Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Is The Connecticut Band Fam

Don't be so hard on yourself!!! You will soon be getting the tool that will help you with that problem!! A salad is not such a bad choice!! You could have chosen a McDonalds shake!!! Give yourself credit!!! :huh2:

My surgeon doesn't even require a pre-op diet, but I am trying to do at least a couple of Protein Shakes per day. He smirked at me when he saw that I had gained 5lbs... They ALL know that many of us are going to eat like it is our last meal at EVERY meal!!!! Let's face it, I know I am addicted to food.....

"Guilt is the gift that keeps on giving"!!! Let the past go and focus forward!!! :lol:

I hear you I gained 20 lbs from summer to March...with my last meal syndrome....

we all do it

sharon;)

I am in need of MAJOR support. I have been on the Optifast pre-op liquid diet for 10 days and have 4 more to go. Then I have two days of clear liquid only which leads me up to surgery on 4/22. I have cheated twice (once a small salad and the 2nd time a piece of chicken) but today I almost gave up everything. I was doing well; back on track and for the last 3 days I have been having Better than bouillion broth for dinner to curb my evening hunger with a frozen SF popsicle for dessert. The problem is I have also started diarrhea. (sorry to be gross) My tummy is always grumbly and everytime I eat broth I get the runs. I am feeling so distraught I want to just give in as I don't own a scale but my clothes tell me I have not lost major weight like others on this board. I'm afraid I will jeopardize it all tomorrow especially since now I afraid to eat. For dinner tonight all I had was and Optifast and tea. Someone please help me....I feel like crying :biggrin:

ctcutie: I've read on the forum that some of the shakes give people the runs... one of the ingredients, maybe??? So maybe it's the shakes and not the broth?

Everyone on the forum moans about the liquid preop diets. wy not call the Dr's office and let them know you've completed 10 days and the problems you're having. Maybe they can suggest alternatives for the last few days.

I'm fairly sure they will still want you on liquids at least the day before surgery.

Don't worry about the weight loss yet, you're getting a band to help you. It will happen!

CTCutie: Don't worry too much about it. Sounds like you have been pretty consistent and did well for the most part. My doc doesn't even require a pre-op diet. The main purpose of it is to shrink your liver. I'm sure you've done a good job.

Call the doctor's office and tell them about your symptoms. See what they say. Most of all, don't worry about it so much.... Another option is to try another different liquid diet like Slimfast.

You'll be making enough modifications once you get banded. Don't be so hard on yourself right now.

Thanks to both of you for your support.....I will call the doctor tomorrow and email the PA tonight so she will get it first thing this morning. I appreciate your help to get me through another day.

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. MY DR DID NOT WANT ME TO HAVE THE RUNS SO HE HAD ME START EATING SOME Fiber. I WOULD CHECK WITH YOUR DR. YOU WON'T RUIN EVERYTHING.

My Dr. just said if I do eat something dont eat anything high in fat. They want to get a jump start on your weight loss and shrink your liver. Fat affects the liver.

I incorporated some lean turkey and Fiber into my pre op diet but again check with the dr. You can make it!

Dee

Look there are some doctors who don't even require a preop diet. You'll be fine. liquids tend to do that with everyone, well because their liquids. Talk to the doctor, your almost there. Everyone's weight loss is individual. I only lost 8 lbs preop. It all depends on how much weight you have to lose and your body type. Don't beat yourself up over this. Your journey has just begun. There are difficulties at all stages. Banding isn't a miracle its a process that we all need to embrace and move forward. Hang in there.....

sharon:)

Ctcutie: Come up with a plan ahead of time with your Dr. or PA about after surgery as well. It is important post op to follow the Dr.s diet.

Postop you are healing and it's best for your band, if your stomach doesn;t have to work to digest solid food, so you'll most likely have to be on liquids again, then.

The beginning is hard, it gets better after time. In a few months, you will have forgotten all about this part.

I guess I will jump in here with my CT homies and intorduce myself.

I was banded 4/8 by Dr. Valin in New Haven. Very good experience for the most part. I am happy with everything so far. I started at my first appt with a weight of 383. After the modified fast ketosis diet and the pre-op along with a little will power I was 358 day of surgury. I weighed myself @ 344 this morning so things are good.

Anyhow, I am happy to be graduating to the puree stage today...

Regards

Welcome Pounder!! Welcome to the CT thread!! I am scheduled with Dr. Roberts on May 1st. He's in New Haven too!!!

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

Celtic - I also have Empire BCBS and was approved very quickly with a BMI > 40. You should have no problem. Empire was great - they even called before the surgery to give advice on how to prepare.

Edited by awl10293

Dear all,

I am so glad to find this forum. I am scheduled for Lap Band on May 1st and am getting both excited and nervous. Having been heavy most of my life it is hard to believe my life will finally change. Any advise would definitely be appreciated. My surgeon is Dr. Choi at Danbury Hospital.

post-236992-13813136917594_thumb.png

Edited by scandido

Welcome Scandido!

Advice? Follow your doctors instruction for pre-op and post op eating to avoid complications.

Know that you'll most likely be sore for 2 to 5 days after surgery ( sometimes people are a lttle depressed, too right after surgery.

Know that you will eat real food again. You are NOT giving up food forever,just temporarily. You will give up the big portions you once ate.

You might not lose as fast as you're hoping to, as long as the scale goes down a little, it's going in the right direction.

Most of us are nervous before surgery, that's very normal. We were all excited, too!

Find the group on the forum of people that are being banded the same month as you. It's great to follow along with people at the same post op phase as you are. There are also groups based on age, or how many pounds you have to lose or info about exercise etc.

The forum is a great resource and The band is a great thing!