Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't believe my eyes, or is my scale wrong?

I had my RNY gastric bypass 8 days ago and I checked 2 nights ago and my scale said I was 347 and now I check and i'm 340? I just replaced the batteries and checked a few times and made sure to stand up straight. Am I trippin or is it possible to lose 7 lbs that quick?? I guess i'm just used to it taking like a month to lose that much.

Yes it's possible. I lost 30 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks when I first had the surgery. Just keep in mind, the larger you are, the more (and faster) you lose. BUT...that can also mean you'll hit more stalls (I hit one every time I lose more than 3 pounds in a week lol).

Hello and welcome to this site and the new you. I had a look back and I lost a pound a day too. I did a happy dance every day

It is definitely possible in the beginning but as mentioned you will also hit stalls which seem just as impossible because you won’t lose for days or even weeks when your calories are just as low. Also, the closer you get to normal the slower the loss will be so enjoy the quick loss ride while it lasts.

Is the scale broken? You'll be asking the same question in an amazingly short number of days when you don't lose an ounce for two or three weeks.

scales are not your friend. How would YOU feel if the people you know stepped all over you all the time? Exactly. The only way to make the scale your friend is to cuddle with it, keep it clean and shiny, tell it jokes, but never ever step on it.

Congratulations and good luck,

Tek

Keep in mind that 'weight loss' does not equal fat loss. I would be skeptical that you lost 7 pounds of fat in a week, but some fat, some Fluid, and possibly some muscle? Sure.

We wrongly think there are only 2 types of "stuff" in our bodies, the good stuff that never goes away and the bad stuff (fat), that we want to go away. It's a lot more complicated than that, and scales are just not a great way to really know what's going on inside your body. Unfortunately, scales are the tool most of us have, so we have to make due.

I guess my point is don't overthink what the scale is telling you in either direction. As soon as you hit a stall, you're going to start questioning if you're doing things "right", but you may be having the same issue with a scale not really telling you what you need to know regarding fat loss. If that happens, it's better to just stick to your program and remember that you're using a tool that's pretty lousy at measuring fat loss.

the number on the scale is notoriously finicky. I've been known to drop a good 2-3 lbs after a good poop.

How your clothes fit (or a tape measure to various body parts) is a good way to monitor body shrinkage. I had a pair of "goal jeans" that i kept trying on until they magically zipped up. But then they got too big that measuring myself against them was pointless. Now I have a pair of jeans that i wear that i refuse to size out of, so if they ever get too tight i know i'm going in the wrong direction.

BTW, Pro Tip for taking your body measurements (if you do that): Take a long 2-3 inch wide strip of paper (I used wrapping paper) and wrap it around whatever body part you are measuring. Mark the circumference on the paper and then measure the paper out with measuring tape. This way you minimize the margin of error due to measuring techniques.

I found this was the only way to properly measure my upper arm specifically because I was very inconsistent just using the measuring tape...like sometimes i would pull the tape too tight (which was a problem when my arm skin got really loose) or I would not be measuring in the same place every time.

Good Luck! ❤️

I agree with others. First, you'll likely lose pretty quickly the first month or two, and after that, it slows down quite a bit - but you'll continue to lose as long as you follow your program

secondly, weight fluctuates every day - Water retention, a full bowel, or even hormone levels can affect it. If it starts messing with your mind, just weigh once a week so you're looking more at long-term trends rather than daily fluctuations.

You lose weight VERY rapidly during your first month. I lost 25% of my excess body weight in the first month. You continue to lose rapidly (although more slowly) during your second month. Things slow down after that. But enjoy these first couple of months. It's very exciting to see the pounds drop so quickly!

I lost about 20 pounds in the first two weeks. Then, I had my first stall. It lasted nearly a month. The weight loss picked up again, but at a much more reasonable pace.

My typical pattern is: lose 3 pounds, gain 2 pounds, stall - repeat.