Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hello friends! I'm a lurker the last several months while I've been reading up on everything, fretting, and trying to be patient...but WHAMO I had my psych eval a couple of weeks ago and and as soon as that was done they scheduled me - I'm set for August 2nd and I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I saw my surgeon earlier today, and have a few appointments between now and the 2nd but it's almost here...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ECarr352 said:

My date is August1!! I can’t wait to begin the next chapter of life! I’m only 44, but you know what I mean 😁

I'm 43 and I feel like this is almost the beginning of a new life for me and it's scary, but exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tranquil_chaos said:

I'm 43 and I feel like this is almost the beginning of a new life for me and it's scary, but exciting.

Totally feel the same!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, shalliha said:

Hello friends! I'm a lurker the last several months while I've been reading up on everything, fretting, and trying to be patient...but WHAMO I had my psych eval a couple of weeks ago and and as soon as that was done they scheduled me - I'm set for August 2nd and I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I saw my surgeon earlier today, and have a few appointments between now and the 2nd but it's almost here...!

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2022 at 5:30 PM, ECarr352 said:

My date is August1!! I can’t wait to begin the next chapter of life! I’m only 44, but you know what I mean 😁

I’m 48 and I say I’m starting the second half…lol. Better late than never!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, July2014 said:

I’m 48 and I say I’m starting the second half…lol. Better late than never!

You got that right!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the angels sing hallelujah, my surgeon said I can have a cup or two of black coffee in the mornings during my pre-op diet the next two weeks and post-op (if tolerated ok) - I can give up a lot, but coffee was going to hurt 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aug 16th is when my VSG is scheduled. I was preparing myself for bypass … but my surgeon actually suggested VSG after we talked and said if we need to go further, a revision to DS (since I’m a high BMI) is her suggestion. But she’s optimistic that I will be able to meet my health goals and do well with VSG - so now the countdown begins. She will do a hernia repair and also check out my liver while she’s in there - and biopsy if needed.

Not looking forward to the 8 day liquid diet… or blood thinner injections - but I am looking forward to all the benefits to come.

I’m 48… slightly concerned my thyroid will be a challenge with loosing, but I have managed to loose 50 pounds in the past year (15 of that the last 3 weeks) so I think I have a good momentum going into this.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s progress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, LookingForward22 said:

Aug 16th is when my VSG is scheduled. I was preparing myself for bypass … but my surgeon actually suggested VSG after we talked and said if we need to go further, a revision to DS (since I’m a high BMI) is her suggestion. But she’s optimistic that I will be able to meet my health goals and do well with VSG - so now the countdown begins. She will do a hernia repair and also check out my liver while she’s in there - and biopsy if needed.

Not looking forward to the 8 day liquid diet… or blood thinner injections - but I am looking forward to all the benefits to come.

I’m 48… slightly concerned my thyroid will be a challenge with loosing, but I have managed to loose 50 pounds in the past year (15 of that the last 3 weeks) so I think I have a good momentum going into this.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s progress!

Hi there!! I also have to have a hernia repair and liver biopsy. I meet with my surgical team on Monday and I have a lot of questions. Mainly, is the recovery going to be any longer because of the added procedures? I only have 2 weeks off work after surgery because I'm a teacher and I have to be back at work when school starts. I'm a bit worried, but it will hopefully be fine.

My surgeon is having me do Optifast and I hope it will be okay. We have to choose from shakes, clear broth Soup, and bars all made by OptiFast and I know it will be challenging as it is, on top of adjusting to the taste of new shakes, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/21/2022 at 13:39, tranquil_chaos said:






Hi there!! I also have to have a hernia repair and liver biopsy. I meet with my surgical team on Monday and I have a lot of questions. Mainly, is the recovery going to be any longer because of the added procedures? I only have 2 weeks off work after surgery because I'm a teacher and I have to be back at work when school starts. I'm a bit worried, but it will hopefully be fine.




My surgeon is having me do Optifast and I hope it will be okay. We have to choose from shakes, clear broth Soup, and bars all made by Optifast and I know it will be challenging as it is, on top of adjusting to the taste of new shakes, etc.


My husband is a teacher also… so we were hoping I’d get a date before school started. (I’m cutting it close!).

Good luck with the Optifast. I have friends who use those and they like the flavor options so hopefully it won’t be to bad. 🙃

My program gives a few “menu” options to choose from, to make sure we meet nutritional and hydration guideline. I can’t do any bars or actual “meals”… however the nutritionist did say if I was struggling to call - they would help me through it to make sure I stayed on track. I’m thinking 8 days no chewing!! I know it’s psychological but I have 17 days to get myself prepared for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, tranquil_chaos said:

Hi there!! I also have to have a hernia repair and liver biopsy. I meet with my surgical team on Monday and I have a lot of questions. Mainly, is the recovery going to be any longer because of the added procedures? I only have 2 weeks off work after surgery because I'm a teacher and I have to be back at work when school starts. I'm a bit worried, but it will hopefully be fine.

My surgeon is having me do Optifast and I hope it will be okay. We have to choose from shakes, clear broth Soup, and bars all made by Optifast and I know it will be challenging as it is, on top of adjusting to the taste of new shakes, etc.

My date is also August 16, for a gastric bypass. I will also have my hernia repaired at that time. I don't envy you having to go back to school so quickly, hopefully you'll have no effects and will have your energy up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AliceFD said:

My date is also August 16, for a gastric bypass. I will also have my hernia repaired at that time. I don't envy you having to go back to school so quickly, hopefully you'll have no effects and will have your energy up.

My hernia repair(massive Type IV), gallbladder removal and RNY were done on June 8. Surgery took 2 hours. I never needed pain meds. My hospital practices ERAS (enhanced recovery after surgery) and my post op experience was uneventful and better than I ever could have hoped for. I did not have a single gas pain that so many here mention.

I’m a teacher as well and I go back august 17. Granted, I’ve been home since 6/8, but I think you will be okay. Follow your doctor’s orders, especially regarding walking, and STAY HYDRATED and rest so you heal and regain strength.

The only time I’ve been knocked off my feet has been when I haven’t met hydration requirements.

I wish I had done this years ago. It was absolutely for me a walk in the park. Seriously.
Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      To working out faithfully for 5 days a week. Lets go back to that year with a more positive mind, 
       
      SKINNY SZN HERE WE COME!!!!
       
      It's Saturday!!! My fiance and I are out doing yard work and I made the mistake of not staying hydrated before going out so now my body is shaking and weak. I have my pre-op appointment Tuesday, the 2nd and I am trying my hardest to lose another 2 lbs by then. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Hi guys!!!
      Here is my big boy Zuko and daddy. My Great Dane/Shepherd. He was our first pup that we rescued from the Humane Society. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SimplySleevedCece

      Looking for new sleeve buddies! I’m 1.5 weeks post op and things seem to be getting a little difficult! I actually WANT food again eghh! Honestly, I feel like you don’t truly understand this process unless you go through it! Don’t be shy, say hello and let’s support each other during this journey 🙂
      · 1 reply
      1. jenuinelygenuinely

        You got this!! When I had the sleeve I cried every day during the liquid phase, It was during the super-bowl! I was sooo hungry I sucked on a piece of pork rind. LOL

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      A daily dose of my youngest fur boy Ozai
       
      My blue eyed Husky/Malamute

      · 2 replies
      1. SHORTY_

        Makes me wanna 'boop' it

      2. SimplySleevedCece

        😍 Aww look at his wittle teeef!

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Meet my fur baby Azula. She is a German Shepherd/Red Heeler mix! My fiance and I rescued her on a road trip to Colorado in 2017. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×