Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SLOWER WEIGHT LOSS

Hi, I had VSG on 2/1/23. I'm down 27 pounds so far since then. I've had a stall of about 4 weeks. But back to losing. Prior to surgery when I started this process I changed my eating habits. It was 19 months from beginning to surgery. Anyway, I lost 52 lbs during that period so I'm down 79 pounds so far. I just thought I'd lose it quicker at first after surgery. I started out at 347, down to 266. I'm pleased with where this is going but thought it would be more, anybody share their 2 month loss? Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-S901U using BariatricPal mobile app

I started at 373 lbs and lost 16 lbs the first month, and then about 10 lbs (give or take a couple of lbs) per month for about six months after that. Then it gradually dropped. After the first year, there were months when I only lost about 2 lbs. I ultimately lost over 200 lbs, 100% of my excess weight.

people lose at different rates for all different reasons, many of which you have little or no control over - such as age, gender, starting BMI, your percentage of muscle, your metabolic rate, various genetic factors. The two factors you DO have control over are your activity level and how closely you follow your clinic's food plan. If you do well with those, you'll lose the weight, whether fast or slow. In the end, your success depends on how compliant you are with the program, not how fast or slow you lose the weight.

In the first 2 months I lost 32 pounds after surgery. At my size, age and disability, I knew my losses would be slower than than a fit, young person with a active lifestyle. My team told me I would l loose for 18 months to 2 years after surgery. Its a bit like the tale of the hare and the tortoise, we all get to the end of the race , some take longer than others

You seem to be doing good. What does your team say?

The first month I lost 30 pounds. Then I hit a stall. Now at 11 months out, I lose around 8-10 pounds per month. But I have more shape and definition in my body, a lot of excess skin, I'm way healthier and stronger, and as long as I don't gain, I'm happy. I've had some complications and I need to have a revision to the bypass, so I assume I'll lose the rest of my weight then. I just do what I can now. But it's normal to hit stalls and slow down losing weight.

There is no right or wrong rate of weight loss & it fluctuates week to week (or even day to day) as well. There isn’t a timeline in which you must lose your weight. We are all so different physiologically, psychologically & emotionally. We’re different ages, gender, heights & builds. We have different weight loss/gain histories as well as medical histories, health status.

If your team is happy with your rate of loss you have nothing to worry about.

Celebrate every pound you lose.

Everyone's journey is different, you will see those that started to loose fast at the beginning and slowed down, and others that were the opposite.

Surgery was end of month, so I count the calendar months to be easier. I lost 1st month 18.70 (including preop), 2nd month 17.4, but after it has been 8-10 per month. I did review my diet and cleaned it up a little and added exercise so I think this month will be different.

Edited by NP_WIP

Oh yeah month 2 was much slower for me than month 1. It was difficult but people reassured me it was normal & it helped make me feel better. Stick to the plan & you WILL lose!

to your question:

i lost 22 lbs first month after surgery, and 17 lbs the second month. after that it was roughly 10lbs per month until goal. lost a few more lbs while i figured out how to eat "normally" again, gained back a few, lost, gained the same few lbs, etc.

today am still sitting below goal weight (i had surgery 4.5 yrs ago.

but keep in mind i was 235 at start. lost 11 or so lbs during 2-wk pre-op, and am barely 5'2" tall.

its may or may not be ur experience. but one thing for sure, stick with ur program and we all end up in the same place eventually.

good luck! ❤️

Hi, I had VSG on 2/1/23. I'm down 27 pounds so far since then. I've had a stall of about 4 weeks. But back to losing. Prior to surgery when I started this process I changed my eating habits. It was 19 months from beginning to surgery. Anyway, I lost 52 lbs during that period so I'm down 79 pounds so far. I just thought I'd lose it quicker at first after surgery. I started out at 347, down to 266. I'm pleased with where this is going but thought it would be more, anybody share their 2 month loss? Thanks [emoji4]
Sent from my SM-S901U using BariatricPal mobile app

Sure. First, the "everyone is different" caveat lol (different starting weight, different genes... Etc) But to your question, I lost ~16 my first month, and ~9 lbs my second and third month. Then 6 to 8 lbs a month till goal. Then after goal, while trying to figure out my maintenance level I lost 4 to 5 lbs a month for the next 5 months, then 1 to 2 lbs for a few more.