Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Citric Acid in drink mixes

Hey all! Still pre-op, but I was looking at buying Isopure's infusion whey Protein Powder to add to my Water for a Protein boost, and I noticed the third ingredient is citric acid. I looked around here and Google and people say citric acid is bad for our stomachs post surgery, but lots of people also say they drink crystal light, which like the first ingredient is citric acid.I looked at my post op meal plan paperwork and it says no acid liquids (specifically naming orange juice, Tomato juice, coffee, and tea) but then on the list of things I can have, it says I'm allowed sugar free crystal light. If they're saying crystal light is okay, Isopure's powder should be okay too, right?

Its fine. I had no issues with citric acid pre op or even post op.

20 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

Its fine. I had no issues with citric acid pre op or even post op.

Thank you!!

Avoid OJ and other fruit juices because they are practically liquid sugar. Whole fruit has Fiber which helps the body metabolize the natural carbohydrates, whereas fruit juices do not. Diet 5 Cranberry juice contains no sugar so it is an exception. V-8 and Tomato juice should be fine, but see how you react to them.

The citric acid may be one of those things (& there’ll be a few of them along the way) that you just have to try & see how you go. Have some alternative non citric acid things on hand just in case.

Certainly, you will already start producing excess acid post surgery in response to the surgery, the healing of your tummy, etc. (it’s why we’re usually prescribed a ppi to reduce the production for a couple of months). So there is the possibility adding an acidic food or drink to your diet may exacerbate the issue.

Edited by Arabesque

This is going to vary a lot from person to person...I was told to avoid citrus/tomato immediately following my surgery but I haven't had any issues with drink mixes.

I was drinking crystal light right away Post surgery without issue. Obviously follow the advise of your surgeon because you may be different for some reason that only they understand but I would ask them if it’s okay to try it and have if you can tolorate or if it’s just a no no, period.

The more that I think of it, they brought me crystal light in the hospital even. I did notice that the Lemonaide burned a little as it was going down so I stayed away from that for a while though but other flavors were fine.