weight off. So as I was losing, I'd gain weight while on that medication. So frustrating, but it's behind me, hopefully forever.

These two weeks really prepared my mind for this journey moving forward. I will work to continue strengthening this new mindset. Not easy, right? I appreciate the input this forum - you beautiful people - has provided. I hope optimal health and strong minds for you all.

Onward! 💟

Good luck!

I had surgery the 18th. So far all is good. I’m eating purée food. Look forward to having solids. The only thing is my incisions are itchy 😁😁. Trying not to scratch. 😁😁.

I had mine on the 17th. I started eating purée as well but it’s causing me pain. Is anyone one else having this issue. I am still not able to get all my 64 oz of Water and Protein. I talk to my dietitian nutritionist she was planes going to take small bites small sips, and I thought that’s what I’ve been doing but some thing still doesn’t feel right. Do anyone have any good suggestions on what to do or have anybody else have been experiencing is just wondering any tips will help

12 hours ago, LibrarianErin said:

Hello @LibrarianErin, you’re not a failure, you are trying your best. This is a major surgery and it is going to take time for both mind and body to adjust! You got this!! :))

I also struggle to get my liquids for the day and I recommend nectar daily hydration Water packets as adding it to a water bottle multiplies the intake (1 oz is 2; 2oz is 4 etc) which has helped me reach my water goal without having to drink that much to where my stomach feels uncomfortable! It also helps with that dry mouth feeling as it works fast in terms of hydration. (I added it to my gatorade on days I couldn’t stomach water) There are other brands but this brand is 0 calories and sugar free which I find to be very bariatric friendly! And they have a variety pack so you can try different flavors.

May you have brighter days ahead! ☀️

On 7/25/2023 at 7:24 PM, RedE2goAimee said:

Glad to hear from you Erin! I get not spending a lot of time on social media. I feel the same way. I’m a little concerned about your Fluid intake. Does your doctor know you are struggling? If not, maybe you should reach out. I understand it though. I am getting 64 oz in, but it is something I have to focus on all day.

i was lucky enough to only need Lovenox while in the hospital. Sorry, you had to deal with that at home but way to think positively about it.

Yes, I've been in touch with the doctor and dietitian about the Fluid intake. They said it's normal to struggle the first few weeks and that as long as I'm not feeling dizzy or faint or having dark urine (which I'm not) then it's not dangerous. I tried warm tea yesterday evening for the first time post-op and that was easier to sip frequently, so I'm going to incorporate tea into my daily intake.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:29 PM, Clary said:

Hello @LibrarianErin, you’re not a failure, you are trying your best. This is a major surgery and it is going to take time for both mind and body to adjust! You got this!! :))

I also struggle to get my liquids for the day and I recommend nectar daily hydration Water packets as adding it to a water bottle multiplies the intake (1 oz is 2; 2oz is 4 etc) which has helped me reach my Water goal without having to drink that much to where my stomach feels uncomfortable! It also helps with that dry mouth feeling as it works fast in terms of hydration. (I added it to my gatorade on days I couldn’t stomach water) There are other brands but this brand is 0 calories and sugar free which I find to be very bariatric friendly! And they have a variety pack so you can try different flavors.

May you have brighter days ahead! ☀️

Thank you, @Clary! I need that reminder that I'm not a failure. I was thinking about hydration packets but didn't know where to start. I'll look into nectar, thank you!

Hi all. I had surgery July 13th. Some days I feel like my porch isn’t working. Day 12 post op was the first day that I was hungry but I have also been having menstrual bleeding since day 2 post op. I known I shouldn’t rely on the scale but this week I didn’t loose much of anything. I know everybody journey is different but I’ve seen where people loose 20 pounds and I’m no where near that. It’s a lil disheartening. I follow up with surgeon tomorrow. I am focusing on hitting close to my Protein goal. Although getting the fluids in has been challenging. I am working at it. Any advice would be appreciated.

pre surgery weight 262

Edited by Ashley Amari

On 7/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, Chewchew46 said:

I had mine on the 17th. I started eating purée as well but it’s causing me pain. Is anyone one else having this issue. I am still not able to get all my 64 oz of Water and Protein. I talk to my dietitian nutritionist she was planes going to take small bites small sips, and I thought that’s what I’ve been doing but some thing still doesn’t feel right. Do anyone have any good suggestions on what to do or have anybody else have been experiencing is just wondering any tips will help

Hi, @Chewchew46, thanks for updating us. I think your dietitian said that because what you're going through is normal. If you mean you have pain like a stabbing pain, then that's not normal and you need to make that clear to your medical team. But if you mean pain like feeling uncomfortably full, bloated, like a muscle cramp but not in your muscles, that kind of thing, then that's normal. I think of it like this - the incisions on my skin that I can see are not healed 15 days out, so all those stitches inside my internal stomach aren't healed either. So of course it's going to be uncomfortable to have food and liquid touching my healing stomach.

You might try different kinds of pureed food. My stomach likes refried Beans, Silk Greek yogurt, and canned chicken breast pureed with a bit of light mayo. It sometimes likes hard boiled eggs pureed with mayo, but not first thing in the morning. It's not a fan of ground beef pureed with Tomato sauce or pureed banana.

I'm only managing about 30 ounces of liquid a day, but my team says that's normal and ok as long as I don't have dehydration symptoms like dizziness or dark urine.

You got this!