Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on December 27, 2021. I have always had gas problems years before surgery and I’m lactose intolerant which I’ve always taken supplements like gas prevention and a pill that helps digest lactose before every meal. Now post surgery I’m having so much gas pain when I eat or drink anything. It makes me stop eating or drinking. It’s like a terrible gas cramp when any type of food or Fluid hits my stomach. I feel like I have another problem besides gas pain I think I’m dehydrated. I have not been able to advance to full liquid diet. I’m still on clear liquid mostly Gatorade. I did take Gasx helped for a little while but came back. I feel like I just made a big mistake by getting this surgery.

So one key is to take tiny little sips all throughout the day. And you're not using a straw, are you? No straws! You don't want excess gas getting in there. Keep in mind too that they filled your stomach full of gas to have the surgery and it takes a while to work its way out.

I heard many experience gas after surgery no matter if your sleeved or RNY. And heard it does get better. I had a RNY and did experience some issues but not horribly. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for your reply. Yes it helps. It makes me feel a little better to know others have gone through this also and eventually it resolves.

I had surgery December 28, I noticed I was having pain from propel Water. Today I started drinking room temp water and it’s for sure helped . Also walking has helped . I hope you feel better .

If you have signs of dehydration such as dark urine contact your clinic and they should be able to arrange for you to get fluids somewhere as an out patient. I was so worried I was gonna end up back in the hospital about this. I didn’t realize that it was not really a big deal to get fluids.

The possible dehydration is a concern. Go to your nearest hospital or medical centre as you may need some IV fluids. As @ShoppGirl said getting IV fluids isn’t a big deal but being dehydrated is.

It takes a good week for the gas they used to inflate your abdomen during surgery to escape. You’ll probably notice discomfort in your shoulder - a sign the gas is slowly dissipating. Walking, even around your home, is the best treatment besides GasX.

Difficulty with swallowing is from post surgical swelling. It improves a lot after a few days. I found warm liquids more soothing too like @Lindsayleigh86. Make sure you’re sipping slowly as well to avoid taking in more gas and no carbonated liquids.

If you’re lactose intolerant, watch the Protein Shakes when you start them as many are based on lactose. Are lots of lactose free ones available but you may have to look about to find the right ones for you. Plenty of lactose free yoghurts, milk, cheese etc available too for when you’re ready.

It’s a pretty major surgery & it takes a while for you to fully heal & recover. Plus it’s a huge change to your life & everything is new & different. So it’s ok to have doubts. It does get better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches