Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Return to work question

I have a question for those that have had gastric sleeve surgery. . . I work from home - on a laptop - realistically, how many days do I need to ask off? I feel like I can easily sit at my desk or work from my bed if needed, why do I need to waste PTO days when all I'm doing is sitting anyway. Am I crazy? Am I just naive? Were you able to move around and sit at a desk a few days after surgery? Thank you in advance for your response.

I took 5 weeks but I have an active job. When I got out of the Hospital, I couldn’t drive for a week. Depending on how your doctor does your discharge instructions, you won’t feel like doing much for at least a week or so. When I was on the liquid diet, I was setting my phone timer every 15 minutes to drink liquids such as Protein Shakes from a medicine cup. That will take up your whole day. When you get to Puréed it will be more flexible

1 hour ago, DezignDiva said:

I have a question for those that have had gastric sleeve surgery. . . I work from home - on a laptop - realistically, how many days do I need to ask off? I feel like I can easily sit at my desk or work from my bed if needed, why do I need to waste PTO days when all I'm doing is sitting anyway. Am I crazy? Am I just naive? Were you able to move around and sit at a desk a few days after surgery? Thank you in advance for your response.

I only took off 10 days. Big mistake, even though I am also working from home. Yes, you may be able to move around I did but I really needed the rest and would fall asleep at my desk, in the middle of meetings, on the phone and with my hands still on the keyboard. (you get the idea) Also, when counting how much liquid I was getting I noticed that if things got hectic I would forget to take sips sometimes and had to try and play catch up so that is something to also be aware of. My doctors office never gave me a note and I think they forgot and I regret not asking and taking off the time I needed. Give it some thought about what you really want to do.

I work a desk job, and wound up taking 2 weeks off fully, and another week of half days. While the job is not strenuous physically, it is mentally taxing and I would have struggled taking on a full load immediately. I would not underestimate how physically taxing surgery can be on the body, while you are healing. I didn't have much pain, but I was physically exhausted and needed daily naps for the first month or so after surgery. You are also eating so little that concentrating on complex tasks can be tough. I will say, keeping to the schedule needed to get all my fluids and Protein felt like a full time job the first few weeks, and it did actually get tougher once I started working FT again, even from home. For example, once I got back to work, I had to worry about timing my puree stage Snacks and meals with phone calls, etc.

I would give yourself some grace. Maybe plan on two weeks off, but discuss with your job that it's possible you may return early - or may need more time. I think imbedding some flexibility into your plans is helpful. I originally planned on 2 weeks off, but was still so tired that the 3rd week I decided to do half days. I'd already prepped by job for the possibility and it made it easy. Honestly, everyone's recovery is different, so it's just smart in general to not count on being back to full strength. And if you are one of those that bounces back easily - great! I'm guessing your job wouldn't say no to you coming back early.

19 minutes ago, Candigrl1 said:

Also, when counting how much liquid I was getting I noticed that if things got hectic I would forget to take sips sometimes and had to try and play catch up so that is something to also be aware of.

This exactly! Once things get busy it is easy to miss that you didn't drink enough, and in the early months, you can't just "make it up" later in the day.

I have a "mostly" desk job, that could easily be made a 100% desk job.

I took 4 weeks off but went back @ 3 weeks part time, then by week 5 I was back to working normal hours at my normal efficiency but by the end of the day I was more tired than normal.

With that being said, by day 4/5 post op I was able to do just about anything except walk very long distances. I could bend, sit, lay, stand. I was doing small things around the house, going for short walks. Also, being lazy and doing nothing.

So, based on my experience I could probably work from home strictly on the computer after a week post op.

Everyone is different though, just listen to your body and do what you can.

My employer bends over backwards for me and basically let me come back at my own pace.

Maybe you could try it out for a day or 2 and then if needed take a few more days off and try again? If your employer would be willing to work with you in such a manor.

I had surgery Tuesday and was back to work Monday. I also work from home at a very idle desk job. By then I had very little pain or discomfort, but I was extremely tired. I had to take frequent breaks to rest, and took a nap after work every single day for at least the first week, maybe even a little longer. If your schedule/work load allows for a good bit of flexibility where you can step away and rest when needed, then you should be fine to go back pretty quickly. But if you have to keep a more rigid schedule, I would suggest taking a few extra days. And, as others have mentioned, those first few weeks getting in your fluids and Protein will be a full time job, so make sure you have the mental capacity to focus on that.

I am older, and while getting over the surgery was surprisingly easy, your body has been through a shock. You will get tired more easily, and "your nerves" as my mother used to say, may take a while as well. Look around the boards here. You will see people stressing over what some may consider as minor stuff...it isn't minor to them, but you may burst into tears over nothing. Take the time off. You will need it more than you may think. And there will always be those that will be cleaning house, baking a cake and cutting the grass the next week, putting us all to shame, lol..

It will depend on how you recover. For me it wasn’t so much the physicality of my job, though I was tired a lot, it was I couldn’t concentrate for long periods & my head would get doughy because of the low blood pressure. I went back to work part time after 4 weeks but the symptoms persisted for a few weeks longer.

Negotiate with your employer to see if you can return part time or at reduced hours if you need it & see how you go.

I scheduled 3 weeks off, thinking that I mightn't need all of it, but was really glad I did. I think I *could* have got back to work in the second week but I wouldn't have been even nearly back up to speed by then. I could have sat at my desk but I would absolutely NOT have been as on top of my work as I like to be. Everyone is different - if you can build some flexibility into your return to work then that might be the way to go. Best of luck - it's an amazing journey :1007_hearts:

I had an extended period of time off. I healed really fast BUT I had a little issue with passing out which they had to figure out. Once they took me off my medication I was fine and I went back after a month off.
if I didn’t have that issue? One of two weeks would have been sufficient