Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ve been feeling unwell for a couple of days now and it keeps getting worse.
At first I noticed my portions were getting smaller and smaller, was feeling nauseous after eating more often, then got a headache Wednesday night that hasn’t really gone away since. Felt a little dizzy last night and today I am VERY dizzy. Almost like I’m tipsy, my vision is swimming and I feel like my balance is way off.
Weirdest thing.. for lunch today I had a slice of bread with américain (spreadable spiced minced meat.. it’s a Belgian thing 😬) which is low fat low sugar and right after eating it I felt SO DIZZY and lightheaded. Not nauseous, but I knew that if i moved in the slightest I’d pass out. Both bread and that spread are completely ok for me to eat per my surgeon.
I waited until I was quite hungry to eat a snack just now, and I had one bite of sausage and IMMEDIATELY I was completely put off, my stomach felt like it was cramping. 😫 it kind of feels like it’s stuck where my bra band sits.

I just did a self test and I’m negative, so that easy answer isn’t it.. I’m so confused guys 😫 I’m 5 months po (MGB) right now and haven’t had any issues up until now.

Any help or tips would be immensely appreciated

My guess would have been COVID but you've tested negative for that. Hmmm. Migraine? I get nauseous and dizzy and headache with migraine.

Did you do the test right away or a couple days after you had symptoms. I ask cause I read about a lot of false negatives with the self tests if you do it too soon. I am asking about a COVID test. Or were you referring to a pregnancy test.

Edited by ShoppGirl

9 hours ago, Summermoose said:

I’ve been feeling unwell for a couple of days now and it keeps getting worse.
At first I noticed my portions were getting smaller and smaller, was feeling nauseous after eating more often, then got a headache Wednesday night that hasn’t really gone away since. Felt a little dizzy last night and today I am VERY dizzy. Almost like I’m tipsy, my vision is swimming and I feel like my balance is way off.
Weirdest thing.. for lunch today I had a slice of bread with américain (spreadable spiced minced meat.. it’s a Belgian thing 😬) which is low fat low sugar and right after eating it I felt SO DIZZY and lightheaded. Not nauseous, but I knew that if i moved in the slightest I’d pass out. Both bread and that spread are completely ok for me to eat per my surgeon.
I waited until I was quite hungry to eat a snack just now, and I had one bite of sausage and IMMEDIATELY I was completely put off, my stomach felt like it was cramping. 😫 it kind of feels like it’s stuck where my bra band sits.

I just did a self test and I’m negative, so that easy answer isn’t it.. I’m so confused guys 😫 I’m 5 months po (MGB) right now and haven’t had any issues up until now.

Any help or tips would be immensely appreciated

find a place that does the PCR test (the one you can get at pharmacies and doctor's offices - where they send your sample off to a lab and it takes 2-3 days to get it back). The antigen tests (the ones you do at home or the 15-minute ones you can have done at some places) aren't as accurate with the omicron variant as it was with the earlier variants - but the PCR is still very accurate with omicron.

Go to your closest medical centre or get an appointment with your GP. You shouldn’t be feeling this unwell.

Doesn’t sound like the traditional COVID symptoms but they do change with each new variant so 🤷🏻‍♀️. Could be some other virus like vertigo virus, low blood pressure, hypoglycaemic episodes, …. or something that’s happened in your digestive system.

All the best.

How is your blood Iron level? When my iron levels get low that is EXACTLY how I feel.

This sounds a ton like COVID, but it could be a lot of other things, including symptoms of malnutrition, which is always a concern for those of us with highly malabsorptive procedures (MGB, DS etc.)

I'd reach out for a doctor pretty much now, and do beware many doctors don't take bariatric patients' concerns seriously. Then try another or push as hard as you can. It's not normal to feel like this, and the literature on MGB doesn't describe adverse effects like this in general.

Edit: COVID manifests in the GI tract for 21% of the infected (with delta, though). I am pretty sure we're more at risk for that due to the lack of a natural acidic environment that a normal stomach has.

Edited by Guest

Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions!
My Iron levels were actually perfect mid December, except for ferritin which was quite high. I don’t think it’s a Migraine either, I have those and it feels very different.
I called my surgeons assistant yesterday and she asked me to ring back Wednesday if I don’t feel better by then.. she’s not sure it sounds like something to do with my surgery.
because of your suggestions I ended up booking a PCR test this morning and just got the negative result back (the self test I mentioned was for COVID).
I’m seeing a GP tomorrow even if it’s just for a doctors note because I am honestly not able to do any meaningful work 😫 I can’t concentrate at all. Haven’t felt as crap as yesterday after lunch but still it feels I’ve had too much to drink (except it isn’t fun at all).
So weird to say but I was almost disappointed that it’s not Covid because now it’s a big unknown and I don’t know what to expect 😫

How are you feeling? Did you figure out what it was?

On 02/01/2022 at 19:32, lizonaplane said:

How are you feeling? Did you figure out what it was?

Thanks for asking 🤗

I saw a GP yesterday and he thinks it’s a combination of low blood pressure and some sort of virus. He told me to take excedrin, drink coffee, eat salty things and rest and tbh I do feel less dizzy and confused! Just very fatigued still and struggling to get in my food.
I’m really glad I went because I was worried it’d be something more serious.

Try an electrolyte drink too. It will give you a boost of energy. I carried some with me for months & I often take some with me if I’m going to be active. Low BP can be can be difficult to deal with - the vision fade outs, doughy or thick head, energy drops, … I have it all day every day. My BP sits around 70+/- over 50+/- but it’s not uncommon for it to be lower.

Personally I’d avoid the coffee & try tea instead - less caffeine. You don’t need the shakes from too much caffeine on top of everything else. Keep your fluids up.

Hope you feel better soon.