Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GBP exhaustion and shortness of breath When does the exhaustion and brain fog and weakness get better?

I am post op 15 days and nearly passed out from exhaustion and weakness trying to visit friends! When does this get better? I can’t think and have no energy!! Help!

I am post op 15 days and nearly passed out from exhaustion and weakness trying to visit friends! When does this get better? I can’t think and have no energy!! Help!

I was same and had been on blood pressure medication. That was stopped and by week 3 i started to feel alive again. Week 4 I'm flying. Be nice to yourself take it easy.

Sent from my SM-A515F using BariatricPal mobile app

It can be a rough ride in the first few months. Be really kind to yourself, this a a big surgery and we need time to adjust to all the new things we need to learn. The anaesthetic makes you feel spaced out for a while

Once I got to the liquid goals, I felt incredibly so much better. Then as @Happy with two says I came off my BP meds too. This stopped me feeling dizzy.

It took me a few months to get to enough calories inside me so that I had energy to do my daily chores. I am not a spring chicken. Little by little, my calories increased and I could do more. I always carry a Protein Bar and a drink when I am out. At times my energy levels still drop and I get a glass of milk or a skinny latte and a Protein bar to get me through. Listen to your own body, rest as much as you can, treat yourself like a princess for a while. This time will quickly pass and you will be flying along again

It does get better when you’re eating more & a more real food balanced diet. But when it will happen for you ant be predicted. There’s no specific timeline. And you may find it happens randomly for a few months after too.. Mine persisted for a couple of months. I found an electrolyte drink helpful & would take one with me if I knew I would be doing a little more that day or when I’d have to be more active. (I drank hydralyte & would dilute it as I found it too sweet.) Generally look at it as a sign to take it easy while you’re healing & your body is coming to terms with the changes.

Thanks so much! I am trying to consume more calories and I think I need to have my doctor revisit my BP meds maybe. I am dizzy often when I exert myself or even think too hard about moving fast!

On 4/6/2023 at 12:32 AM, Kels WG said:

SAME here! I'm 15 days post op as of today. I just emailed my doc yesterday asking about this. I find that my heart rate spikes with just a little energy expenditure. I can walk around the house fine, but going to the store, short walks, etc have me feeling so tired like I couldn't take another step. I'm stopping my blood pressure meds (as advised) to see if that's the culprit. I go back to work on Monday and am worried about my stamina to make it the 10+ hour days I normally do. 😕 My surgeon put in a note for the dietician to get in touch with me. Maybe it's that I'm only getting ~500 cals/day. I have NO hunger pangs, but get weak/tired so easily! I'll let you know what she says. :)

On 4/6/2023 at 12:32 AM, Kels WG said:

I'm 6 weeks out and have asked my doctor the very same thing!!! He said it was a major surgery and it can take "awhile." I'm a little disappointed in that answer because I feel like a bump on a log. Doing simple things is draining and I feel so foggy all of the time. I'm supposed to study for boards but I feel like I can barely think straight! I'm sorry you're experiencing this but I'm glad you mentioned it because I thought I was going crazy!