Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Hunger Pangs?

Good Morning & Happy Holidays Surgery Buds! I'm 4 days Post-Op (Surgery was Mon 12/20/21) and have been experiencing painful hunger pains since yesterday evening. I've been careful to ensure LOTS of fluids (mostly Water & Protein shakes) every 10-15 minutes as directed by my care team. I've been sure to get 64 + ounces of Fluid daily. Still the pangs persist.

Has anyone else experienced this or know how I might get them to subside?

Thanks & Good Luck everyone!

Hello. I cannot tell you when they subside, but I did/am experiencing the same thing (sleeve surgery 11/30/21). When I inquire about it, I am told that it might not be hunger pains, but it sure feels like it. I can tell you that once you can eat pureed/soft foods, you will feel fuller when you eat, but I still do get very hungry in between meals. It is getting slightly better.

I have heard people on here say that what they thought was hunger turned out to be heartburn? Most of us lose our hunger but there are the rare few that did not. I would work with your team though to try to narrow it down.

Hello I had my surgery on the 15th and yes I’m trying to adjust to not eating & dinking plenty of fluids.

I had surgery 12/14 and I have them too. I don’t think there’s much we can do until we get to more substantial foods.

it will go away, I am 5 months out now and only just starting to get the empty gnawing feeling under control, i was getting even straight after eating. i found having a drink about 15 minutes before eating helped and once i had a drink 30 mins after eating it seem to settle it too. I put it down to the fact i always drank and ate at the same time and now that is missing i still feel hungry sometimes after eating but a drink usually fixes it

Edited by SleeverSk