Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hunger is back and I’m gaining.

I am currently just over a year out from sleeve surgery. My goal was 160 but the lowest I got was 169. I was beginning to accept that weight but now it has been creeping up ever since and this morning I was 179. I have still been eating good, but more. Around 1200-1400 calories a day. I thought that would be okay… that would at least maintain the 169 but I’m starting to realize that I need to keep the calories even lower. Probably because I am not very active. Idk what I am looking for in terms of a response. I think I am just putting this out there to hold myself accountable. I hadn’t even updated my profile to reflect the gain because I am so ashamed. I have got to stop snacking between meals I know it but it’s so hard with the hunger back. Did anyone else start gaining back this early out. Could it be because I was lower BMI to start and 169 really was my set point and this is the 10 pound bounce back? I guess I could be happy at this weight, but not any heavier, i am just really hoping that I don’t gain anymore.

a 10-20 lb gain after you hit your lowest weight is unfortunately very common. I think it's just your body settling in to where it wants to be. However, that doesn't mean you can't lose it - it'll just be a challenge - and will also be a challenge to keep it there. Dealing with the same thing myself...

I'm more than a year out and have regained that 15 pounds too. I know its common but after so many years spent watching the scale go up and up - I cant help but worry that 15 pounds will turn into 20 then 25 then next thing I know I'm back to my surgery weight!

psst... my ticker is also a lie! It says I'm at 130 but I'm really at 143. But its been a while since I've messed with it and cant remember how to change it. Not that I'm trying too hard 😳

So what I decided to do was track my food again. And join a gym. I figure if I'm going to spend the time and money to work out I dont want it to go to waste by over eating or eating unhealthy.

50 minutes ago, KCgirl061 said:

I'm more than a year out and have regained that 15 pounds too. I know its common but after so many years spent watching the scale go up and up - I cant help but worry that 15 pounds will turn into 20 then 25 then next thing I know I'm back to my surgery weight!

psst... my ticker is also a lie! It says I'm at 130 but I'm really at 143. But its been a while since I've messed with it and cant remember how to change it. Not that I'm trying too hard 😳

So what I decided to do was track my food again. And join a gym. I figure if I'm going to spend the time and money to work out I dont want it to go to waste by over eating or eating unhealthy.

Ugh I am contemplating joining a gym. I just wish they had an a women's only one closer to me.

I know how you feel @ShoppGirl. I’ve put on a little weight too this year (about 2 kgs) which I can’t lose. I hadn’t updated my weight here either but your post motivated me to do it. I’ve been struggling with the head aspects of the gain & you may think oh it’s only 2kgs but to me it’s 2kg in a giant loud hailer voice in my head & that it may be just the beginning. Logically I know there’s nothing wrong with what I weigh but I’d rather I was 49 again which I’d been stable at for over a year (48.5-49.5 fluctuation). I tell myself it’s just a number but …. Today I bought a new outfit for winter & all the while I’m agonising over the worry that if I continue to gain it may not fit when I want to wear it. Experienced that a lot in the past. Plus I’ve been avoiding the scale. Another old habit to avoid the reality of what I weigh. I know some of the cause has been because I’ve been trying to up my Protein a little (I don’t absorb it well) & though I’ve reduced some things it’s obviously not been enough. I’m not very active either (I agree - gyms ugh!) but I have thrown in a couple of extra things to my usual daily running about routines & gentle stretching like standing push ups. May not help with my weight but might tone my arms a little. Gotta find a positive.

My surgeon’s colleague was fine with the gain when I saw her 6 weeks ago for my 3 monthly check up. It’s just that I’m not. Sigh!

The struggle is real. I remember when I had the WLS thinking, "What dummy would eat crap again and gain weight after this?" Well, I'm that dummy. It happens. We just have to refocus on the basics again.

That’s the frustrating thing for me: I’m not eating crap. Still keeping to my same food options. No sweet Snacks, no fast food, no takeaway, no carbonated drinks, etc. sneaking into my diet. Don’t have it in my house. Don’t buy it when I’m out. Upped my Fluid intake (was getting in a good 1.5L now almost 2 L). Upped my activity a bit (not as much as you have @GradyCat). Cut back on a few small things - less Salad Dressing & bought diet, alternating low fat milk with full cream, etc. The increased Protein has meant increased portion sizes & calories but the cuts & changes to my diet aren’t equaling the increases yet. I just hope the Creons I’ve been prescribed again work better this time & help me absorb more from what I eat so I can reduce my intake a bit. Grrr! Gotta try to work out my new balance of consuming & using.

1 hour ago, Arabesque said:

That’s the frustrating thing for me: I’m not eating crap. Still keeping to my same food options. No sweet Snacks, no fast food, no takeaway, no carbonated drinks, etc. sneaking into my diet. Don’t have it in my house. Don’t buy it when I’m out. Upped my Fluid intake (was getting in a good 1.5L now almost 2 L). Upped my activity a bit (not as much as you have @GradyCat). Cut back on a few small things - less Salad Dressing & bought diet, alternating low fat milk with full cream, etc. The increased Protein has meant increased portion sizes & calories but the cuts & changes to my diet aren’t equaling the increases yet. I just hope the Creons I’ve been prescribed again work better this time & help me absorb more from what I eat so I can reduce my intake a bit. Grrr! Gotta try to work out my new balance of consuming & using.

Yea I’m not eating bad food either. I am just eating more of the food I have been eating because I am still hungry. I did lose one pound though so I’m hoping I at least won’t gain anymore. I know One pound could be Water weight but I’m cautiously optimistic.

So at some point i theorize that each of us have to realize what it takes to maintain a certain weight and IF we are willing to put in the effort to stay there (and the reality is it will easier to do for some more than others).

I spent a good two years gaining and losing the same 3-5 lbs in an effort to stay as close to the bottom (or preferably below) my self-imposed “happy weight range”. If/when i got within 1-2 lbs of the top of this range i was already going into self-correct mode. It happened often enough to become a chore. So I finally decided to up this range by 5 lbs last year and its like a weight off my shoulders. I haven’t had to self-correct since.

Honestly it feels ridiculous now given that my happy weight range was a measly 5lb spread, but when i was committed to that original range, i took it very seriously and as a result it was a source of some low-key anxiety at times.

It’s difficult to do, to switch gears from something you’ve been doing/thinking/believing for so long and that produced results in the past.

As time goes by, i have been appreciating the value of peace of mind over numbers. But thats just me.

So…are you content with where you are? Physically, emotionally and all that? If not, will the efforts required to achieve this content make you more or less content than u are now? You decide.

Whichever way you choose, there are a ton of people on here that will support you either way.

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss