Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cake, ice cream, pizza…farewell forever?

nope. Once you're a few months out, restrictions will be lifted. There may be foods that you find your stomach won't be able to tolerate, but there will be no restrictions. I can eat all of those things - cake, pizza, sherbet - even real ice cream.

about 30% of bypassers "dump", so they have to limit their sugar intake (or for some, fat). But most dumpers I know can eat "some" sugar (or fat). 70% of us do not dump. I never have (unfortunately, I might add...if I did, it would have stopped me from eating that cup of ice cream last night (which is just an occasional treat for me now, but still...))

My plan allows ANYTHING in moderation. Always, getting Protein in first. I am a few days shy of 3 months post op.

I have had pizza, ordered but just a bite of crust and then ate the topping. I have also bought store crust and made homemade pizza, but still could only eat half of my serving when eating the crust.

I also had a couple bites of cake at my God daughters birthday party.

My bariatric nutritionist is all about a well balanced diet and treats in moderation. We have to realistic, no one is going to go their entire life without having a treat once in a while. He also has reviewed my diet at both of my follow ups and says I am right on.

I have lost 63 LBS since surgery so those 2 bites of cake didn't hurt anything! But I eat all healthy low fat meals 99.5% of the time.

nope. Once you're a few months out, restrictions will be lifted. There may be foods that you find your stomach won't be able to tolerate, but there will be no restrictions. I can eat all of those things - cake, pizza, sherbet - even real ice cream.
about 30% of bypassers "dump", so they have to limit their sugar intake (or for some, fat). But most dumpers I know can eat "some" sugar (or fat). 70% of us do not dump. I never have (unfortunately, I might add...if I did, it would have stopped me from eating that cup of ice cream last night (which is just an occasional treat for me now, but still...))
This is true. I'm 4 months post of from bypass. I dumped once after eating honey butter and some french fries...Sugar and fat put me in double jeopardy lol

I avoid sugar like the plague because I don't want to dump. I can still eat pizza though in moderation. I don't eat it often but my dietician says as long as I'm getting in my Protein, and staying in a calorie deficit, eat pizza!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

My dietician also told me I could eat a tiny piece of cake when it was my birthday in march. I was only 2 months post op by that point. I didn't because i was too scared to eat real cake, I made a sugar free almond flour cake instead.

but just an example you can live a realistic healthy life after surgery and enjoy treats in moderation on special occasions.

There are also a lot of great and healthier substitutes for your favorites.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm one of those dumpers that @catwoman7 mentioned.

I've never been a big cake fan, though I've always been a frosting fan ;). I'll generally eat a bite or two of my spouse's cake and suffer no harm. A whole piece looks dangerous to me. I can generally eat a snack-size candy with no ill effects while two could be a problem in the right/wrong circumstances.

Ice cream I can manage a couple scoops safely, though I generally eat slow enough that the last couple spoons full are ice cream Soup. Again, more feels dangerous.

To note, I have dumped on cake, ice cream, sweets on very small amounts when hunger, meds, health, fatigue, or any number of things enter the picture, so I have to assess where I am when I do eat such things. I'm still wrong, but rarely.

pizza is no problem, though I abandon the crust somewhat quickly, as it fills me up. I eat some perhaps once every four months. It's not what it was pre-op.

Honestly, these foods just aren't as much a part of my life as they were pre-op.

Good luck,

Tek

I am 2 months out i think... I have had a small slice of pizza, I have the no sugar added ice cream, No issues at all for me. Tho i had the sleeve.

Nope but you will wish it was true when you find out how easily you can eat these types of foods again 😉

PS I am a sleever though so your experience might be a bit different

Edited by SleeverSk

It will come down to what you choose to eat or not eat or whether you can tolerate it or not. You may choose never again, or occasional small portions or look for alternatives like pizza with low carb or cauliflower pizza crusts. Your new digestive system may say no not for you to high fat or high sugar foods & you experience dumping if you eat these foods so you don’t eat them to avoid dumping. Or you may not tolerate certain foods like some develop a lactose sensitivity.

It is really up to what works for you.

Thank you so much guys for all your replies. I’m feeling much more confident now that I know I might have a treat once in a while. I’m a pizza lover but obviously I will exert extra precautions. Surely, my body will let me know the do’s and the don’t.

Im 3.5 years out and i eat anything i want. Mind you, what i want is a little different than it was pre-wls, but still.

In terms of what I can eat, everything is fair game except excess sugar (i dump too, but I’m a sleeve), and of course anything more of what my stomach can handle in volume is also off the table, else i’ll get varying degrees of sick.

I’ve long ago learned what my limits are and can happily and easily stay within them.

You can too :)

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

I'm 10 months post op, and I can eat anything in moderation.

I'm also a pizza lover, and before my surgery I was so upset that I'd never get to eat it again.

Currently 142lb down, and can confirm I have not had to say goodbye to pizza 😁

You'll learn what you can handle as you go through your journey, you don't have to rule out everything you enjoy.