Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to start exercising. I got my surgery at the end of October 2022 but I’m scared of exercising because I still don’t take enough Protein or Water and I get tired easily. How did you guys start? Or what exercises do you do? Any suggestions?

Hi, are you taking Protein supplements to meet your intake? Very important when exercising for muscle repair as well as the fluids.

I started by walking a few days, then switched to HIIT and currently doing a program by a trainer. There are many videos on youtube and pinterest that you can do.

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I started walking pretty much as soon as I got home from the hospital. At a month out, I was cleared to do everything except for weights (had to wait eight weeks for that), so I was back doing Water aerobics (at about four weeks out)

the above poster is right, though - it's pretty important to get enough Protein if you're going to start exercising (actually, it's pretty important even if you're NOT exercising!). Do you still do Protein Shakes? A lot of people give them up once they can get their protein requirements met by food, but if you're one who can't, there's that option. Also, six months is a long time to go without meeting your protein and Fluid requirements - that's usually just an issue for people the first couple of months. You may want to let your clinic know about that....

Very important to get your Protein & fluids in. Focus on eating your protein first, then any vegetables you’re allowed & are able then if you are able any allowed carbs. There were plenty of meals where I ate only my protein because I didn’t need or want to eat anything else. (In fact I still do this - yesterday I had prawns for lunch just prawns, not even a sauce.)

If you don’t enjoy the shakes (I certainly didn’t) find alternatives like a high protein yoghurt (you can make it into a drink by blending with milk - protein & fluids), protein waters, add unflavoured protein powders to other foods or drinks. I drink through the night & take a drink every time I get in & out of bed & get in another good cup (8oz) of Water in. Keep water or other Fluid with you always. Develop routines like every time I get in or out of my car I drink, drink at every red light. It all adds up.

I got my surgery Sept 2022 & started working out 3 months later but I was up on my fluids & Protein intake. But you should definitely prioritize working on your protein & Water intake. It will help the pounds shed off just as much as working out would & you wouldn't feel as weak.

i started walking the evening of surgery.

started with walking the hospital halls, to a couple loops around my kitchen island, to a walk down the street, to around the block, to several times around the block, to an hour of walking around that darn block, lol.

By 3 months post op i started trying out other things (dance, yoga, zumba, boudlering, swimming, running). Only running and yoga stayed in the regular rotation. i did dabble with strength training for a bit, but i hate it, so i only did it as a necessary evil for a couple years. i don't do it anymore (surprise, surprise!).

PRO Tip: find something you actually like to do and you will more likely stick with it.

Good Luck! ❤️

All I've done since surgery is walking. 5-10 minutes, starting out, to help prevent blood clots. Second week I increased my time to 15 then progressively increased it to 30. 7 weeks out I shoot for 5xs a week. I don't push myself to power walk. Just leisurely. Now that the weather is nice, I walk outside instead of on my treadmill. I really enjoy the sunshine.

Also, I try to drink/eat Protein as soon as I'm done. The "Golden Hour" is within 45-60 minutes immediately after exercise when your muscles absorb nutrients more so than any other time of the day.

Eventually I want to start weights and buy a Rogue air bike.

Walking was my main thing until they cleared me for normal routine. Then stretching. Then rowing. Then stability. Then core and back... LOTS of core and back! Then weights.

Set goals, stay hydrated, wear earbuds, have fun.

When you're able to, I can't stress the importance of stretching, and getting our core and back in order, enough. It makes every single thing so much easier.