Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Surgery Buddies!

On 07/21/2022 at 13:39, tranquil_chaos said:

Hi there!! I also have to have a hernia repair and liver biopsy. I meet with my surgical team on Monday and I have a lot of questions. Mainly, is the recovery going to be any longer because of the added procedures? I only have 2 weeks off work after surgery because I'm a teacher and I have to be back at work when school starts. I'm a bit worried, but it will hopefully be fine.

My surgeon is having me do Optifast and I hope it will be okay. We have to choose from shakes, clear broth Soup, and bars all made by Optifast and I know it will be challenging as it is, on top of adjusting to the taste of new shakes, etc.

My hernia repair(massive Type IV), gallbladder removal and RNY were done on June 8. Surgery took 2 hours. I never needed pain meds. My hospital practices ERAS (enhanced recovery after surgery) and my post op experience was uneventful and better than I ever could have hoped for. I did not have a single gas pain that so many here mention.

I’m a teacher as well and I go back august 17. Granted, I’ve been home since 6/8, but I think you will be okay. Follow your doctor’s orders, especially regarding walking, and STAY HYDRATED and rest so you heal and regain strength.

The only time I’ve been knocked off my feet has been when I haven’t met hydration requirements.

I wish I had done this years ago. It was absolutely for me a walk in the park. Seriously. 
Good luck!

On 07/22/2022 at 12:56, AliceFD said:

My date is also August 16, for a gastric bypass. I will also have my hernia repaired at that time. I don't envy you having to go back to school so quickly, hopefully you'll have no effects and will have your energy up.

Thankfully - my husband is the teacher… I’m just a volunteer… so I have the flexibly to take my time. But my husbands boss is amazing and told him to “take care of her and we will work around what you guys need”.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:21 AM, CellieMil said:

Hi all! I'm scheduled for Aug 17 as well. Rny. Currently on my liver-shrinking diet (1 month )

Sent from my SM-G991U using BariatricPal mobile app

What does your plan allow you to have during your liver-shrinking diet?

On 6/27/2022 at 12:36 PM, I Am Enough! said:

Yes! I have American Eskimos and they are my sweetest babies! I never knew how much love I could have for them :D

I have 3 fur babies! I love them so dearly! I have a Great Dane/Shepherd, Shepherd/Red Heeler, and a Malamute/Siberian. They all have different personalities but the most misbehaved one is my husky LOL!

8 minutes ago, jenuinelygenuinely said:

I have 3 fur babies! I love them so dearly! I have a Great Dane/Shepherd, Shepherd/Red Heeler, and a Malamute/Siberian. They all have different personalities but the most misbehaved one is my husky LOL!

WOW - that's so awesome! Yes, they definitely take a lot of training, but they're love is sooo worth it. My furbabies have really helped me along this WLS journey. I'm so blessed to have them ❤️

I’m scheduled for my ESG with plication on August 9th! I’m excited but also nervous. As I’m going through the paperwork and making sure I have everything prepared , I noticed no Peanut Butter is allowed , even after the 45 day mark? I live on peanut butter and coffee lol. I will do whatever it takes but was just wondering if I’m going to have to learn to live without the 2?

2 hours ago, LMac67 said:

I’m scheduled for my ESG with plication on August 9th! I’m excited but also nervous. As I’m going through the paperwork and making sure I have everything prepared , I noticed no Peanut Butter is allowed , even after the 45 day mark? I live on Peanut Butter and coffee lol. I will do whatever it takes but was just wondering if I’m going to have to learn to live without the 2?

Have you tried PB2? For me its coffee! I live off of that stuff plus the cream!

Well I’m getting psyched up for my surgery on the second. The one thing that has me freaking out is that apparently I’m going to have to give myself injections of anticoagulant afterward…in my stomach….how did I miss this in the bazillion videos and posts I’ve pored over??? I have a high pain tolerance and I’m not afraid of much but I am a huge baby and terrified when it comes to needles. I may have to have my husband do it for me I don’t know if I’ll be able to stand it…gahhh, isn’t there just a pill for that? 😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, shalliha said:

Well I’m getting psyched up for my surgery on the second. The one thing that has me freaking out is that apparently I’m going to have to give myself injections of anticoagulant afterward…in my stomach….how did I miss this in the bazillion videos and posts I’ve pored over??? I have a high pain tolerance and I’m not afraid of much but I am a huge baby and terrified when it comes to needles. I may have to have my husband do it for me I don’t know if I’ll be able to stand it…gahhh, isn’t there just a pill for that? 😂😂😂

I had shots in the belly while in the hospital but was given Eliquis pills - 2/day for 1 month - when I arrived home. I’ve done belly injections before, and I was initially scared as heck to do them, but after giving myself the first one, I was fine. The secret for pretty much everyone is to ice the injection site before giving the shot. And then ice afterwards. The icing makes the shot impossible to feel and cuts down on bruising. I also have a very high tolerance for pain, and I’m sure you can do this. Additionally, the needles are very small…usually they are the size used for insulin…really small. I never felt a thing. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery and good luck. Personally, this surgery is the best thing I’ve ever done for me. My surgery was 6/8/22.

2 hours ago, shalliha said:

I opted for B12 injections because its easier than taking the pill daily LOL! and its into the belly.

My surgery was scheduled for Aug. 1. The morning before they called to cancel because the surgeon was not available to operate (it sounded like they got sick). It was devastating after waiting so long and going though a two week liquid diet.

They called on Aug. 3 to reschedule for Sept. 20. I’m excited to have a date again, but I’m not looking forward to redoing the prep and waiting so long. I guess I’m a Sept. Buddy now.

Wishing all of you Aug Buddies the best on your surgery day!

Absolutely mortified!!! I bought a case of 18 Premier Protein shakes from costco and there's a recall on them!! The LOT # matches!

Hey everyone! I’m finishing up my Post Op Day 1, I had surgery yesterday. Pain was pretty bad yesterday, but managed with the IV medication that starts with a D (I’ve already forgotten the name). All I had by mouth yesterday was ice chips. Very tired. Walked around my room a few hours after being post-op recovery. Took loop around the floor later that evening. Didn’t sleep at all at night because they literally were in my room doing tests at all hours of the night. I was also very nauseous so they gave me zofran and I never vomited.

Day 2 started with only ice chips until after my barium swallow study was complete. That barium Fluid tasted exactly like what Harry made Dumbledore drink during the lake scene. Never have I ever tasted anything like that. My bowels took forever, so I didn’t start on Clear Liquids until late afternoon. 1 oz per 30 minutes. Lots of gurgling!!!

Much less pain by the afternoon Day 2. They took me off the IV pain med and moved me to Percocet pills and they last longer in the system so that’s good.

My surgery was at 7:30am so I’ll have been in the hospital Tuesday, Wednesday and at least the morning of Thursday. Looking forward to going home even though this hospital is so nice (it’s brand new with it’s only bariatric wing).

i did a week of strict Optifast shakes only and did a self prescribed bowel prep because I have horrible Constipation and I wanted all that out before surgery. I lost 11 pounds in that week, so I was down to 251.1 on my surgery date.

full liquid starting tomorrow. They want me to have 3 portions of 2 oz per day. There is no way I’ll come close to my Protein goals.

let me know if you have any questions!