Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kinda TMI question...

So I just realized that I'm set to get my monthly enemy literally on my surgery day (May 3rd). I get it between the 2nd - 4th every month. Has that been the case for any of you? And how did you handle it in the hospital and when you got home? I feel like my stomach and the gas and incisions will make it really difficult and painful to deal with tampons (that's what I use) and even if I use pads, I feel like that would still be an issue since I have PCOS and my flow is typically REALLY heavy for 3 or 4 days and then goes away (I mean Niagara Falls kinda heavy, which is why I don't use pads). Any advice or suggestions? My husband can help me with most things, but definitely not this lol Thanks in advance!

Suggestion - Pray it's late, lol. I mean just regular late, not a pregnancy scare.

But all joking aside, I've always scheduled my surgeries around it. So it's never happened to me personally. I'm sure it happens a lot. Nurses are used to dealing with this. But I do know they won't let you use tampons during surgery, due to the risk of TSS and probably other infection risks. But when you're awake and ambulatory I think they'll let you use tampons. I think they provide some sort of pad for surgery, and they will change it as needed during surgery. It's nothing to worry about if it does actually happen on your surgery date. Oh and be thankful for the good pain meds you'll get after surgery that will help with the cramps!

Edited by BypassingMyPhatAss

5 hours ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

So I just realized that I'm set to get my monthly enemy literally on my surgery day (May 3rd). I get it between the 2nd - 4th every month. Has that been the case for any of you? And how did you handle it in the hospital and when you got home? I feel like my stomach and the gas and incisions will make it really difficult and painful to deal with tampons (that's what I use) and even if I use pads, I feel like that would still be an issue since I have PCOS and my flow is typically REALLY heavy for 3 or 4 days and then goes away (I mean Niagara Falls kinda heavy, which is why I don't use pads). Any advice or suggestions? My husband can help me with most things, but definitely not this lol Thanks in advance!

Get a doctor to prescribe Tranexamic. Acid - it says it comes in liquid form. This should make the event much lighter and with less pain.

Edited by Possum220

5 hours ago, Possum220 said:

Get a doctor to prescribe Tranexamic. Acid - it says it comes in liquid form. This should make the event much lighter and with less pain.

I've never heard of this!!! I'll look into it. Thanks!

I was spotting the day of my sleeve back in 2017. I had a pad in, mentioned it to the nurses and they just asked “is it maxi?” 🤣 turns out you can leak a little during surgery anyway soooo yeah. Pad was not a big deal.

I've seen a lot of posts about people who weren't even due for their period but got it the day of surgery. Just tell the hospital what is going on, and they will take care of you. They are used to body fluids LOL.

Good luck!