Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, sleeved 4 days ago. I have awful pain on the right large incision. They said this is where they pulled the stomach out. I can’t bend over to tie my shoes, put socks on, get up without pain etc. it literally feels like the insides of me are going to come apart. I called the dr and they said it’s normal. But I don’t see as many people complaining about it like I am. All the pain meds and heating pad is not helping me. I go back to work in 2 days and I’m so nervous. Also I have anxiety that I have a leak.. but everyone says that’s near impossible but I think the worst. Anyone out there having the same issues? Incisions are not black and blue or have puss or drainage coming out. Still have the surgical glue on.

Thanks!!!

Hi there! I am here to assure you as well that it is normal from what you’re describing. It was very painful. I too had the same pain. I had to rest. Take my painkillers and sleep. Our body restores when we sleep. I was crying in pain from it. But if went away within a week. I used a hot pad to help and it helped a lot as well as with the gas. Your going back to work fairly soon but I know we all don’t have the luxury of staying out for weeks. Definitely take it easy and listen to your body. You may run out of energy soon after you start your work day that is also normal.

I pray you feel better soon.

Ok, breathe. It’s ok. It’s only been four days since a pretty major surgery. You’ve had 80+/-% of your tummy removed. There are lots of staples & sutures holding your tummy together. You have been inflated with gas & had your insides pushed, prodded & pulled. You’re supposed to be in pain. Give yourself time to heal. The gas pain, surgical pain & muscular pain will reduce. Some people find improvement after 3 or 4 days while others a week. We’re all different. Even our ability to tolerate pain is different & that’s ok too.

Contact your employer & see if you can negotiate a delay to your return to work or maybe a staged part time return if you think you will need it. Again we’re all different & you may need longer to recover. A friend was back after a week no problem Another needed three weeks. Me, I needed four weeks & still only returned to work part time. (My blood pressure was very low & my energy levels were zip.)

You’d know if you had a leak. They’re pretty rare these days. Symptoms to look for include:

• Dizziness
  • Fever
  • Shortness of breath or fast breathing - more than 18 breaths a minute
  • Fast heart rate - higher than 120 beats per minute
  • Worsening abdominal pain
  • Chest pain
  • shoulder pain (not from the gas escaping)
  • A general feeling of illness and anxiety

Be kind to yourself & your body. You’ve been through a lot.

Dealt with that same pain. That large incision on me where they pulled the stomach thru can get painful. I had surgery on April 18th and i still have pain there. It gets better.

I had this pain too in my large incision. And just as it was improving I bent over (putting my dog in its crate) and pulled it and it hurt all over again for another few days. I agree it might be best to take another few days off work if you can at all. Poor you - huge sympathies, it's nasty.

What you're describing sounds perfectly normal. Why are you so afraid of a leak? Didn't they "leak test" you before you left the hospital?

Thanks everyone! & yes they did a leak test in the hospital. But I just stress and think the worst.

Thanks everyone! & yes they did a leak test in the hospital. But I just stress and think the worst.
I had my surgery march 31st the only pain I had was the large incision only for 2 days alot better no pain took pain pills for 2 days that was it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/29/2022 at 9:36 PM, Vsgbethany22 said:

Hello, sleeved 4 days ago. I have awful pain on the right large incision. They said this is where they pulled the stomach out. I can’t bend over to tie my shoes, put socks on, get up without pain etc. it literally feels like the insides of me are going to come apart. I called the dr and they said it’s normal. But I don’t see as many people complaining about it like I am. All the pain meds and heating pad is not helping me. I go back to work in 2 days and I’m so nervous. Also I have anxiety that I have a leak.. but everyone says that’s near impossible but I think the worst. Anyone out there having the same issues? Incisions are not black and blue or have puss or drainage coming out. Still have the surgical glue on.

Thanks!!!

ME!!! I'm literally dealing with this right now. My largest incision on my left side OMG it hurts so bad. That and the muscle under it. Hurts to stand up straight, bend over, cough, or basically do anything. Mine also has the glue on it still. I've been complaining on here about mine lol I'll tell you what I was told. It's completely normal. The largest and most painful incision is the one the stomach was removed from. It'll hurt longer than the others, but it'll be better before long. Hang in there!!!

On 4/30/2022 at 7:53 AM, GradyCat said:

Didn't they "leak test" you before you left the hospital?

I was told mine was done while in the OR before they took me to the recovery room. Is that the only one they do?

1 minute ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I was told mine was done while in the OR before they took me to the recovery room. Is that the only one they do?

If they did a leak test on me it was during surgery because I don’t remember one.